Planning marvelous mitten activities for preschool

by Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. on December 29, 2010

in Mittens, Mittens, Winter Art

I am in the middle of preparing lesson plans for our winter session at school and one thing that I would love to include is an entire unit on nothing but mittens. I am not the only one who enjoys mittens. The mitten matching photo below was from a teacher on my Teach Preschool Facebook page. She took the time to create her own mitten matching game after reading this cute little mitten matching idea by Not Just Cute!

Shared with me on Facebook by Leeanne A.!

Part of the reason I started looking at blogs in the first place was to drum up new and fresh ideas for writing lesson plans. In preparing lesson plans, I spend a lot of time searching out ideas and then figuring out how I can use them or plug them into my overall planning. Once I have some ideas in mind, I open up my handy dandy lesson plan overview template that looks something like the one below and start filling in the blanks…

After I fill in my Overview Sheet/Weekly Calendar – then I start putting down the details for how to implement each item listed on this sheet. The template above is just an overview of what I hope to do each day with the kids. I will go into more detail in what we refer to as the “guts” of the lesson plans later on in my planning.

Back to Mittens!

I thought I would share with you some of the mitten ideas I have found so if you are considering a Mitten Unit, you can use some of these great ideas too.

“The Mitten” by Jan Brett is a terrific book that I could write down for circle time!

The Mystery of the Missing Red Mitten” is one of my favorite books so I will add it under a day for my circle time too!

“The Mitten” is also an old favorite of mine so I will add it under circle time too!

And I will want to add “The Three Little Kittens” to my circle time list too!

Designing Mittens is a cute idea for creative art so I might plug it in under creative art.

A Little bit of Low-Mess Mitten Painting might be fun so I just might include it under creative art too.

And how about some Marvelous Messy Mitten fun too!

Working on cutting skills would also be a good addition to my creative art time.

I just have to include some Mitten Clipping for fine motor skills and matching in Math.

Matching Mittens would be a fun idea to include under Math.

Mitten Graphing and Counting might also be a fun idea to add under Math.

A little Mitten Symmetry might also be a good prospect for Math.

And sometimes I add make a little activity on my computer too!

I do have ideas of my own to include or ideas that I have used in the past:) But scanning the internet brings me some fresh ideas so I don’t get stuck in a rut:)

For science, we can put a little ice in the sensory table and try picking up the ice with our mittens on and off.

For large motor, we can play “Drop the Mitten” which is actually “Drop the Hankie”.

For music – well there are plenty of mitten or winter songs out there to include in my lesson plans.

And sometimes I add make a drawing activity or puzzle activity on my computer to go along with my units too!

We can marble paint some mittens, make mitten patterns, compare mittens to gloves, and the list goes on!

Next week, some of these mitten activities may be included in our lesson plans – I will be sure to take a few photos of the children in action as they do! But for today, I thought I would just share with you what I am currently working on from home.  If you have another mitten activity to share – I would love for you to leave a comment below with a link to your idea!

-Deborah Stewart on Google+ or Teach Preschool G+ Page

1 Cyndi December 29, 2010 at 1:23 am

Hi Deborah

I was just reading this and thinking you could do lacing around a mitten made of card or even a felt one.

Depending on how old they are you could also do a bit of skip counting 2, 4, 6 etc using pairs and some numeracy sharing out pairs of mittens to an odd number of children.

Cyndi

2 Deborah J. Stewart December 29, 2010 at 1:38 am

Oh yeah – I totally forgot about mitten lacing!! And skip counting is a great idea for older children!

3 Little Wonders' Days December 29, 2010 at 8:02 am

I don’t know if they still have them, but Michaels had small wooden mittens on clearance last week (15 cents each). I bought a pair for each of the kids to decorate. I thought we could do some activities with them before I finally string them together.

4 Deborah J. Stewart December 29, 2010 at 8:13 am

Cute idea!

5 Giggles and Crayons December 29, 2010 at 8:47 am

How timely! I was going to do a small mitten theme with my daughter. I was just going to use 3 little kittens and Jan Brett’s book but now I am going to check into some of your other suggestions.

6 Giggles and Crayons December 29, 2010 at 8:52 am

Oh and an idea, if you have multiple pairs of mittens, then fill them up with different contents, like a crumpled up newspaper, an empty chip bag and a sealed bag of rice and then have them match them up (not by color) but by contents. I’m not sure how to close them. If they were extras (like from lost and found) you probably could just sew them up.

7 Deborah J. Stewart December 29, 2010 at 10:04 am

What a terrific idea! I haven’t tried that!

8 Giggles and Crayons December 29, 2010 at 12:39 pm
9 Deborah J. Stewart December 29, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Oooh, this is really good April! Thanks for posting the link!

10 jess December 29, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Hi Deborah!

Great ideas! I am planning too. We are not doing Mittens only but will include mittens and will use some of your ideas!! Thanks so much!

11 Amanda Morgan December 31, 2010 at 3:44 am

Thanks, Deborah! I love seeing what Leeanne did with the mitten match idea! What darling mittens!

12 Deborah J. Stewart December 31, 2010 at 2:41 pm

So do I :)

13 Darcey January 2, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Hi Deborah, These are great mitten activities! I never would’ve thought of all of them. I’ve included your post on my weekly favorites here: http://play2grow.blogspot.com/2011/01/weekly-favorites-for-january-2-2011.html Hope your new year is starting off well!

14 Deborah J. Stewart January 2, 2011 at 8:23 pm

What a nice thing to do Darcey! Thank you:)

15 Joan Banker January 4, 2011 at 3:22 pm

These ideas are all wonderful! I place several pairs of mittens in a laundry basket, then hang a short clothesline between two chairs in the classroom and let my preschoolers practice using clothespins to hang up the matching mittens! We also love “The Mitten Song” and enjoy wearing our mittens with the “thumbs up” while singing the song. I can’t wait for “Marvelous Mitten Day”!

I have taught preschool “all my life” – I am 55 years old, and your site is just the best, Deborah!! Thanks so much for sharing!

16 Deborah J. Stewart January 4, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Hi Joan!
I love meeting people like you who are so dedicated and enthusiastic about teaching young children:) I am not sure that I know the Mitten Song – I will have to look that up and we will wear mittens too when we sing it! Such a cute idea! Thank you for your very kind comment:)

17 Jackie January 5, 2011 at 7:53 am

We are doing mitten things today. I was trying to come up with a matching game. This will be great- I already have the mittens precut!! Also, I love The Jacket I wear in the Snow.- not specifically about mittens but it works, right?

18 Deborah J. Stewart January 6, 2011 at 12:35 am

I love that book too! And yes – it will work just fine:)

19 cheryl golangco February 27, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Hey Deborah, I also did an activity about mittens last Christmas that you could add to your list. Hope it helps for future units on mittens :)
Here’s the link: http://www.littlerunningteacher.com/colorful-mitten-christmas-wreath/

20 Deborah J. Stewart February 27, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Yes – I will add it tomorrow when I sit down to catch up on blogging! It will be a wonderful resource for next year:)

{ 1 trackback }