Lots and lots of dots

Lots and lots of dots

We recently read the book titled “Lots of Dots” by Craig Frazier and then followed up the book with this super simple but bright and colorful art activity….

“Lots of Dots” by Craig Frazier is a wonderfully illustrated book about how dots can be found just about everywhere you go.  After reading this book, you just can’t help but be inspired to head over to the art table to explore a little dot painting of your own…

At the table, the children found paper plates with dots of different colors of paint and a dot sponge brush all set out for painting…

The children used their dot sponge brush to add lots of dots all over their white piece of paper…

You might be wondering if the colors will mix together since we only used one dot sponge brush per set of paints and the answer is… well , yes – kind of…

Because this is a sponge brush, the paint doesn’t quite stick on or absorb up into the brush like it might a regular paint brush. So the paint often begins to mix together around the edges of the brush but not in the center of the dot brush. As you make dots on the paper, most of the color currently on the bottom of the sponge tends to rub off – so you still get lots of different colors of dots with a touch of color mixing around the edges…

This was an extremely simple activity to put together and an easy process for the children just to relax and enjoy.  In addition, this process went perfectly with the cover of our “Lots of Dots” book. I set the book out on the table to inspire the children to make lots of dots of their own…

I previously shared a photo of this activity on my Facebook Page and someone asked me if this activity is messy.  In my mind, this is about the least messy painting activity you can do but I am sure that depends on the age of your students, how often they paint, how much paint you use, and if they like to get messy or not.  Compared to many of the other activities we do in my classroom, this painting process was fairly mild when it comes to the mess meter…

I had to admire all of our paintings after the children were done because they were so colorful and beautiful no matter how many dots a child chose to add to their paper and our classroom was definitely filled with lots of dots…

By the way, you can purchase the dot sponge brushes in the craft or scrapbook section of most stores. I think I picked my set up from Walmart or Michaels or both!

Available on Amazon

• Donna Posted October 25, 2012 6:24 am

Always enjoy reading your blog with my morning cup of coffee!! You are so creative!! I also use the book “Lots of Dots” when we talk about circles.

• Margaret@GrowingPlay Posted October 25, 2012 7:37 am

Love the end result. Super cute

• Laura Posted October 25, 2012 8:09 am

Very cute!

• Esther Posted October 25, 2012 9:18 am

The Dot art looks beautiful! We love Lot of Dots book! “Dots that Smell Sweet”:-)

• Carla Posted October 25, 2012 9:20 am

Hi Debbie,

What a cute book & activity. You should tie this in (on a small scale, of course!) to pointillism and to artists such as Monet!!

• Lori Posted October 25, 2012 9:50 am

So simple and so cute!

• Mary Posted October 25, 2012 9:57 am

Thank you for sharing Lots of Dots. What a great technique for children to paint. In reference to if this activity is messy, children love to have fun, and what an adult might consider messy isn’t and it also encourages to participate in the activity. It is also letting them know there’s no wrong way for that particular activity. Best, Mary@diligentnanny.webs.com

• Amanda @ Dirt and Boogers Posted October 25, 2012 2:09 pm

We have some of those same dot sponges and J loves them. I haven’t read Lots of Dots yet, guess I’ll have to get that the next time we make dot paintings!

• Rebekah @ The Golden Gleam Posted October 25, 2012 3:04 pm

Love this simple art project tied into the book! Since I am sort of cheap we use corks from wine bottles for dot printing.

• Eddie Posted October 25, 2012 3:15 pm

My son would love this activity! He has a thing about dots…bingo dabbers, q tip dots….there’s finally a Michaels opening near here so I’ll have to go hunt down the book and those brushes! Thanks for sharing.

• Megan @ CoffeeCupsandCrayons Posted October 25, 2012 5:09 pm

Love that book! The paintings look great!

• Trisha @ Inspiration Laboratories Posted October 25, 2012 5:55 pm

This looks like a great book! My son would love the dot art. Every time we get out the round sponge brushes, he says he’s making monsters. 🙂

• Debs Posted October 25, 2012 7:45 pm

Oh wow, love this! I really must find that book. I find the bingo markers are great for dotty fun too… and I have a cool DIY coming up that uses dot stickers. We have the same round sponge stampers you’re using there too so once I find that book, we’ll be doing this activity. Thanks! 🙂

• Melissa @ mamamiss Posted October 25, 2012 8:56 pm

Love this! I must find this book too!!! I love book/craft combos 🙂

xx M

• Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree Posted October 25, 2012 9:08 pm

This likes a wonderful book! Miss you and the blog world! Hope you are well!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 26, 2012 12:14 am

I miss you to Melissa! I was so happy you shared on my FB wall today!

• Kristah Posted October 25, 2012 10:01 pm

I love polka dots. I would love to read this book to my daughter and do a cool painting for the house.

• andie jaye Posted October 25, 2012 11:13 pm

ooh… i’ve seen this book, but never read it. it’s on the list for the next library visit. what lively and fun paintings they created. (of course i love them with my blog name, lol)

• JDaniel4’s Mom Posted October 26, 2012 7:03 am

This is such a cute craft! The book looks like fun! I would love for you to link this post to Read.Explore.Learn.

• San Nu Posted January 30, 2013 6:39 am