DIY magnetic craft sticks

DIY magnetic craft sticks

I previously shared how I made my own textured pizza box puzzles and during that same DIY game making spree, I also created these super fun craft stick magnets for our large magnetic board…

I purchased colored craft sticks for this process but you could certainly paint your own set of craft sticks. On both ends of each craft stick, I hot glued a magnet…

I also hot glued some of the craft sticks together to make shapes and added the magnets on the shapes…

Today was the first day I set out the craft stick magnets and the children explored the craft stick magnets on our large magnetic board…

Immediately, I could hear the children naming the shapes of the different magnets and deciding how they could make their own shapes…

This is easily an open ended DIY activity as we will be able to use the magnetic craft sticks to explore patterns, shapes, counting, colors, and more…

Super fun and super easy to make…

Available on Amazon

Links to Grow On..

Magnetic marble tubes from Teach Preschool

Magnetic play set for preschool from Teach Preschool

More pizza box games from Teach Preschool

Rainbow craft stick puzzles from Teach Preschool

More fun ideas for Craft Sticks on Pinterest!

• Leeanne A Posted February 21, 2012 8:40 pm

Oh I like – please link this up on my linky! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted February 21, 2012 9:00 pm

Sure will Leeanne:)

• Nur Hani Posted February 21, 2012 9:11 pm

I love this idea. Can’t wait to do it with my daughter. It’s so fun. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Kara Posted February 21, 2012 10:33 pm

Very neat idea. I think my daughter would enjoy building pictures on the fridge with the sticks, houses and such. Thanks!

• Rashmie @ Mommy Labs Posted February 22, 2012 12:50 am

Brilliant idea, Deborah! So playful and creative…

• Scott Posted February 22, 2012 8:25 am

You know how much I love magnet stuff – and your ideas are always so fun. I love the shapes in addition to just sticks – so kids can create all kinds of designs. We’re doing this!

• Shelly Posted February 22, 2012 9:46 am

Such a fun idea! Can’t wait to make these! I’m sure the kiddos will LOVE them!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for sharing your brilliant ideas with us Deborah!

• JDaniel4’s Mom Posted February 22, 2012 10:22 am

I love the effect the dye has on the pipecleaners. Really cool idea!

• Nicole {Tired, Need Sleep} Posted February 22, 2012 10:29 am

Brilliant! Matthew would love this as he is into all things magnetic lately and loves making pictures with “stuff”. I will be writing a post soon about all the magnet fun we’ve been having lately, and I’m pretty sure it will amount to just one big link back to your many wonderful ideas! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Laura Posted February 22, 2012 2:30 pm

Beautiful idea…i’ll try to find material to make this game for my two years old daughter!!!

• Rachel Posted February 22, 2012 5:10 pm

What are you using for your large magnetic board? I’ve been searching for an inexpensive alternative to a pricy dry-erase magnetic board.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted February 22, 2012 11:32 pm

Hi Rachel,
    This is a metal “drip pan” or “grease pan” like they use to put under cars for repairs. They are available at most Walmart stores in the auto section or at an auto supply store. I painted my magnet board (pan) with white and red metal spray paint to give it a prettier finish:)

• andiejaye Posted February 23, 2012 2:10 am

these look like fun! and i’ve got a ton of craft sticks. i lose them, buy more, and then find the original ones ๐Ÿ˜› i bet Bear would love something like this! thanks for all of the hard work that you do!

• Km Posted February 24, 2012 9:26 pm

Such a fantastic idea!!! I need to get a great big magnetic board. I so appreciate all your inspirational ideas!!

• Chrissy @ The Outlaw Mom Blog Posted March 16, 2012 10:46 am

What an easy, magnificent idea. I thought it looked familiar when I got here from Pinterest (someone else pinned it)…and it was you! Of course ๐Ÿ™‚

• Andrea Keller Posted March 18, 2012 12:17 pm

I absolutely Love your blog! I wonder if you allow pinning? I would love to pin this idea to my pinterest board for Active Learning Stations. Thanks!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted March 18, 2012 4:23 pm

Of course – pinning is welcomed!

• Laura Posted April 7, 2012 10:20 am

Where did you get the sticks, b/c I bought some from Walmart and they bled all over our hands! Luckily b/f I went through the trouble of putting the magnets on them. I bought colorless ones, but I still want to try the colored if I can be sure they won’t bleed, esp when my 16 mos old puts them in his mouth. Help!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 7, 2012 10:31 am

You may need to paint your own craft sticks for kids who are still in the stage of putting them in their mouths. I got mine from Walmart too but the children who play with them are older:)

• Laura Posted April 7, 2012 10:50 am

Yeah, I kinda figured I would have to find my own solution. Thanks for the info! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Karen Posted December 11, 2016 6:47 am

Love, love, love the idea. But are you afraid the little magnets might somehow come off in a little hand or mouth? Does the hot glue bond them really well so this could not happen? Thank you. Love your ideas.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted December 11, 2016 7:10 am

Hi Karen,
    The little magnets could very well come off. My students are at the age where they come to me right away when something gets torn, falls off, or broken and we talk about this often with the kids. So you definitely have to know your students and what they are ready for. I do find that using E6000 glue over hot glue seems to hold the magnets better but you have to let dry overnight.