A visit to the apple market : an apple dramatic play center

A visit to the apple market : an apple dramatic play center

Last week we did lots of apple exploring and I mean lots. I bought a bag of each color of apples (red, green, yellow, and even a set of Gala apples) for the children to explore all through the week. My students ate, investigated, smelled, cooked, and explored apples in many different ways. We transported apples from one place to another including our Apple Farmer’s Market dramatic play center….

The Apple Market dramatic play center by Teach Preschool

Before heading off to play in our Apple Market, we read the simple and brightly illustrated book “Apple Farmer Annie” by Monica Wellington. Annie takes us on her adventures of growing apples, picking apples, cooking apples, hauling apples to the Farmer’s Market, setting up an apple stand, selling apples, and then heading back home…

The Apple Market dramatic play center by Teach Preschool

Both of our classes spent time at the Apple Market and both the younger and older children equally loved playing in the apple market center. I chose to set up the apple farmer’s market center in our outdoor classroom on the “tinker table.”  I covered the table with a bright red table cloth, added calculators, pencils, scales, a money drawer, pretend money, and apples…

The Apple Market dramatic play center by Teach Preschool

Now that we had read about Annie and discussed some of the things Annie did with her apples, the children were ready to visit our apple market too!…

The Apple Market dramatic play center by Teach Preschool

All week long the children bought and sold apples to each other…

The Apple Market dramatic play center by Teach Preschool

The children came and went from the Apple Market as they wished. Some would come and go, others would stay for a long time…

The Apple Market dramatic play center by Teach Preschool

The children explored the scales and calculators or just spent time counting money…

The Apple Market dramatic play center by Teach Preschool

The children talked with each other, made their own rules for play, took food orders, and wrote down lists or numbers…

The Apple Market dramatic play center by Teach Preschool

Sometimes the apple market was very busy…

The Apple Market dramatic play center by Teach Preschool

And other times, business was a little slow…

The Apple Market dramatic play center by Teach Preschool

There was always something to do at the apple market all week long and since my students are still learning about each other, it was a wonderful way to invite them to talk to each other and cooperate with each other…

The Apple Market dramatic play center by Teach Preschool

What a wonderful beginning we are already having to our preschool year!

Available on Amazon

• barbara Posted September 7, 2014 8:41 am

where did you get those wonderful scales?

• paulabuck Posted September 7, 2014 8:45 am

This is a really cool dramatic play opportunity! How long will you leave it up and available?

• Eileen Posted September 7, 2014 9:04 am

Very fun! Just noticing also…… Is that an oil pan on your tinker table? Did you spray paint it? Wondering if the paint will stay or get scratched easily….. Could be a great surface for so many activities!

• Cheryl Posted September 7, 2014 10:17 am

Hi Deborah,

I was wondering where you purchased the red scales the children used to weigh their apples. They are great!
    Thanks,
    Cheryl

• Bonita meek Posted September 8, 2014 11:19 am

Where did you get the scales? I love them!!!!

• Marcia Posted September 8, 2014 10:55 pm

Where did you find the red weighing scales?

• Amanda Mason Posted September 9, 2014 10:50 am

That is so fun! I love setting up little dramatic play stores etc. I love playing in them with the kids too because they are so hilarious. Thank you for sharing this simple fun center. We will be trying it!

• Megan Posted September 10, 2014 9:19 am

Deborah,

Where did you find/purchase such cool scales to weigh the apples?

• Bumblebees R Us Day Care Center Posted September 11, 2014 1:38 am

This certainly is a wonderful way to jumpstart the schoolyear for your preschoolers. This way, they are able to interact with each other, play and learn new things. Thanks for sharing this!

• Melissa Posted September 11, 2014 8:35 pm

Hello, Deborah!

I was just looking for a way to see if there was going to be a post card exchange this fall? I know there were deadlines last year, so if there is one, I didn’t want to miss any of them. It was such a great learning experience for my “littles” last year. If there’s anything I could do to help out, please let me know… thanks, Deborah! Hope your school year’s started out fabulously! =) Melissa Jetzer

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 13, 2014 10:27 am

Ours came from Walmart!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 13, 2014 10:29 am

My set came from Walmart.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 13, 2014 10:36 am

I purchased them from Walmart about 3 years ago:)

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 13, 2014 10:38 am

Hi Eileen,
    Yes, that is an oil pan and I did spray paint it. After awhile it gets a little scratched up but a good quality paint makes the difference. I just touch it up over the summer time. I use my oil pan for many different uses all throughout the school year.

Deborah

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 13, 2014 10:38 am

We left ours up for about 2 weeks then changed it out as the children started losing interest and we had moved on to other things as a class.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 13, 2014 10:39 am

Hi Barbara,
    They came from Walmart about 3 years ago.

• Margie Posted September 16, 2014 7:51 am

Where, oh where, did you find those lovely scales? Brand name, please?

• Marcia Posted September 17, 2014 11:25 pm

Where did you get the weighing scales? They are adorable!

• Darla Mintz Posted September 24, 2014 5:47 am

Where did you get the red analog kitchen scale? I love them!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 27, 2014 7:55 am

I got it from Walmart but it has been about 4 years ago:)

• Danielle Posted October 1, 2014 4:30 pm

I am a lead Pre-K teacher at a wonderful little catholic school. I have enjoyed all of you posts and ideas. I do have one question…how do you find time throughout the school day to fit it all in? My current class consists of 14 students and I have one teacher’s aid. Our class starts at 8:15am and ends at 11:45pm. I feel like I never have enough time to introduce a new center/activity and give the children ample time to enjoy it. Do you have any helpful tips?

Sincerely,

Dpeterson

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 2, 2014 10:11 pm

HI Danielle,
    I too feel like I don’t have enough time to fit it all in so we sometimes do have to scale back a little and choose our priorities. One thing I do is split my day up into two parts. The morning is a bit more “guided” or “planned” where the after snack time is more open ended play. So for example, the apple market was set up in our outdoor classroom and left open for play all week as one center of play. The children had ample time over the week to play there where as the other centers may change. So it depends on the center and the goal and the space I set it up. Our outdoor center is much more open ended and explorative so in a sense, I preserve the time out there for just their chance to freely explore. I hope that makes sense!

Deborah