Daily attendance with a me stick puppet

Daily attendance with a me stick puppet

One of the first things I like to have the children get into the habit of doing when they enter the classroom is to find their name. In our PreK class, Miss Cobb came up with this fun idea of creating stick puppets for our daily attendance board…

Daily attendance with a me stick puppet

To make the puppets, the children were invited to decorate a craft stick person any way they wished. Miss Lauren set out glue and a variety of collage and art materials for the children to choose from. On the handle of each stick puppet was the child’s name…

Daily attendance with a me stick puppet

The children found the puppet with their name printed on it and went to work designing their puppet anyway they wished. After drying, we noticed some of the pieces needed a little reinforcement so they wouldn’t fall off of their puppets while in use. We made sure that there was enough glue to hold the pieces in place without changing anything the children had created…

Daily attendance with a me stick puppet

Each morning, the stick puppets are set out on our shelf waiting for the children to see them as they enter the classroom.  The children put their back packs away then come back to the shelf to find their own puppet…

Daily attendance with a me stick puppet

And then put their puppet in their name pocket on our board so everyone will know who has come to preschool that day. You will notice a little helper stick is in the photo below as well. Each day the helper is moved to the next pocket and that will be our helper of the day….

Daily attendance with a me stick puppet

The children have quickly become familiar with this daily morning routine. It is a simple way to help them notice and recognize their name on the board and we can build on the process by talking about who is missing or how many children are present during our morning circletime…

Daily attendance with a me stick puppet

Available on Amazon

• Tinka Posted September 13, 2014 12:25 pm

Where do i get these little stick puppets to decorate. i live in Oklahoma and have not seen them

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 13, 2014 12:41 pm

They are available on Amazon! See Amazon link at end of post.

• Divya agarwal Posted September 13, 2014 12:50 pm

I have liked the work done by you!!!

• Bette V Posted September 13, 2014 1:33 pm

I use owls with their names on them. The children find their owl and attach to a tree using magnetic tape. Heading on the tree is Whoo’s Here?

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 13, 2014 4:23 pm

That is a darling idea!

• Pat Noe Posted September 13, 2014 6:52 pm

I LOVE this idea for taking “role call”! I have been doing a version of this idea for 15 years. I use the name tags (that we use at the very beginning 1st week of class) & I laminate them. When the children arrive to class, their name tag is already in their cubbie. They know to pick it up & transfer it to a pocket chart that is on the wall at the front of the room. When class is started, we first count the name tags (together as I point to each one) then we count the children that are sitting in circle. Are the numbers same? Different? Who is not here today? Children LOVE to see their name and it’s good name & alphabet recognition! And they learn their to recognize their friend’s names, too. Thanks for posting the stick puppet idea!!

• arsala Posted September 14, 2014 5:08 am

Really very interesting activities are design for the pre school . I really appreciate the role of all members who ate on the board of this website and helping all of us to improve our kids learning by these interactive low coste activities .
    Really I salute

• Meredith @ Homegrown Friends Posted September 15, 2014 8:59 pm

I love this so much! Thanks for sharing Deborah. Having each child and teacher make a puppet is so meaningful! Sharing tonight!

• Keri Vandongen Posted September 16, 2014 9:34 pm

Hi Deborah,
    I love your creative activities that you feature throughout your website. I’ll make a note of your site to refer to any of my keen preschool parents or teachers who are looking for fun & educational activity ideas to do with kids.
    Keri

• Stacy @ Share&Remember Posted September 17, 2014 9:28 am

I like this idea. I have some stick puppets I wanted to use this month so I think I’ll will create something similar. Thank you!

• Pat Noe Posted September 24, 2014 7:52 pm

I have been looking daily at your wonderful website for the last few years. But, unless I did something to my laptop, your website is not updating for me! The last post I show was from September 13 regarding stick puppets (which is a great idea, by-the-way). Are you still posting daily ideas for preschool teachers??? Thanks, Pat Noe

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 27, 2014 7:55 am

Hi Pat,
    I have had to take a brief break and that was my latest post. I will be back on top of things again soon!

• Lesley @ early play Posted September 29, 2014 1:07 am

I love how the children created their own stick puppets. A bit difficult for my 2 year olds but we will adapt this and post it on fb.