Creative Christmas Countdown: Day 4 | Thank You Cards

by Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. on December 4, 2011

in Special Occasions, Thank You Cards

I am thrilled to take part in the Creative Christmas Countdown sponsored by Creative with Kids and today is Day 4 of the Creative Christmas Countdown! So here is a little something I have prepared for you all…

Creative Christmas Countdown

Getting preschoolers to sit down and create a whole bunch of thank you cards is not an easy task. I don’t know about the children in your class or home, but I am lucky to get the kids to sit down and make one card yet alone a whole set of cards.  But teaching children to be thankful for the gifts they receive and helping them demonstrate being thankful is an important part of this season so I have prepared a little idea for making thank you cards at home that I hope you will enjoy….

The first thing you will need are some pieces of artwork your child has already created.  I hope you have been saving some of the art that either comes home from preschool or that you make at home with your child.  If you have, then you are all ready set to go. If you haven’t, then just let your children try a little finger painting, cookie cutter painting, or any type of art they think is fun!

Once you select a few pieces of artwork, then you can turn that artwork into simple thank you cards. You can either copy the artwork on a copy machine or you can take a photo of the artwork with a digital camera.  Once you copy and save photos of your child’s artwork, then you can shrink the artwork down to “wallet size photos” and then print or glue them on a thank you card….

I chose to use my digital camera so I could take photos of the artwork.  I like being able to take photos of different kinds of artwork.  This is a photo of a nature shadow box

And this is a photo of a construction paper fire truck

And this is a photo of a cookie cutter painting…

And this is a photo of blue and yellow ball painting

This is a great way to share your child’s creativity with others and still keep the original for yourself!

Inside each of my cards I wrote the words…

The artwork on this card

I made all by myself.

I am sending it to you

So you can put it on your shelf.

With love,

(child’s Name)

And I left some room for the child to print his or her name or to add a little more artwork if feeling inspired! You can certainly personalize your cards a little more but I wanted to make some that I could use any time throughout the year….

Now let me invite you to come and join in on the Creative Christmas Countdown! Below is a calendar of ideas that have already been shared and that are going to be shared! I hope you will check it out!

1. Let Kids Create
19. Toddler Approved
20. Dinosaurs & Octopuses
21. Creative With Kids
22. Science Sparks
23. The Outlaw Mom Blog
24. Creative Connections For Kids

Check out all the beautiful Christmas cards over at Dilly-Dali Art!

-Teach Preschool on Instagram
-Deborah Stewart on Google+

1 cathy @ nurturestore December 4, 2011 at 7:08 am

I love this idea Deborah – as a way of encouraging children to show thanks and as a wonderful way to re-use their paintings. Adding a card or frame really does add a special touch to their art.

2 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 4, 2011 at 10:11 am

Yes, it is also a great way to save their art forever:)

3 Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas December 4, 2011 at 8:50 am

I love using their artwork for this! such a personal way for them to share a little bit of themselves. Wonderful!

4 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 4, 2011 at 10:12 am

Thank you – I wish I had done this when my daughter was little!

5 Kristi @ Creative Connections for Kids December 4, 2011 at 9:13 am

Love this Deborah! It is so important to teach children to express appreciation for their gifts. And these cards will be a delight to receive! :) Kristi

6 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 4, 2011 at 10:12 am

They make great gifts for grandparents:)

7 Laura@art4littlehands December 4, 2011 at 9:37 am

What a great way to do this. I always have a hard time getting my kids to make more than one card at a time. This is such a great way to do it. I like the border you put around each of the pictures too. Makes it look very nice. We will be using your poem and idea this season for sure. I also think it important to have children be thankful. I am just not good at making it happen in our home. Thanks for the reminder.

8 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 4, 2011 at 10:13 am

I have always been terrible about making or sending thank you cards. This idea would make me want to send them out for sure!

9 Alissa @Creative With Kids December 4, 2011 at 9:38 am

I love this way of making thank you cards! Thanks for taking part in the Creative Christmas Countdown!

10 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 4, 2011 at 10:13 am

Thank you Alissa!

11 amber December 4, 2011 at 9:53 am

Love these!!

12 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 4, 2011 at 10:14 am

13 Kristina December 4, 2011 at 11:45 am

Love this! My daughter had her 1st b-day yesterday and I think I’m going to have her try and fingerpaint today so we can make some of these for her friends who gave her presents. Thanks for sharing!

14 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 4, 2011 at 12:40 pm

That is a great idea – these would be great thank you cards for a birthday party. I also love that the children can do any kind of painting or art for this and it works great!

15 Aleacia@Dilly-Dali Art December 4, 2011 at 11:54 am

I really love this idea. Sometimes it’s hard to write a thank you card and actually sound sincere, especially when you’re writing a bunch of the same cards. This adds a nice personal touch for the recipient. I will have to try this! BTW, this would be a great way to make Christmas cards as well, I’d love for you to link them up to my Christmas card linky :)

16 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 4, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I will link up today Aleacia!

17 Jill @ a mom with a lesson plan December 4, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I love, love, love the idea of using a picture. Attaching the saying would also make thank you cards so much easier. AWESOME POST!

18 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 4, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I printed the sayings and the photos of the artwork on my cards:) I took the quick and easy way out on everything!!

19 The Iowa Farmer's Wife December 4, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I love these! This is such a great idea for thank you notes!!!

20 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 4, 2011 at 3:51 pm

21 Cerys @ Rainy Day Mum December 4, 2011 at 4:06 pm

What a great idea – I always have problems trying to think up ways for the Thank you Cards and usually end up sending a picture of J or T – but I love this idea and we have some many pieces of art work that we could use. Thank you for the inspiration

22 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 4, 2011 at 4:10 pm

You are welcome:)

23 Anna @ The Imagination Tree December 4, 2011 at 5:09 pm

A perfect way to keep it child centred! I love them!

24 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 4, 2011 at 6:53 pm

That is what I was shooting for Anna:)

25 Joyce @Dinosaurs And Octopuses December 5, 2011 at 2:56 am

That’s such a fabulous idea! I love every bit of it. I love the little message. And I love that the kids get to be proud of their artwork all over again. Great post!

26 Natalie December 5, 2011 at 7:32 am

These cards are beautiful and meaningful. I cannot wait to make some of our own!

27 Carrie December 6, 2011 at 7:23 am

What a fantastic idea! You can share her treasures with everyone! I know a lot of aunties and uncles who’d like to receive one of these. We’ll definitely be trying this. Thanks!

{ 3 trackbacks }