Painting with circles in preschool

Painting with circles in preschool

We are off on a new adventure as we explore shapes over the next few weeks and today, we spent a little time painting circles…

Just to make it a little more interesting, I stapled groups of paper tubes together for the children to paint with.  I had tubes in groups of one, two, three, and four circles….

I also set out new colors of paint for the children to paint with.  It seems we have used so many fall colors lately that it was nice to see a little pink and purple on the table for a day…

We explore shapes all the time in our classroom but I like to highlight shapes throughout the year so today we just focused on making circles…

This last photo I am sharing just because I thought it was interesting to see this child examining the tube. You never know what will be of ultimate interest to a child in the process of creating…

• Brenna Posted November 2, 2011 6:13 am

Good idea for a new painting technique. I’m gonna have to try this one. thanks.

• Amber Posted November 2, 2011 7:44 am

Something that happened once, entirely on accident, but now I do it intentionally is that I had put a good amount of dishsoap in the paint. When they were painting with the tubes and other cylinder containers to make circles, they would actually end up with bubbles on their paper! Then it would pop leaving a neat effect inside/outside the circle print.

• Esther Posted November 2, 2011 8:29 am

I love the bundled roll stamping idea! My daughter has a circle theme @school. May be we will try some circle stamping @home.

• Little Wonders’ Days Posted November 2, 2011 8:30 am

This looks like fun! I love that it is so easy too.

• Heather E. Posted November 2, 2011 10:53 am

This would be a GREAT way to make wrapping paper! To paint on the non-shiny side of freezer paper! So cute! Thank you for the idea.

• Kierna Posted November 2, 2011 3:05 pm

Deborah – you’re a life saver, I wanted a new but simple painting activity for this week & lo behold when I log on this evening there you are with this – thanks! Kierna

• Jill Posted November 2, 2011 3:40 pm

We just did a painting project with different colors as well because I felt as though the art work was looking “gloomy” with all the reds, oragnes, browns, and blacks! I love using toilet paper tubes! And I love all the inspriation i get out of your blog!!!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted November 2, 2011 9:05 pm

Thank you Jill:) I love the fall colors but I too was glad for a brief change:)

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted November 2, 2011 9:05 pm

This was definitely simple:)

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted November 2, 2011 9:06 pm

Great idea Heather!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted November 2, 2011 9:06 pm

Definitely super easy:)

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted November 2, 2011 9:07 pm

I love that you are extending her learning at home! What a great mom!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted November 2, 2011 9:07 pm

Oh – that is such a great idea Amber. I will give that a try!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted November 2, 2011 9:07 pm

It has lots of possibilities!

• Home School Coach Posted November 3, 2011 4:10 pm

This was such a good idea. I love toilet paper rolls. I am going to use this idea for sure. I also had a wonderful time doing shape activities with my grandchildren. I’d love to share http://home-school-coach.com/teaching-children-geometry-through-shapes/

• Jenni & Jody Posted November 4, 2011 12:34 pm

This is a great, inexpensive, easy-to-do idea for parents looking for a rainy day activity. The pictures on your blog make every post interesting! Thanks for sharing your creativity.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted November 5, 2011 10:41 am

Thanks for stopping by Jenni and Jody!

• Tammy Herr Posted March 4, 2012 8:12 pm

My preschool class did this! They loved it!!! Def recommended (my class is 3/4 year o lds).

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted March 4, 2012 9:02 pm

That is so awesome to hear Tammy!