Very busy making spider webs in preschool

Very busy making spider webs in preschool

Today we read the book, “The Very Busy Spider” by Eric Carle. This is one of my all time favorite books. Everytime I read it aloud to a group of children, I have a captivated audience…

One of the best parts of this book is the web that is being formed throughout the book. The children love to feel it – and so do I…

We spent the entire day exploring spiders starting with this fun little spider chart I made on my computer.  I just used spider clip art off of the web and created my own little poster. The bottom says…

1. Spiders have 8 legs

2. Spiders eat mostly insects that fly.

3. Spiders catch insects in their sticky web.

Then we made our very own spiderwebs…

I let the children choose the color of yarn they would like to use for weaving their webs…

These are Styrofoam plates with little triangle cut outs around the edges to help hold the yarn in place…

Most of our children wanted to use multiple colors of yarn, so we just kept tying on new colors of yarn to the ends of their yarn pieces and let the children keep on weaving as long as they wished…

When they were happy with their webs, we let them add a spider to the end of the last string. The spider dangled down from the webs. Our pre-k children got the weaving concept down easily. Our threes were not all able to keep their weaving on course but their webs turned out just as fun and they loved the process since we kept the weaving process open to their interpretation…

Don’t you just love these webs?

You may be wondering how we managed to keep our yarn all organized with such a process so tomorrow, I am going to introduce to you our amazing yarn machine:)  You will love it!

Links to Grow On…

Don’t Get Caught in the Spider Web Game from Teach Preschool

Itsy Bitsy Spider Day in Preschool from Teach Preschool

More Spider Fun found here on Teach Preschool Pinterest

• Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree Posted October 25, 2011 5:56 pm

Love your spider webs! We will have to create some like this!

• Rainy Day Mum Posted October 25, 2011 6:03 pm

I love weaving and did a similar activity for craft at my playgroup last Friday we hole punched a paper plate and thread yarn through the holes making sure that the ends were sticky taped and then created pompom spiders. The 2 and 3 year olds needed some help but liked pulling the yarn through the hole once it was aligned correctly.

• CarrotyCarrots Posted October 25, 2011 6:52 pm

What a great activity! I love that book too.

Another activity I have done at school is to fill spray water bottles up with ‘magic web water’ and then go out into the garden. They squirt it everywhere (good for fine motor control) and when it lands on spiders’ webs it makes them really easy to see, just like dew in the morning.

Carrots

• Andrea Posted October 25, 2011 7:42 pm

Those are fun webs! I love that you let them interpret the weaving process on their own – I always enjoy seeing how my preschoolers interpret our crafts. It challenges that side of me that likes to have things “just so” – I’m a lot more relaxed about a lot of things since I started teaching. 😉

• Tiffanie W. Posted October 25, 2011 7:48 pm

These are simply adorable and something even nimble fingers can do, thanks for all the great ideas!

• Little Wonders’ Days Posted October 25, 2011 8:18 pm

Oh, these are cute! My Sassyfras loves to “tie” anything and everything. I bet she would like this activity.

• early childhood education Posted October 25, 2011 9:04 pm

That is fantastic! I need to replicate this with my kids. We recently made spiders with play dough. We can now create great homes for our spiders.:) This is great.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 25, 2011 9:22 pm

We did playdough spiders today too!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 25, 2011 9:22 pm

The children enjoyed working with the yarn:)

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 25, 2011 9:23 pm

Oh what a cute idea!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 25, 2011 9:24 pm

We actually made spiders to hang from our webs but they were not dry by the end of the day — so I let the children use the purchased spiders! I never thought of making pompom spiders though!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 25, 2011 9:24 pm

Haha – we had a few webs all tied up in knots!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 25, 2011 9:25 pm

Thanks for stopping by Melissa!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 25, 2011 10:13 pm

I am much more relaxed now than I used to be too Andrea:)

• angelique felix Posted October 26, 2011 4:24 am

So lovely Deborah! I see how much fun you are having with the children. It needs a child to think, act and sometimes become one I believe.
    lovely greetings, Angelique

• Rosana Garcia Hess Posted October 26, 2011 7:13 am

lovely idea….I´ll try this with my students next year
    thanks for sharing
    hugs from Brazil

• Cathy@pre-schoolplay Posted October 26, 2011 4:42 pm

These are brilliant. I love that they all look very individual and that the children weren’t restricted to only using black!

• early childhood education Posted October 26, 2011 8:20 pm

Awesome stuff!!!so much fun

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 26, 2011 10:01 pm

My class is used to using lots of color and although I did mine in black – it didn’t occur to them that they had to do theirs in black too!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 26, 2011 10:02 pm

Thanks for stopping by Rosana!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 26, 2011 10:02 pm

What a nice thing to say! I think you are right!

• Chris Posted October 29, 2011 11:31 pm

We tried these at a Halloween party. The kid loved this activity.

• sherylmorris Posted October 30, 2011 7:12 pm

Cute, cute.
    I try to avoid using styrofoam, however.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 31, 2011 1:16 am

I suppose you could use other materials like cardboard pizza circles!