Christmas cards in the writing center in preschool

by Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. on December 11, 2011

in Christmas, Christmas Card Writing

My parents should feel quite loved by now because my students have been writing notes and bringing home Christmas cards just about everyday.  I purchased several boxes of Christmas cards from the Dollar store that contained 50 cards and 50 envelopes in each box.  For a dollar and all those cards and envelopes, I decided this was a good investment for the writing center…

Adding these cards to the writing center has raised lots of new interest in writing and drawing….

Just stuffing the envelopes is an interesting challenge for the children. I often find myself wanting to help them with this but I stay out of it – and when they get the card into the envelope they will often come and show me how they have put the card in the envelope and sealed it closed all by themselves!

By the third day of card writing and exploring, the children realized they could also cut out the pictures on the cards which added a new dimension to their card making and writing experience…

And they could glue the pictures on their cards or envelopes too!

Yes, I believe buying a box of Christmas cards for $1 to promote a little writing, cutting, drawing, coloring and the spirit of giving something to mom, dad, brother, sister, grandma, grandpa, and whoever else the children can think of was worth the investment….

-Teach Preschool on Instagram
-Deborah Stewart on Google+

1 Rebecca December 11, 2011 at 11:22 pm

How fun! I hope my daughter’s future preschool has a writing center. If I ask the preschool (it’s in an elementary school) and they say “no”, should I rethink enrolling her? It just seems more fun with a group of kids!

2 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 12, 2011 at 12:15 am

I would be surprised if your child’s future preschool doesn’t have a writing center. If they say “no”, then ask them to describe to you in what ways the do promote writing and see if it is similar to the idea of a writing center:)

3 Diana December 12, 2011 at 8:03 am

Question – do you ever have families that don’t celebrate Christmas? And, if so – how do you “deal” with it?

4 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 12, 2011 at 10:09 am

Yes – I have had families in previous classes that do not celebrate Christmas. This is not the case in my current classroom.

In past classroom experiences the parents have been made aware that we celebrate these holidays before signing their child up in the program so I didn’t feel like I had to avoid sharing these kinds of activities but in any case, I go to the parent and ask them for ideas that I can do with their child or what their preference is regarding their child’s participation. I find that many activities can be adapted to make them less holiday oriented and more winter focused or like in many of my posts – we focus on the five senses aspect of the holidays rather than on the holiday itself.

One thing that I find is that when we introduce activities, it gives opportunity for the children to tell me what they do or how they celebrate holidays at home. Taking the time to let the children share what they are doing during the holidays at home and then building on a few of their ideas from home can help too. Finally, I often make sure that I build in activities that have little to do with the holidays too so the children have a choice in what they spend their time doing. My blog tends to highlight the holiday activities right now.

We have been exploring cars and other transportation:) We have been building ramps just about every day.
We have been exploring winter and snow.
We have been exploring ballerinas (due to popular demand:)

By keeping a variety of holiday and non-holiday choices available for your children to explore, it gives children plenty to do that are holiday and non-holiday related.

I hope this helps:)

5 Nancy Brunner December 12, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Do the people at the Dollar Store know you by name…..LOL! Great idea!

6 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 12, 2011 at 11:16 pm

They should!!!! But I make the rounds – we have lots of Dollar Stores near by so I stop by them when I am out and about on a regular basis:)

7 Miss Eileen December 17, 2011 at 1:14 am

We’ve been using Christmas cards in our classroom too – I had a mom donate a bag of recycled card fronts – my younger students are just getting the hang of scissors and glue so they are gladly “cutting out” pictures and gluing them to make their own creations. Lots of learning going on : ) I love the idea of envelopes too – I’ll have to add some to the mix next week.

8 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 18, 2011 at 10:40 am

Old card make for some great pre-writing opportunities plus they add an environmental print component to your classroom!

{ 2 trackbacks }