Spin-around game

Spin-around game

My students love, and I mean love, playing all kinds of large motor games. If the children can spin, jump, run, or move about then they are just so happy. If I can’t think of a game, then I just make one up. This made up game is called the spin-around game.

How to Play

Invite the children to gather around in a circle. Choose one child to be the “spinner.” The spinner stands in the middle and cover his or her eyes and points out with one finger.

Now sing this song – you will have to make up a tune (or just chant it).

Spin (child’s name) spin,

Spin and spin again,

Spin (child’s name) spin,

Spin and “STOP!”

Whoever the “spinner” is pointing at now switches places with that child and the new “spinner” enters the middle of the circle. Now you can start the game again..

I love this game unless the spinner happens to point at me. I am too old to spin:)

More to Grow On!

• Esther Posted March 30, 2017 11:16 am

This sounds great! Easy and fun. I have a hard time finding simple gross motor games that my special ed students can play- many of the ones I find are a little too complex. You are so great at coming up with creative ideas! I would love to see more gross motor ideas specifically. Thanks for everything you share!

• Belinda Posted April 1, 2017 5:10 am

Thank you so much, this is really helpful. I am a kindergarten English Teacher in a foreign country and sometimes I really want to play with the kids to keep the lesson interesting. This will help me a lot.
    Thanks for sharing.

• Ann Erickson Posted April 2, 2017 8:04 am

I am in total agreement with Esther. I am no longer teaching full time, but volunteer at my grandchildren’s pre-school and share with the teachers there many of your postings and ideas.

• Julie Bergstrom Posted April 2, 2017 8:07 am

Great idea! Perfect when the children are getting antsy during circle times.
    Thank you for sharing your talent.

• Stephanie Drown Posted April 3, 2017 4:30 am

Nice game!!! I don’t think you’re too o!d to spin!! You look lovely and fit always!! 🙂

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 4, 2017 2:42 pm

Ha! Thank you Stephanie:)

• Ellie Posted April 3, 2017 5:12 am

Thank you for this idea! I start off my circle time with a music & movement or gross motor activity and I am always looking for more ideas.

• Susana Posted April 6, 2017 9:40 am

Love this. I can use this during transition time, like waiting for lunch!