Teaching twins in the preschool classroom

by Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. on August 8, 2011

in Bam Radio Series on Early Childhood Education, Teaching Twins

If you have ever had a set of twins in your preschool classroom, you may have had to sort through some of the myths addressed by the experts in the most recent Bam Radio show I participated in: “Avoiding Mistakes in Teaching Twins.”

"Avoiding Mistakes in Teaching Twins" Rae Pica with Eve-Marie Arce, Susan M. Heim and Deborah J. Stewart

“Some educators have reported an increase in the number of twins in their classrooms. According to our guests,  there are a few myths and some misguided ideas about teaching twins that need to be corrected. In this segment we discuss what every educator and parent needs to know about teaching twins” (Bam Radio Show)

Here are some of the highlights shared by our experts that you should think about if you happen to have a set of twins in your preschool classroom…

1. There is no evidence or research that says separating twins in preschool makes a difference in their learning achievement.

2. Twins may come as a pair but teachers need to treat twins as individuals and not as a set when teaching the children.

3. Parents of twins should be consulted with and have a say in whether their twins should stay together or be separated.

4. Teachers should avoid labeling the twins in order to tell them apart – “That one is the athletic one.”

5. Parents are the best resource for helping teachers understand the emotional needs of their twins.

6. Don’t assume that just because the twins look alike, that they will like doing the same things. Have a variety of choices available in your classroom and let the children select from those choices based on their own unique interests and personalities.

What are your thoughts or experiences with twins in the preschool classroom? If you are a parent of twins or if you have experience teaching twins, I would love to hear your perspective on this topic…

-Teach Preschool on Instagram
-Deborah Stewart on Google+

1 Heather Cook August 8, 2011 at 1:31 am

I am a homeschool mom of identical twins, the best advice is to treat them as individual people. Though my boys look alike, their personalities could not be any more different. If one likes one thing you can bet on the other liking the opposite. :) One is right handed and one is left. They learn very differently! So keeping them as individuals and not grouping them as a pair will go a long way in helping them be a success in their schooling.

2 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 8, 2011 at 8:13 am

It is so nice to hear a mom’s perspective. You remind me that even developmentally, twins have their differences as well!

3 Kristah August 8, 2011 at 5:23 am

I’ve had a set of twins and a set of triplets in my class before. It was really upsetting when I heard the school wanted to split them up in kindergarten.

4 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 8, 2011 at 8:14 am

This is why it is important to include the parents in on the discussion as to whether it is best to keep the children together or split them apart.

5 Rebecca August 8, 2011 at 5:54 am

I had identical twins in my Reception class (4-5yr) last year. We kept them together on the wishes of the parents. There is a lot of evidence now available that emphasises the importance of not separating twins at such a young age.

I believe keeping the twins together was definitely of benefit. They had comfort in the fact that their brother was nearby, which gave them the confidence to do many things independently of each other.

We know give all parents of twins the option to keep them together or separate.

Interesting article, thank you.

6 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 8, 2011 at 8:14 am

I am glad to hear you give parents the option!

7 Matt August 8, 2011 at 6:01 am

This year I will have my first set of twins kept together on purpose by the parents. Should be interesting. :)

8 Stacy August 8, 2011 at 7:24 am

As a parent of five year old fraternal twins, the question I hate the most is, “which one is the bad one?”(I get asked that in public, not at their schools) My boys are VERY different, but they both have unique strengths. They were placed together in Pre-k, but I have chosen to put them in different Kindergarten classes because one of my boys has a stronger personality and tends to “talk over” his brother. The schools have always let it be my choice and their teachers have always treated them as individuals. I get two newsletters, two snack requests, because they each have a take-home folder, etc.

9 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 8, 2011 at 8:19 am

Interesting that you would ever not get two snack requests or two newsletters or that they wouldn’t each have their own take home folder! This is definitely something simple that teachers can make sure they are doing to individualize the children whether they are in the same class or not. Great comment here to give us more to think about.

10 LaVonda Saunders August 8, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Some parents just want one. LOL Newsletter and folder. what do you say to the parents????

11 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 8, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I would definitely listen to the parent and at the same time, see if it matters to the children. The key is being sensitive to both. If one of the children is concerned about not getting a newsletter but sister or brother did, then I would explain to the parent that they don’t have to read two but you sure don’t want the child to feel like they can’t bring one home.

12 Savannah August 8, 2011 at 7:41 am

I’ve never taught twins, but I am a twin myself. My dad always kept us in separate classrooms when we were in school for as long as possible (we did have a few high school classes together) to make sure that the teachers never compared us, even inadvertently. I never really wished we were in the same class, but maybe that’s because we’re boy/girl twins and not as close as other twins might be if they’re the same gender?

13 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 8, 2011 at 8:21 am

It is possible that twins of the same gender get compared more than twins of different gender but I wonder if your father was seeing some comparing going on even before school started that helped him decided it would be best to put you in different classrooms?

14 Savannah August 10, 2011 at 7:10 am

That could be. I remember even in kindergarten we were in different classes. It was probably for the better. I was much more academic than my brother and did better in school, whereas he had different interests and strengths.

15 Carrie August 8, 2011 at 8:02 am

I am a parent of identical twin boys starting preK in 2 weeks. They have been in daycare “school” separate classrooms for about a year, but this year they will be together. I was pro-together all along, but t he school they currently go to “highly suggested” almost forced me to separate them. I’m excited and anxious to see how they do together. They may be identical down to the height and weight (even at 3 yrs old), but they are VERY different. They have their own interests, strengths, weaknesses, etc just like one child to the next. I do know that their, soon to be teacher, does have experience w twins in her class. But we’ll see how it goes. Thank you for addressing this. I’ve gotten so many responses from teachers, directors, etc that they “know or have evidence” that twins should be separated and i’m not sure i agree.. will keep you posted on our progress :-)

16 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 8, 2011 at 8:23 am

Hi Carrie,
I would love to be updated on your observations and the kids progress!

17 Heather August 8, 2011 at 9:43 am

My b/g twins are now 11 . We kept them together in preschool and kindergarten. It worked for my twins, but I think like everything it should be looked at case by case. I also have taught several sets of twins and make sure that we talk about what twins are in the class as most kids are curious about twins. I do send mail home with both, sing happy birthday to each individually and encourage parents to look at each child’s strengths at conferences. I have found parents that I have had label their twins and I always discourage this.

18 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 8, 2011 at 9:45 pm

You bring up another good point – singing Happy Birthday to both children rather than just one happy birthday! I hadn’t thought of that but it sure does make sense if you are individualizing!!

19 Denise August 8, 2011 at 9:50 am

I am a mother of identical twin boys (now 14 years old). They were together in pre-k, public school told me to separate them in Kindergarden, 1st grade, 2nd grade. They struggled with that. I was just going with what the school recommended. Found out that a parent has every right to say where she wants her twins. So I insisted they be together in 3rd grade. They excelled even with the worst teacher that year. The next year they were offering team teaching, so one twin went in one class and the other in a second class. But the teachers swapped subjects so the boys would see each other every day. There were 8 sets of twins the 4th and 5th grade, only one set was not identical!! My point…Parents have a voice and should use it if you think it is best to keep them together. Teachers should make every effort to figure out who is who, and try to get it right most of the time. (even I mess up my own children ) =0) Parents can help by giving info about their unique personalities.

20 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 8, 2011 at 9:48 pm

You offer such great insight Denise. Clearly, parents of twins really need a voice when it comes to making decisions regarding what is best for their children.

21 Miss Kelly August 8, 2011 at 10:06 am

I have taught many multiples over the years. Last year alone I had two sets of twins and one set of triplets. I think parents should ALWAYS be consulted when it comes to what is best placement for their children. I love having multiples in my classroom and see NO reason why one would automatically assume they should be split up. However, like Stacy points out, there may be a cause to split the children up, but this would only come from a parent’s knowledge of their child. That is precisely why the children’s placement should involve the parent’s and not be based on some arbitrary rule. IMHO :)

22 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 8, 2011 at 9:49 pm

And I agree with your opinion Miss Kelly:)

23 Melanie August 8, 2011 at 10:18 am

I will have my first set of twins this year! They are identical and have been in our preschool for the past 2 years. Mom used to dress them in different colors so we could tell which was which. Now that they’re older (just turned 4) they choose thier own clothes so the clothing is no longer a good way to tell. I’m thinking that after having them in class for a couple weeks I’ll be able to tell the difference but I’m open to suggestions on ways to be able to tell until I get to that point?

24 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 8, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I would definitely ask mom or dad for how to help you tell the difference. No one will know better than the parents:)

25 Debi August 8, 2011 at 10:26 am

I have B/G/G fraternal triplets that look nothing alike (one blue-eyed, light straight hair, while the other girl is brown-eyed with dark, curly hair, the third is a boy). We start pre-k3 in 2w and they’ll be together. By law here it is the parents’ choice (in our case, there is only one class, so not an issue of separating yet). I do label them…by their names. I’m so happy their teacher has twins of her own, so I know she understands many of the issues related to them being multiples. I’m interested to see how their personalities differ away from home.

26 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 8, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Haha – what an innovative idea – labeling by name!! Best wishes to each of the children as they start school this year.

27 Little Wonders' Days August 8, 2011 at 10:47 am

My twins were in the same class last year and it was so cute to see them come home and sing the same songs or “get” some inside joke between them because of something they did at school. I don’t think it hurt their development in anyway by keeping them together.

28 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 8, 2011 at 9:52 pm

And I think you would definitely know if it had:)

29 Carrie August 8, 2011 at 11:30 am

We often see twins come through the classrooms. In some areas, it’s not uncommon to have several sets of twins. I believe our staff does many of the things you note here as well. I think the same holds true for very close siblings. We often will have siblings that are 2 or less years apart. The only times we advocate for twins or siblings to be split is if they tend both have behavior issues and it would alleviate some stress on the classroom. This is always the parent’s choice though and we don’t dictate that twins need to be in separate classes

30 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 8, 2011 at 9:53 pm

There was quite a bit of discussion on how siblings who are close in age can have very similar issues of twins but in the end, there still seemed to be a very distinct difference in how folks tend to label twins verses siblings.

31 Carrie August 8, 2011 at 10:43 pm

There is usually just enough difference at least with a little age difference to make that distinction for sure. I have seen siblings treated somewhat like a matched set though similar to what happens with twins. it is easy with twins since you have so many similarities. Definitely important for teachers to remember they are individual people.

32 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 8, 2011 at 11:35 pm

I need a “Like” button Carrie:) I Like!

33 Julie August 8, 2011 at 11:41 am

I am a parent of identical twin boys. Each “grade” has been a new experience for me and I have definitely learned some things along the way. Parents of twins get DAILY

34 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 8, 2011 at 9:54 pm

That is what parenting is all about – twins or not – we all learn something new each year.

35 Julie August 8, 2011 at 11:48 am

DAILY advice from EVERYONE (even fellow shoppers at the grocery store) on how to raise twins! It’s crazy! I think each set is very different and the parent should be consulted on the best way to help them be successful in the classroom. My boy’s preschool teacher tried to separate mine to different tables during learning time, but one of them cried and cried and wouldn’t participate. At that age, they needed to be together. At Kinder, the school really advised me to separate them. I did, against my wishes, but it turned out that they thrived! I put them in the same class for first, and they hated it! They were too competitive with eachother. I’ve learned (now that they are in the 6th grade) to keep them in separate classes, but with the same team of teachers. This way, they have the same homework (learned that lesson as well), but they get don’t compete with eachother in the same class at the same time. I’ve never had a problem with their teachers not treating them as individuals! While they look the same, anyone who gets to know them realizes they are two unique individuals!

36 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 8, 2011 at 9:57 pm

You sound just a little frustrated Julie:) Okay – perhaps a lot frustrated. You are correct in saying that everyone comes with an opinion and that is why we just need to keep having discussions such as this – it has already helped me learn much!

37 Nikkol August 8, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I had a set of B/G twins in my class for summer school. I did notice that the boy depended on his sister for reinforcement and interaction and she was overpowering but nurturing. The parents ended up splitting them for Fall. I had the girl in my class and the neighboring teacher the boy. I believe in this situation having them split was very essential for the boys development of self and independence. In my class I helped her turn her overpowering behavior into positive leadership qualities. They both had extremely empowering experiences being separated.

38 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 8, 2011 at 9:58 pm

But it does sound like the parents were on board with the decision to separate the twins. And it just as in this case, each child comes with his or her own unique personality.

39 Nikkol August 8, 2011 at 12:08 pm

And I forgot to mention but now I have B/G twins and I see my girl as the very extreme personality and my son as easy going but he is very independent as well. So we will see what develops over the next 3 years before I send them to Kinder. I just hope their teachers are as understanding and aware as I was as a teacher.

40 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 8, 2011 at 9:59 pm

So do I Nikkol!!

41 LaVonda Saunders August 8, 2011 at 5:22 pm

I’ve had triplets in my preK class they are very different. 2 girls and one boy. In the beginning the boy was like to overprotective of his sisters. SO CUTE but the girls have started to show more independence and more self esteem. They have very different learning styles also that help to complement each others weakness. For example the boy is a visual learning and the girl both learning best through audio and kinetics. Being in the same class they help each other. Maybe next year in Kindergarten the parents want them to be separated what do you educators thing?????

42 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 8, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I think that you need to really sit down and listen to what the parents feel is best and why. Perhaps their perspective will help bring greater understanding as to the choices they are making. You can also share your concerns but be a very good listener as well.

43 pammypam August 8, 2011 at 9:10 pm

ok so i was talking to my twin boy student’s OT today and mentioned this discussion to her. she and i had previously discussed the idea of separating the boys; the OT liked the idea and was going to present the idea to the mother. The mother was open to the idea but didn’t want to do it quite yet. I can see both sides of the argument: the boys are 2 1/2 so there is plenty of time.

So coming back here tonight and re-reading all the posts it seems like each situation is different and what works for one set may not work for another.
thanks for the great discussion!

44 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 8, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I am glad you are taking the time to do a little research as well. Will you be asking the mother for her viewpoint as well?

45 Michelle August 8, 2011 at 9:51 pm

As a teacher and twin myself, I couldn’t agree more with this article. The most hateful thing about my childhood was me dressed up exactly the same as my sister all the time. (I think my mom enjoyed all the awwe’s) I am a different individual with a different personality, but the external factors (Mom, People around me asking whether we do the same thing, switch the class, or do telepathy, etc.) kept making us look the same, which I hated.
I definitely agree with the part whee they are separate individuals and respect their own individuality. It’s a great article, I’ve never read any research on this topic.

46 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 8, 2011 at 10:05 pm

How interesting that you had such strong feelings about dressing the same as your sister. I think as a society, we tend to want to “awe” at twins. I unfortunately am guilty of this myself. I will have to be more sensitive of this in the future!

47 Gloria August 8, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Last year I had one twin in my class while my team teacher had the other. They had been going to our preschool since they were two and had been separated for their pre-k year and were again separated for their transitional, or early, kindergarten year. They thrived being in separate classes :) What was nice for the parents though is that they were being taught the same skills and were involved in the same activities since my team teacher and I follow the same plans so all the information was the same (and yes, they got two of everything, because they are individuals). As we began placing them for kindergarten we discussed with their parents whether they wanted them in the same class. Their mom came and shared with us that the twins wanted to be in separate classes since they already lived together and didn’t want to be in the same class too! After much thought, the twins will be in different classes come September-but I think it was a good choice. They have been in separate classes before and are able to work independently and cope with being apart.

Thanks for this great discussion! I think each decision needs to be made in the best interest of the children :)

48 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 8, 2011 at 11:36 pm

I love all the thoughtful attention you all gave to this and how you listened to the parent concerns and wishtes. It sounds like a well thought out decision by everyone involved!!

49 Shelli August 8, 2011 at 11:47 pm

I had the very unusual and unique experience of having two sets of twins and two sets of triplets in my preschool at one time. All of the parents of these children had differing opinions about keeping their children together. For the first year they all stayed together in my classroom but for their second year of preschool the parents of one set of the twins and the parents of one set of the triplets asked to have their children separated. For both of those families it was a wise choice as their children became more able to work, play, grow as individuals without a sibling present. In the case of the twins, one of them was a mother hen and very controlling of her brother who was very dependent on her. In the case of the triplets, they fed off of each other’s negative behaviors which really got in the way of their learning at any level. For the other two families who chose to keep their twins and triplets together it was again a wise choice as those five children all had a successful year as well. It just goes to show how important it is to make a well thought out decision with the best interests of the children at heart.

50 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 8, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Wow – these are terrific examples of how each set of twins have their own specific needs. Thank you for sharing your well thought out process for making great decisions Shelli!

51 Sarah August 9, 2011 at 9:24 am

I had a set of b/g twins in Pre-K,. The girl had severe CP and was profoundly impaired. Them other was grateful that my Pre-K class was fully integrated because she knew this was the only year they would get the chance to be in class together. In kindergarten and beyond the girl has went to a special school. It was a joy to see how her brother interacted with her. :)

52 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 9, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Ahhh, that is so sweet Sarah!

53 lisa August 9, 2011 at 6:27 pm

I had identical Hispanic twins in my class two years ago. Interestingly enough they couldn’t tell themselves apart in photos. I could tell them apart MOST of the time by their actions but not always. They often dressed alike but one wore white shoes and one wore black shoes. Last year when I didn’t see them daily I often had trouble telling them apart. I called on of them the wrong name and he pointed to his shoes and said no, BLACK shoes! lol

54 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 9, 2011 at 11:34 pm

LOL – be sure to notice those shoes!!

55 Cindy August 10, 2011 at 1:25 am

As an identical twin with fraternal twin brothers (as well as an ECE teacher) one thing I’ve noticed is that when twins are introduced as twins, people automatically look for similarities and have difficulty keeping the names straight, even if they don’t look much alike. We spent time together and, more often, in separate classes and to us it really didn’t matter a whole lot after the first few days. One thing that my mother did that helped with the dressing alike issue was that we would dress in similar outfits but in different colors because she couldn’t stand the idea that one would be seen as cuter than the other. Once we were old enough to choose our own clothes, we were allowed to do so. As with most things in the education world, individuality is what should guide the decisions about whether to keep together or separate multiples.

56 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 10, 2011 at 1:30 am

I’m thinking that your mom was a wise woman:)

57 Stacy August 10, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I believe that in some states, it has become a law that parents are given a choice about separating twins.

58 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 10, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Yes, this is true!

59 bre August 12, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I was just discussing this with my classroom aide. This year, we will have 2 sets of twins and 3 sets of siblings in our classroom. 1 pair of twins and 2 sets of siblings in 1 class, and 1 pair of twins and 1 set of siblings in the other class. Last year I had two sets of siblings in 1 class. I made sure to always include two of everything, since I dont want to leave a kid out. It will be very interesting this year with all of my multiples/siblings. In my classroom, I like to do alot of family take home projects. I feel that it is important for the families to be involved as much as possible. With my siblings pairs, I would get two projects. Sometimes, the older child’s project would be better than the younger child’s project. I would always feel so bad. I had a parent tell me they didnt want the younger child doing the same thing as their older child because it wasnt fair to them….I just felt it was odd. They excluded the younger child out of open house events and things like that since he “Wasnt ready” and it was the older child’s last year. It will be very interesting this year to see how this child does since his sibling is in k now.

My sisters were twins and they did everything together. The school we went to would not let my parents put them in the same class, which was acually great for them. They learned how to be independent and to be their own person.

60 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 13, 2011 at 8:27 am

Sounds like you will have your hands full!!

61 renelik August 16, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I have a pair of twin boys. My fraternal twins looked alike. I feel that everybody look different and all it takes is a bit of observation and effort to tell them apart. However, it’s too much of an effort for many and they are called “twins” and not by their name. I had to speak to the teachers to stop calling them twins during the first term. If teachers regard them as an individual and stop associating them as one entity, there’ll be less confusion. My boys’ teacher are often very confused when telling me about them. I don’t blame them but I feel that a lot of confusion can be minimized if we treat twins as individual and stop comparing them. It will be good to be more sensitive to their feelings when speaking to parents with the children present. Instead of “Twin 1 is more active than Twin 2″, teachers can say “Twin 1 is very active”.

62 Karen @ PreKinders August 28, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I’ve taught several sets of twins, and it was always a positive experience. I don’t understand why many teachers are adamant about separating them. I think it should be the parents’ choice, especially in the early childhood years. When I’ve had a twin who was separated from their sibling, they tended to worry about their sibling, and wanted to check on them often.

63 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 28, 2011 at 5:33 pm

That is a good point Karen – it can cause some unnecessary stress. Perhaps teachers prefer separation because it is easier for the teacher? I am not sure but agree – it needs to be a parent’s choice.

64 Nanci September 16, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I smiled as I read so many of these posts. I am a mother of identical twin boys, and as an added pleasure, I was their Kindergarten teacher. (very small town, I was the only K teacher) In the following years, sometimes they were in same class, sometimes not. They had many of the same friends and interests. Both have doctorates in Physical Therapy. Every child is different, and having taught MANY twins and triplets; let the parents help in the decision of their child’s placement.

65 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 17, 2011 at 12:47 am

Speaking from experience Nanci!! Thank you for sharing your experiences here:)

66 Holly September 17, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Oh, I had missed this post in the past and I’m so glad it caught my eye in your sidebar today!! I have taught twins, and of course, I’m also a mother of twins. First and foremost, THANK YOU, for posting this – especially points #1 & #3! I have fought for (and won, thankfully) families with twins on that issue. It always makes me cringe when I hear school personnel say that their “general policy” is to separate multiples.

The only other point I’d bring up is that I’ve often noticed that the twin relationship tends to be discounted almost entirely when the twins are of opposite genders. This is very offensive to families. All sets of multiples have a unique and special relationship with one another regardless of gender and educational staff need to understand and respect this.

67 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 17, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Great point to add Holly. I actually have a set of twins in my class this year and one is a boy and the other a girl! I will try to keep in mind your advice:) Thanks so much!

68 Leanne October 23, 2011 at 10:51 am

I have had two sets of twins in my 4k class ( as well as triplet, but his siblings were at other schools).

Having fraternal twins in my classroom worked out well last school year, with only the occasional difficulty when it was one of the siblings turn to be student of the week and the other had to wait for their week. It was a good life lesson though… not everything will be the same for both of them all the time!

I have identical twins this year who are VERY identical… and wear the same clothing nearly every day. They function very well working together and separately… but I admit, I have a hard time telling them apart. I try my hardest to call them by the correct name, but when in doubt, I’ll ask! They don’t mind telling me :-).

As for the one triplet I had… his mother said separating them into different classes was the best thing she could have done, because they got along a lot better during home time after having some time alone.

69 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 23, 2011 at 11:12 am

How interesting that the parent made that observation about the triplets have some time alone! I have twins now in my class – they are a boy and a girl. I am enjoying learning about them this school year.

70 Tracy Katz January 14, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I have had 2 sets of twins in my class, one set was identical and this year I have a boy and girl, with this situation I let them stay together if they choose to till the comfort level is there, once this is achieved I seperate for snack, centers, etc. During our circle time the children are allowed to choose their spots and 10 times outta 10 they sit together which is fine with me. I always want them to have a positive experience but a seperate experience, I believe this is important for them to grow as indiviuals. I get to know them seperately like all the other children, I believe I have to have a connection and bond with each child. I love getting to know all of our children.

71 Rebecca January 31, 2012 at 10:43 am

I am a parent of twin identical boys and they attended the school district special ed preschool program so that they could get help with speech therapy and general delays associated with being twins. it was a bit concerning when they started off with different speech pathologists and shortly combined them to one. Then on the last day of school they sent home the photo they took of the children to hang in there locker so the children could identify them was labeled wrong. It was the right name but the wrong twin in the pictures. So they confused the two. So every day the children had to go to a locker that was his name but his brothers’ picture??? Weird. Twins may Look alike but they definitely can tell the difference between themselves even in pictures. I feel they were definitely treated as one child. After that, I got creative with their haircuts so people could tell them apart more.

72 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. January 31, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Wow – that is really kind of a sad story! I would hate knowing that I had a set of twins mixed up all year long. I am glad you are taking the initiative to help with this – if nothing else, for your children!! Wow – what a weird thing for sure!