Super duper spiderweb game for preschoolers

Super duper spiderweb game for preschoolers

Every chance I get, I try to switch up my magnet board to something new and interesting and this simple magnetic spider game turned out to be super fun…

I actually tried several approaches to using these magnetic spiders.  The spiders are made out of pipe cleaners. The wire in the pipe cleaner is magnetic so if you use a good magnet tool, you can make the spiders crawl or at the very least, they are fun to pick up with a magnetic wand).

My kids like to see how many spiders they could pick up at one time with the wands.  Then they would toss them back onto the spider web…

I had this center out for a couple of days and as I said earlier, I tried several approaches. I also put spiders in a bottle to see if the children could move the spiders with a magnetic wand…

Some of the children could get the spiders to move but others really had trouble with it and found it frustrating…

The children preferred to just use the wands to pick up the spiders from the magnetic board or cookie sheet. The next favorite thing to do was to smash the spiders with the magnetic wands:)

So perhaps this game should be called The spider grab and smash game!

Links to Grow On

Magnetic Painting from Rockabye Butterfly

Puffy Paint Magnets from Handmade Beginnings

Weaving Spider Webs from Teach Preschool

• pauline@lessonslearntjournal.com Posted October 27, 2011 7:19 am

Deborah, you are so clever. I love this and so would my boys. Can’t wait to make it so we can have a play too.

• Luz Posted October 27, 2011 11:13 am

what a great Idea. i think i will try it and then I `ll tell you how it run.
    Maria Luz

• andiejaye Posted October 27, 2011 11:58 pm

i forgot all about those magnet wands. going to have to look for some of those!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 28, 2011 8:59 am

We use our magnetic wands all the time!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 28, 2011 9:01 am

I would love to hear how it goes!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 28, 2011 9:02 am

Tell me how they do Pauline!

• Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree Posted October 28, 2011 9:48 am

Love all your spider activities! Looks like a lot of FUN!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 28, 2011 10:26 am

Thank you Melissa!

• AJ Posted January 29, 2012 11:30 am

I’m reading Charlotte’s Web with my pre-k kiddos and they are suddenly obsessed with spiders and webs. I have mostly 5 year olds now, so I might add some letters or numbers on to the spiders and make a game out of it somehow. Did you just use yarn to make the web around your board? I don’t have a fancy magnet board, would a cookie sheet work? Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful ideas! Your kiddos are lucky to have you as their teacher!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted January 29, 2012 11:36 am

Yes – a cookie sheet would be perfect!

• Sandra Posted February 24, 2012 8:50 am

I love all your ideas! I have used several of them in my classroom and the children loved them.