We made apple trees in preschool

by Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. on September 6, 2011

in Apple Trees, Creative Art

At least once a week, I try to throw in some art activities that we can use to decorate our classroom. We will be having a fall festival pretty soon so I want to have some children’s artwork that celebrate fall up for the occasion…

This week, we made apple trees. We started by ripping paper bags for our tree trunks and gluing them on the paper…

Then we added our tree tops.  I would have had the children tear their tree tops too, but today, the focus was on using glue bottles more than anything else in this process so I just gave them some quick tree tops cut out from green construction paper.  The children used glue bottles to add glue. We talked about adding long lines of glue or little dots of glue rather than big puddles of glue…

Once the children added the glue, we talked about turning the paper over and rubbing their paper on the back so the glue sticks really well…

Once we had our treetops and trunks all glued down, we painted on apples with a large pom-pom dipped in red paint that I had saved from the other day

Some of apple trees landed up-side down on our paper and some of the tree trunks were glued on with the grocery bag lettering on the outside – don’t you just love it!

More links to grow on…

Making apple pies in preschool

Lacing up apples in preschool

Way up High in the Apple Tree flannel Board and Fingerplay

Available on Amazon

Looking for more apple ideas: Check out my apple board on Pinterest!

-Deborah Stewart on Google+ or Teach Preschool G+ Page

1 Pam September 6, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Oh- we would have had puddles of glue :) …no doubt about it! That looks like fun- we may have to try…even though it may take several weeks for our glue puddles to dry!

2 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 6, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Haha! Have fun making puddles!

3 Jennifer S. September 6, 2011 at 8:52 pm

When my son was in kindergarten his teacher taught them “dot, dot, not a lot” when using the glue bottles. Now I have taught my preschoolers that saying. After having a whole new group of kids start today I think we will be reinforcing the saying. BIG puddles of glue were found on quite a few projects today.

4 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 6, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Love the dot, dot, not alot!

5 Leslie Viente September 6, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Love the art project – how would you have had the children tear the tree tops? I’m thinking of doing this with my 4/5 year olds and wonder would you show them a model or have them tear free hand. I also might want to work on scissor skills and trace a pattern for them to cut. I’m always interested in how others “do” their projects.

6 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 6, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Hi Leslie – when I want to give them the idea, I sit down with them first and show them how to tear the paper – in this case. I would have torn a piece of green construction paper into smaller pieces and layered it to make the tree top. Not worried about trying to tear a circle or a treetop “Shape” as trees have lots of shape and layers..

7 Little Wonders' Days September 6, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I love the idea of using a pom pom to make the apple. We enjoyed a lot of apple activities last fall and are looking forward to doing more this year. My kids either use puddles of glue or barely enough to hold anything together!

8 Jackie September 6, 2011 at 9:38 pm

We’ve been doing apple activities too! I love the language you used with the kids about glue, lots of little lines instead of a big puddle. We either end up with a big puddle or not enough glue to make it stick. I’ve never been able to help my son find the happy medium. I’ll try that!

9 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 6, 2011 at 10:20 pm

They really responded well to this as well – even I was surprised!

10 Joan September 7, 2011 at 8:05 am

Hi Deborah,
Love the apple trees and the fact that you didn’t try to “fix” it when they glued down the bag (trunk) on the “wrong” side! For the first day of school, I always practice the ” dot, dot, not a lot” concept with the children. I made up a “worksheet” that has the words at the top, with a simple glue bottle that I drew in the middle. Then I drew little dots all over the page. The kids enjoy covering all the dots with glue. After the sheets dry (it takes a while) the parents can see the concept that I am trying to teach!

11 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 7, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I love the “dot-dot-not” a lot idea! What great ideas for teaching glue flow control. We have glue bottles and brushes too but I am finding that the children are doing very well at handling the bottles so I want to stick with it. One less thing to have to clean out:)

12 Linda September 8, 2011 at 2:15 am

I liked how you taught the kids how to use glue. I made a mistake before on not instructing them, and they had so much fun wasting the glue. I observed my kids really love drawing trees and making apple trees will be a fun activity for them.

13 La-La's Home Daycare September 8, 2011 at 2:06 pm

How fun! We always have puddles of glue, I wear an apron! haha!

14 Kristin@Sense of Wonder September 9, 2011 at 7:43 am

So many wonderful apple ideas! We just read the cutest book called The Apple Pie that Papa Baked. It is sort of like the House that Jack Built. If you can find it I would very much recommend it. I love the idea of painting with pom poms. I always like to give my children different things to paint with.

15 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 9, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I have to look for that book Kristin!!

16 Rachel September 9, 2011 at 11:33 am

Oh my goodness, these are sooooo cute! I absolutely adore how you used a paper bag for the trunk and the pom-poms for painting! I’m thinking I REALLY want to give this a try. I’ve loved all your apple ideas!

17 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 9, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Thank you Rachel – apples are so fun!

{ 1 trackback }