Outdoor fall parachute play in preschool

by Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. on October 30, 2011

in Fall Parachute Play, Outdoor Play

We have been taking advantage of playing outdoors during these last few pretty fall days.  I recently read this wonderful idea shared by How Long is the Hall and knew my children would love to try this too…

The children helped Miss Abby spread out the parachute then ran around the play yard to gather leaves and put them on top of the parachute….

Once they had a good pile of leaves on the parachute, we gathered around the parachute to make them fly in the air.  I couldn’t remember the song that How Long is the Hall used in her post so we just said, “Pop, Pop, Popcorn!”  I know this makes no sense but the kids didn’t care!  When we said popcorn the kids would jump up and make all the leaves fly into the air…

One of our favorite things to do is to hide under the parachute after we toss the leaves into the air…

I thought I would mention that I bought this parachute from our local PartyCity store in the section where they sold circus party supplies.

I am sure going to miss these pretty fall days..

Early childhood is like fall…

A season filled with wonder, and beauty, and change that rushes by all too quickly.

~Deborah

Links to Grow On…

Parachute Play in Preschool by Teach Preschool

Parachute Play by Messy Kids

Parachute Games by NurtureStore

Quack, Quack, We’re Back parachute game by How Long is the Hall

Parachute Games by Rhyme Time

Linking up with Mama Pea Pod: Outdoor Play

-Deborah Stewart on Google+ or Teach Preschool G+ Page

1 Mama Pea Pod October 30, 2011 at 6:19 am

Oh what fun! We borrowed the school parachute for our daughter’s birthday this year and it was a huge hit! Would love if you would come link this up to our Outdoor Play Party!

2 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 30, 2011 at 10:12 am

I am linked up!

3 Jane @ Mama Pea Pod October 30, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Thanks so much!

4 Sara October 30, 2011 at 10:39 pm

hello Deborah I wish you were my mentor
I am taking the CD practicum (field experience) I need your help and knowledge.
Do you have any idea about cognative activities such as cooking activity
and also
Social/Emotional Activity
Please let me lnow
I apreciate
You are amezing
My best Sara

5 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 31, 2011 at 1:15 am

Hi Sara – I am certain I can help. Why don’t you send me an email – Just click on Contact above and drop me a note so we can talk some more.

6 Mrs. Myra October 30, 2011 at 8:36 am

I looked for my schools parachute 2 weeks ago. When I couldn’t find it we used a fabric shower curtain I brought from home. It was just as fun. We didn’t use music, we did fast, slow, up down, turn to the right, turn to the left. When the 2-year old class saw us outside, they told us they had the parachute! We were having too much fun by then. I did get the parachute from the 2′s days later and we had the experience all over again:) Thanks for sharing Deb, I love how beautiful the pictures turned out.

7 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 30, 2011 at 8:49 am

I have used an old sheet before! They can be made from anything that goes up and down:) Those sneaky 2′s taking your parachute!

8 Tina October 30, 2011 at 11:23 am

I love it! I am very fortunate to work in a school system who strongly promotes early childhood. Everything I have asked for I have received, including a beautiful new light table (thanks for the colored disc idea, I’m going to try it with the 3′s). We have a parachute that we keep just for indoor use at the gym becuase honestly I never thought to use it with leaves. I can’t wait! Oh, and I have a fall bulletin board display in my classroom. Would you mind if I use your quote? I promise to give you credit for it. I’ll even take a picture to show you. ;)

9 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 30, 2011 at 11:31 am

Of course you can use it Tina! I would love to see a photo of your board just because I bet it would be beautiful!! No go take the parachute outside and play too:)

10 Cathy @ NurtureStore October 30, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Great action photos – looks like they all had fun. I love your outdoor setting with those beautiful trees.

11 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 30, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Thank you Cathy – we have lots of trees and lots of leaves!

12 Ana Carol Thome October 30, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Hi!
Look at this: http://aprendendoeconstruindo.blogspot.com/2011/08/e-o-vento-levou.html
It’s like your activitie but I’m in Brazil!
Cool!
Ana Carol!

13 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 30, 2011 at 3:18 pm

How cool is that Ana!!

14 Amber October 30, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Ah…they love the parachute! Can also purchase a relatively good quality for the price parachute at Target. I found that our parachute is really too big for the who I have enrolled this year so we’ve gone back to using a blanket instead of the actual parachute. Perfect for toddlers! We also use fabric leaves when we wish to use the parachute indoors. Fun fun fun!

15 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 31, 2011 at 1:17 am

I didn’t know they have them at Target too! I like the smaller ones for toddlers anyway:)

16 Terri October 31, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Ooh… this looks like tons of fun! I may have to try this with a towel with my 2 girls, since I think a parachute would be too big for just the 3 of us! (or maybe have some of their friends over!!)

17 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. November 1, 2011 at 12:31 am

A towel or a sheet works very well too!

18 Kari November 3, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Hello Deborah.
I love this fun post, it also remind me of that I have a parachute in the basement. I need to get it for my outdoor playgroup.

I also hope you join us for : Every Day is a Play Day link up
We know that we have many outdoor play champions as passionate as we are in the blogsphere and think it is great that you as a blogger are sharing your passion about getting kids outside. To make it a little more exciting than a normal link up, you will get the opportunity to win a prize for the best outdoor play post. $200 gift certificate from Polarn O. Pyret.
Cheers Kari