How to put on a coat in preschool

How to put on a coat in preschool

In the middle of winter time, it can seem like the classroom is filled with an overabundance of coats, gloves, hats, and scarves. Trying to keep winter wear all organized and then helping kids get everything on can be a daunting task for preschoolers yet alone preschool teachers (or parents). To help the children be more independent in putting coats on, we teach them this simple process so they can learn how to put on their own coat…

How to put on a coat by Teach Preschool

Start by inviting a child to place his or her coat in the middle of the floor with the zipper or opening of the coat facing up. Then  stand at the head of the coat and look down…

How to Put On A Coat by Teach Preschool

Next, invite the child to place both hands inside the sleeves of the coat…

How to Put On A Coat by Teach Preschool

Now the child must lift the coat up and over his head while continuing to slide his hands down the sleeve of the coat…

How to Put On A Coat by Teach Preschool

Some of my students are able to put their coats on the traditional way and others can get one sleeve on then end up chasing their other sleeve around in circles. So we introduce this process to all the children then let them explore which way works best for them…

How to Put On A Coat by Teach Preschool

Once the children have a good grasp on getting coats on all by their selves, then we are ready to move onto how to zip up a zipper!

How to Put On A Coat by Teach Preschool

But I don’t have any tips for zipping up coats – just lots of patience, practice, and time for those fine motor skills to cooperate!

How to Put On A Coat by Teach Preschool

Available on Amazon

Links to Grow On

Fleece Mittens from Make It and Love It

Colorful Fine Motor Play by Teach Preschool

How to Zip a Jacket from Baby Center

• Krista Posted February 6, 2013 7:29 am

I have a trick for zippers. The zipper is an alligator with his mouth open. The other side is the food, you must put the food all the way into the alligator’s mouth. then he can swim up and give you a kiss. Be sure to lift your chin or he may give you a little “bite”

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted February 6, 2013 12:52 pm

Ingenious!!

• Melinda Posted February 6, 2013 7:42 am

I’ve been teaching this to 3’s and 4’s for as long as I can remember and JUST THIS WEEK I had a parent tell me, “I don’t appreciate you teaching her to do that like she is stupid! I want her putting it on like a normal person!” Rarely am I left speechless…..

• Heidi Butkus Posted February 6, 2013 8:26 am

Oh, my! I don’t know what I would say! But the first thing that comes to mind is, “No, stupid would be having them all wait while I help each and everyone of them put the coat on like a “normal” person, and then by the time we are done, there is no time left for recess.”
      What in the world did you say?
      Heidi Butkus

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted February 6, 2013 12:52 pm

Haha Heidi!!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted February 6, 2013 12:49 pm

Oh my goodness!! Now I’m speechless too:) wow!

• linda Posted February 15, 2013 9:59 pm

I think you should invite her to your classroom and then stand back and watch (with a well-hidden smirk on your face) as she single -handedly helps each child put on their coat “like a normal person”. . .

• School Sparks Renee Posted February 6, 2013 7:54 am

That the way I taught it and my grandson’s school does the same thing. It’s so nice when children are independent – I call that a “win-win” situation! 🙂 Renee

• Heidi Butkus Posted February 6, 2013 8:24 am

Ingenious! I would never have thought of that! Thanks so much for posting it!
    🙂
    Heidi

• LaQuetha Posted February 6, 2013 9:05 am

I love the coat trick.

• Dottie Posted February 6, 2013 12:20 pm

For zipping, I show my children slowly while I say this:
    You put your pole in the hole, all the way down to the box, hold it down, don’t let it come out, then pull up.

The pole is the long end of the zipper which goes into the “handle?”. The box is the stopper of the zipper.

My children have used this to help them zip. I teach a 3/4 year old classroom. It definitely helps.

• Karen Posted February 6, 2013 12:52 pm

I teach them to put the hat in first and then their arms. I also had to teach them to put their hands into arms that are inside out and grab it to turn it back right side out.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted February 6, 2013 3:13 pm

Yes, we find that we have to teach the kids to make sure their arms are not inside-out! Sometimes, those sleeves can be a bear!

• Jill Posted February 6, 2013 2:49 pm

don’t you get some of the kids whapping each other in the face? lol. or is it just my kid that is rammy? They could accomplish the same thing by putting it down, sitting at the bottom of it, and leaning back their arms into it and then ‘shrugging’ into it, and putting on their boots and then standing up and zipping. What we do around here. (not a classroom)

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted February 6, 2013 3:14 pm

Not so far:) But I am sure it could happen!! Sounds like another good plan for teaching independence! LOVE!

• Sheryl Posted February 6, 2013 10:25 pm

We use this method at school, too. We call it “dip and flip”. For the zipper, we tell them to put the baby in the bed, then pull the covers up.

• Ginny Posted February 8, 2013 4:11 pm

I have used this technique successfully with 2-3 year olds for years! I also always said “one two, one two, up and over!” For some reason this helped them remember what to do!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted February 8, 2013 11:31 pm

Wow – I hadn’t heard of this saying. I think the one two helps them remember to think about their hands?

• Ginny Posted February 9, 2013 9:32 am

Exactly! For some reason it really works!

• Michelle Posted February 10, 2013 5:43 pm

We like to say “tag at your toes, up and over your nose”
          Our zipper is a spaceship and we put it down onto the launch pad and blast off 🙂

So many great ideas here to help children be successful.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted February 10, 2013 7:04 pm

Oh how cute!

• linda Posted February 13, 2013 10:50 pm

My great-nephew showed me this trick a few years ago. I have older 4s and 5s who have pretty much mastered the coat thing, so I haven’t used it much. . . until this year. I have a little guy on the spectrum. The first time I asked him to put his coat on, his head ended up in the sleeve. I showed him this “trick” and that’s the last time I had to help him. He was so proud, he showed anyone who would pay attention. . . even the people at McDonalds. lol.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted February 14, 2013 10:01 pm

Ah, so sweet! What a great accomplishment!

• Trackback: 3 Simple Ways for Children to Put Coats On - Preschool Inspirations