We used a glue gun today to create in prek!

I know that my blogging buddy, Teacher Tom,¬†will be so proud of how I have stepped out of my comfort zone and introduced the use of a glue gun in prek…

I am not quite ready to share this with my three year old class yet but I have not counted it out either. Perhaps just a bit later on in the school year, we will consider it….

We talked about how to use the glue gun first. A little chat on how the end of the gun is hot, how the glue will be hot, and how to push the straws on top of the glue without touching the glue with our fingers…

I have to say that had we tried to make this straw mosaic with regular glue, that the children would have lost interest in just a few minutes. But with the glue gun, the interest never ends. We ran out of straws before we ran out of interest…

With the glue gun, the possibilities really open up for being creative. Instead of everything being flat on the cardboard, we were able to glue straws on top of straws without the worry of waiting for glue to dry or having the straws roll off…

We made big and little designs. The straw mosaics turned out beautifully and the glue gun adventure was a big hit!

Yes, we will be doing more this year with glue guns. This was a great idea Teacher Tom!

I am linking this post up with No Time for Flashcards: Link and Learn!

Comments

1. says

Love it! I hope one day to have my own daycare that I can do more stuff like this. Smaller classes would be more applicable for things like this.

2. says

I was mulling over the idea of letting my 4-yr-old use the glue gun after reading Teacher Tom’s post… now I’m thoroughly convinced! (I’m going to wait until my 2-yr-old is napping, though. There’s no way I’d let her use it yet!!)

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. says

It really was a fun experience – and much more relaxing and focused than I thought it would be…

3. Chelsea says

What an awesome idea…i dont think im brave enough to try this in my preschool class….just curious did anyone burn themselves on the glue?

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. says

Good question – we had some minor strings from the glue touch us but no real owies and the kids really caught on fast how to keep that from happening. You know, this was so intriuguing for them that they wanted to do this so they were very careful and concentrated for a long time.

4. says

My 3 year old would love it if I let her use my glue gun. She loves crafts and anything glue. :)

I just let her use adult scissors tonight for the first time. (We could not find her pair!) She did great.

Enjoy the holiday weekend!

Blessings,
    LaVonne @ Long Wait For Isabella

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. says

I love how you are introducing new tools for learning LaVonne – over time, your three year old will master these tools! Well done!

5. says

very cool!
    I was brave and let my 4 year old and 7 year old twins have a go at the glue guns to make wood scrap creations and the four year old was much more careful than the older girls!

He is looking over my shoulder now and saying ‘cool straws, can we do that!’

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. says

Haha – we enjoyed the straws – the bright colors made a wonderful piece of artwork! I sent these home to parents but I want to do them again and hang them in the classroom. They would have made my wall look so pretty!

6. says

Every morning, I get your latest post in my RSS and I tell myself I’ll read it there – not open the link. Many times this little talk with myself works but I am a bit of a visual learner myself so often, I simply must open one up and see shat it looks like in color. I had to see for myself – kids using a glue gun! I think I may have to find a few low temp glue guns for collages. Think of the endless array of options! Thanks for sharing Teacher Tom’s cool idea!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. says

Gail – you can’t see it in color??? Oh my – I love the color! Are you using Google Reader for your RSS feeds? This might help with that.

7. says

Your 4 year olds are doing better than me. Every time I use a glue gun a get big blistering burns all over my fingers! My 12 year old, however, has been using them for years with no problem. Maybe kids are just smarter than me!
    Looks like fun.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. says

Haha – I do too Kristin! This is why I chose something bulky (straws) to work with – I wanted to put lots of space between those fingertips and the glue for the children to work with.

8. Roz Karp says

I have used a cold glue gun with success with 4 to 6 year olds. It surely cuts down on the burn possibility and worked very well. Has anyone else had success with the cold glue gun?

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. says

I haven’t tried a cold glue gun – but plan to invest in one soon and see how well that works too!

9. says

Very brave, Deborah~~~and your bravery paid off! (I haven’t summoned the courage yet myself. For now, I’ll live vicariously through yours and Tom’s glue gun fun! :)

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. says

I think that is a good play Ayn – every teacher needs to use their best judgement when considering an idea like this. It worked well for my small class but I wouldn’t just throw it out there for a big group unless I had a good plan in place!

10. Malin says

Let the 3 year olds try! We have been working with glue guns at my preschool for years and with proper introduction we’ve had 2 year olds doing it with some help from the 3-5 year olds…

11. says

I am going to try this with my 4-yr old while the 2-yr old naps. I never thought about trying glue guns, but I think he will understand where to touch and where to avoid. Good idea!

12. says

Well!!! There ya go!!! From inspiration to creation in a heart-beat and a half! The process as documented is surely sufficient for the skeptics in our midst. Congrats for your willingness to attempt something new.

LOVE the look of the straws!!!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. says

I love the look of the straws too! Thanks Debbie – it was actually quite fun:)