DIY Outdoor Sound Wall

DIY Outdoor Sound Wall

With the weather nice, my students want to be outside as much as possible and it is also a great time to add fun details for them to explore like our DIY Outdoor Sound Wall.

Ms. Lauren found this pallet and collected an odd assortment of pots, pans, trays, and wooden spoons to hang up on the pallet. She had extra pieces so she also set a few of the “musical instruments” on a table.

The children love it but I am so glad it is outside because it is quite noisy!

Sometimes the children just make lots of noise but other times, they will slow down and think more about the different sounds and how they can drum up a beat or a real tune. With time, the children have become less about just banging away and more intentional with their play.

Ms. Lauren likes to change the sound wall or table up a bit here and there. Putting different types of tools for tapping or different pots and pans for making sound. She has even added a few shakers for the children to add additional sound and interaction to their play.

Available on Amazon

• Shelley Bach Posted May 15, 2017 10:10 am

This is so cool. Funny thing is that is what I spent my weekend doing. I am really happy with it and can hardly wait for the children to get here. I love the surprized look on their faces when they see the new things each Monday.

• Julie Posted May 15, 2017 2:17 pm

What did she use to hang the “instruments” on the pallet? I can’t tell by the photos.

• Renee Posted May 16, 2017 7:35 am

I don’t know what she used, but a long nail would do the trick!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted May 17, 2017 7:21 pm

Hi Julie,
    She screwed tiny “coat like hooks” or “picture hooks” into the board. Then attached sticky back picture hangers to the pans that needed them.

• Kylie Posted July 4, 2017 10:49 pm

I have wanted one of these in our centre for ages, but have the problem of spiders! We tried a tin can wind chime, which was great, but only for a little while! Do you have that problem, and how do you overcome it?

• Deborah Stewart Posted July 6, 2017 9:39 pm

You will need to treat it like you would anything else that you leave outdoors for play. Either treat around it for spiders, take it indoors when not in use, or sweep it down on occasion.