We can vote | Election Day

by Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. on November 6, 2012

in Special Occasions, We Can Vote on Election Day

Today is Election Day, 2012 and everywhere you go in our community, you will see campaign signs lined up and down the street; televisions tuned into election day news; adults standing in line to cast a vote; everyone guessing who the winner will be; waiting  to find out what the final count will be; and all of this now has us waiting for the final results…

Community, signs, rallies, choosing favorites, making decisions, standing in line, voting, predicting, counting, finding out results – Hmmm – we know how to do all that too! And so we did.  Come and take a look at our election day in preschool only you wont have to wait for the results!

Meet the candidates

Al Alligator  - he is a very green alligator who seems kind of grouchy. He snaps at everyone when he speaks.

Georgia Giraffe – she is a very tall giraffe who speaks with a kind soft voice.

Getting to know our candidates

Georgia Giraffe  says, “If I win, I will reach up high into the trees and give everyone an apple to eat.”

Al Alligator says, “You better vote for me or I will make everyone go to bed early and no one will get to eat their supper!”

Waiting in a line to cast a vote

Oh my goodness – we had to wait in a line to cast our vote!  Just like the grown-ups do!

Casting a vote

Everyone placed their “X” next to the candidate they liked best and then folded up their ballot and dropped it in the ballot box….

We took turns voting behind the curtain so our votes would be private…

Tallying up the results

After the votes were all in (and after snack of course), we counted up the total number of votes for each of our candidates. Poor Al Alligator, he only got 4 votes but Georgia Giraffe invited Al Alligator to be her helper so everyone wins! Hooray!

Getting to know the Candidates

Throughout the day, many of the children spent time getting to know our candidates…

Making Campaign signs

One of the most important parts of a campaign sign is our names so we decorated our names for our very own campaign signs…

Posting our campaign signs

We put our signs out so all the parents would see them at the end of the day…

A Preschool Rally

Celebrating our big election at the end of the day!

We hope you enjoyed our preschool version of Election Day, 2012!

-Deborah Stewart on Google+ or Teach Preschool G+ Page

1 Lindsey Whitney November 6, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Love it! Very cute. I especially like the little ballots.

2 Deb @ Living Montessori Now November 6, 2012 at 7:46 pm

This is awesome … I love it, Deborah! It’s wonderful that the children experienced the whole voting process! I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page and pinned it to my Kids’ Government Activities Board at http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/kids-government-activities/

3 Megan @ CoffeeCupsandCrayons November 6, 2012 at 8:53 pm

What a great activity! So many learning activities packed into one fun day! I love all of the election process background knowledge they are building while use their decision making skills. Fantastic!

4 The Many Thoughts of a Reader November 6, 2012 at 9:05 pm

awesome! we didn’t have school today, but yesterday we had an election/vote over a special activity to happen on thursday. ;)

5 Trisha November 6, 2012 at 10:39 pm

This is wonderful!

6 Cathie November 6, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Good idea. Looks like they learned and had fun, too.

Cathie @ toddlersthroughpreschool.com

7 Ann November 7, 2012 at 3:32 am

thanks

8 Mud Hut Mama November 7, 2012 at 4:13 am

Such wonderful ideas for explaining the election process to preschoolers! I love it and I adore your candidates!

9 Virginia Scott November 7, 2012 at 9:33 am

When I had a preschool we would talk about the importance of voting and then on election day we voted on our afternoon snack.We had a choice of 2 and the one with the most votes won and was what we had. Gave everyone I voted today stickers after casting their vote. Loved those times!

10 Lisa November 7, 2012 at 5:19 pm

What a great learning experience – well done!

11 Marnie November 7, 2012 at 6:30 pm

I am in love with this activity! Well done, Deborah!

12 Cassie @ 3Dinosaurs.com November 7, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I love this! So much fun!

13 Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas November 7, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I really LOVE what you did for Election Day. My girls were very into the Presidential election this year. They discussed the candidates and their families in school and were very opinionated on who had the best pets, etc. It was wonderful the tidbits they came home with and were impressed by. I wish I would have done something like this with them yesterday at home. Btw, I adore your candidates and the fact that Al Alligator got a few rascaly votes :)

14 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. November 9, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Don’t you love that Al got a few votes too! I only wish I knew which little rascals voted for him! LOL! The children wouldn’t let me peak while they marked their ballots!

15 Fonts4TeachersBlog November 7, 2012 at 10:41 pm

That was an interesting activity.
Thanks Deborah

16 Krista November 9, 2012 at 12:31 pm

This is such a fun idea! I know the daycare that I am at had kids just talking about the election like crazy on Tuesday, but we didn’t really know what to do with it. Maybe it could even now be a fun follow up activity since the kids have been hearing about it for so long.

17 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. November 9, 2012 at 9:16 pm

I was thinking that voting doesn’t have to only go along with a big election day! Young children love to vote and the process could be tied into just about anything you love to vote on!

18 Lisa November 10, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Wow! I love it. Too bad a big election only comes around every 4 years. I feel like I missed the boat a little this year in my classroom. We did not do much for election day.

19 Tasha @ Preschool November 11, 2012 at 3:03 am

Great learning method, it will helps to develop skill to find the dissimilarities and similarities between any two things, which is very good to grow their mind in future, Just love all the above picture. Awesome !

{ 1 trackback }