Easy recipe for slime brought to you by our preschoolers

by Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. on August 30, 2011

in Creative Art, DIY, Recipe for Slime, Slime/Gak

As promised on my facebook page, I am sharing my secret recipe for making slime or gak or whatever you want to call it. There may be a difference in those terms but I don’t know what it is….

My recipe isn’t really my secret alone – it is a recipe I have used for years so it is tried and tested by preschoolers all over…

The recipe is simple…

One Part Elmers Glue

One Part Liquid Starch

A few drops of food color of your choice to add some color!

(For each pile of slime you see in these photos we used 1/2 cup of glue and 1/2 cup of liquid starch)

Tips for making it great…

1. Begin by pouring your liquid starch in a bowl….

2. Now add your glue…

3. Next add a few drops of food color (or whatever you choose to make color with) we used food color gel…

4. Now stir it up until it starts to get all blended together.  The glue will tend to clump and separate and it will look runny and feel runny. This is okay – just keep stirring. We used a plastic spoon and stirred for about 1 or 2 minutes…

5. Once it is pretty good and mixed up, stick in your hands and knead the glue into the starch some more. Yes, this will feel slimy and sticky right now – but it gets better.  Have a bucket of water handy with a towel to rinse hands and dry them….

6. Take out the slime and now knead it on a dry plastic tray or table top.

Notes to remember:

• If it is too sticky, dip it back into the remaining liquid starch and then knead on your tray some more.
    • If it is not sticky any more but just too gooey (or wet) – then rinse it off with a little water and knead the slime on the tray for again.
    • After a little air time, the slime will get nice and pliable and less gooey.
    • It needs about 5 minutes of air time and play time for the gooey (or wetness) to go away.

The slime will rub off of most plastic toys but I don’t recommend playing with it on carpet :)

As you can see from the photos I have shared, there are lots of ways to play with slime!

Our favorite ways include using our hands to squish and stretch and using scissors to cut the slime…

Oh – and did you notice that some of my fabulous trays are actually lids from a plastic container? I forgot to bring extra trays so I improvised – they worked out great…

I linked this post up with: Getty Messy with Ms. Jessi!

Getting Messy With Ms Jessi
Available on Amazon….

-Deborah Stewart on Google+ or Teach Preschool G+ Page

1 Rachelle | TinkerLab August 30, 2011 at 11:55 pm

Awesome, simple recipe, Deborah! I haven’t been able to find liquid starch in our stores, but I hear it can be found at Walmart.

2 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 30, 2011 at 11:59 pm

I hope you can find it – look in the laundry section:) I know you will love it!

3 Maribel August 31, 2011 at 12:00 am

Me encanta. (I love it)

4 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 31, 2011 at 12:06 am

5 Tina August 31, 2011 at 12:08 am

What is liquid starch? My recipe involves borax and it works perfectly.

6 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 31, 2011 at 1:21 am
7 Laura@art4littlehands August 31, 2011 at 12:09 am

I bought the liquid starch to do this months ago and still haven’t done it. I better get on it. This looks like too much fun!

8 Rhoda August 31, 2011 at 12:27 am

Thanks for the recipe. I have only seen wit with Borax, but I have also heard that is something you shouldn’t really let children handle. Do you have a name brand of the starch so I know what to look for? Thanks again.

9 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 31, 2011 at 1:21 am
10 Robyn August 31, 2011 at 3:21 am

Thanks for the recipe. We will definitely be trying it out this week. I love that you used plastic container lids for your trays. Such a great idea, yet so simple, you ask yourself “Why didn’t I think of that before?”

11 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 31, 2011 at 3:28 am

Haha – I am always asking myself that question!

12 Marian Bray August 31, 2011 at 6:02 am

In Australia we dont have Elmers glue, so I wondered is it a runny glue I think its like our PVA glue, can you possibly describe the consistency of the glue so I can compare. Many Thanks great idea.

13 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 31, 2011 at 7:41 am

Elmers glue is white and runny and sticky:) I would imagine the two are similar.

14 Frank Walaitis August 31, 2011 at 7:21 am

Over the years I have found that placing the glue and starch in a wide mouth gallon jug works best when mixing. (I use a one gallon Gatorade bottle) Once the children pour the glue and starch and food color inside you cap it tight and…”SHAKE YOUR SILLIES OUT!!!!!” until they have combined. The best fun is getting it out. Take the cap off, turn the bottle upside down and let it SLOWLY drip out, or squeeze the bottle and watch it ooze out!

15 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 31, 2011 at 7:41 am

What a fun idea! I never thought of trying to do it that way!

16 Amber August 31, 2011 at 8:24 am

Tried and true recipe…our kiddos love gak! One year around pumpkin time we did orange and provided plastic jack o lantern stencil. They really got a kick out of that. If they set it on gentle it would leave the mark on their gak. If they pushed it hard it would “pop” through the stencils…which of course they all liked to do.

17 Lisa Claxton August 31, 2011 at 8:29 am

Hi Deb, what woudl the equivalent of Elmers glue be here in Australia??? Never heard of it before? Thanks! Lisa :-)

18 Deanna January 7, 2012 at 8:29 pm

It’s just a brand of white glue.

19 Sheryll August 31, 2011 at 8:35 am

Great recipe! I will definitely be trying this out.

20 Odelia August 31, 2011 at 8:58 am

How long does it store for and how did you store it? I’m thinking of using ziploc bags or a Tupperware container

21 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 31, 2011 at 9:04 am

It will store for 2 to 3 weeks – it all depends on how often you play with it and how long you leave it sitting out. .I keep mine in a ziploc baggie as well.

22 Kristen August 31, 2011 at 6:48 pm

We made this last year and my kids loved it! During our Royalty theme, we added glitter to it and it worked great. The kids loved the added sparkle AND we were able to use glitter WITHOUT getting it all over the classroom.

sites.google.com/site/earlychildhoodscribbles

23 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 31, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Well done! It does work very well!

24 Karen September 1, 2011 at 6:42 am

Thank you for the recipe! Our favorite activity with slime/gak is using straws to blow bubbles and then they each get to take theirs home at the end.

25 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 1, 2011 at 7:42 pm

We did that today – thanks to the recommendations from you and others! The kids LOVED it!

26 Sheila September 1, 2011 at 9:28 am

Oh, this will definitely keep my nephews busy this weekend. Thanks for sharing this great stuff. I’m glad I found your site. It’s filled with lots of ideas I could use for the li’l ones.

27 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 1, 2011 at 7:40 pm

I am so glad you stopped by – keep coming back!

28 Ms. Jessi September 6, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Oooo….this is great! I love slime/goo/gak! I love how you explained it so well. I always miss those last steps and its too sticky. :)

Thank you so much for supporting my new linky party!!

29 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 6, 2011 at 8:43 pm

You are welcome Jessi!

30 Ms. Jessi September 11, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I featured you this week! :)

31 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 11, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Thank you – I better go take a look. I got online a little late today :)

32 Pam Ennnis October 11, 2011 at 1:01 am

Thank you for this recipe. I made it in early Sept. for both preschool and as a prize in Sunday school. It’s been a big hit for both age groups. I did label the containers for Sunday school, I used the plastic Ball freezer jars with a screw on lid, and attach a label that listed ingredients and when and where to play with the gak/slime. That was appreciated by the parents, as the parents in this region aren’t particularly familiar with gak/slime. I can attest to the need for Elmers glue or a similar quality glue as the off brand just didn’t work as well. I am wondering has anyone tried it with the clear Elmers school glue? If so what were the results?

33 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 11, 2011 at 7:37 am

I haven’t tried it with clear Elmers glue. Let me know if you do!

34 Pam Ennis October 11, 2011 at 11:09 am

I forgot to add that we find mixing the dye into the glue first works so much better, and with my little ones this year gak/slime is a bigger hit than play-doh.

35 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. October 11, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Absolutely a great idea!!

36 Lisa Marie Mary October 11, 2011 at 9:35 am

That looks like so much fun! I totally want to try that with my kids! (They’re older, but, it looks like too much fun to pass up!) ;)

37 Anna October 11, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I don’t pre-color it, I let the kids draw on it with washable markers, it really looks neat! But it does ruin the markers.

{ 4 trackbacks }