Ducks around the preschool classroom

Ducks around the preschool classroom

Who knew you could incorporate ducks in so many ways around the classroom?

I’d love to show you a couple ways we incorporated ducks in our centers after reading Eric Carle’s “10 Little Rubber Ducks” and discussing all of the different things we knew about ducks – both the rubber and the feathered kind!

We know that ducks spend a LOT of time in water, so we joined our ducks in some water play…

These duckling watering pails from Walmart kept our students busy for a good portion of the morning – so much focus as they poured and filled their ducks back up…

We even discovered that the prints our ducks made looked like the eggs they lay!

Some of the children told their own story as they made their prints by adding legs and beaks to make a duck family similar to the family in our story.

And when they finished, they put their family in its nest to dry off from a busy day of swimming!

• Michelle Posted April 24, 2017 7:48 pm

You are amazing, I’m trying use preschool foundations with what they are doing so that DRDP’s are made a little easier.

• Cassie Larson Posted April 25, 2017 2:55 pm

SO much fun! Can you share more about your drying rack?

• Michelle Posted April 26, 2017 2:53 pm

I’ve always wanted to incorporate a water table into my environment. BUT I am afraid of the mess! I noticed that your children did not have smocks on. What is your secret to letting them have exploratory learning fun, without them getting soaking wet or getting it all over the floor?

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 27, 2017 12:13 am

Hi Cassie,
    In this classroom, we have a cardboard file box (with dividers) that fits nicely in this space and we use it for our drying rack as we don’t have room for anything larger. We have used the same box for several years.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 27, 2017 12:18 am

Hi Michelle,
    My students are so used to working with these kinds of materials and over time, they have gotten very good at self-regulating their use of the materials. They know to pull up their sleeves and play over the tub but we do get wet at times and water on the floor. We just keep lots of towels handy and give out reminders as needed. Like most things, a little teaching, reminding, and then time in actually practicing the process build competence.

• Cindy Lawson Posted April 29, 2017 9:28 am

My pre-K kids are really good at keeping dry/clean when playing in the sensory tub, too. Deborah, I’m wondering if you can tell me the dimensions of your tub. It looks like it’s an under-bed storage container? Is it deep enough to allow plenty of sensory material without too much spillage? I’m looking to make a sensory table to keep in my classroom as our program’s tub currently rotates to other classrooms and I only have it one week a month. Thanks!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 30, 2017 6:30 pm

We have both a wooden stand alone water table that we use in our outdoor classroom and we have an Under-the-Bed plastic storage container that we use on top of the table in our indoor classroom for sensory/sand/water play. The key to spillage control is to A) Fill it only as much as needed for play and add more as you go along where needed B) Towels, Lots of towels so you are not so focused on keeping all spilling from happening C) Teach – teach the children your expectations. Model it and show them how you would want them to manage the water D) Take waterplay outside on pretty days.

I also find that if you will place something in the center of the tub that the children can use to put containers on, they will be less likely to put the containers on the table outside of the container. But the children do like to fill and set their items on something so keep that in mind where possible.