Making squishy fishy aquariums in preschool

Making squishy fishy aquariums in preschool

We explored fish a few weeks ago and made squishy fishy aquarium. You can see how to make these sensory gel bags by clicking here.

The children put green and yellow food color in their gel bags because Mrs. Stewart (me) was not thinking very clearly that day. For some reason, I had it in my head that green and yellow make blue.  Have you ever had one of those days?

So instead of blue fishy bags we had a variety of green and yellow fishy bags. I am so glad children don’t really care about the final product as much as the process…

You can’t see the fish in there all that well in these pictures but the children also added foam fish to their gel bags…

I hung all our fishy bags in the window which made them tempting to walk by and feel throughout the day…

The light shining through makes our green and yellow squishy fishy bags quite a beautiful display…

So to make up for my brain lapse on color mixing, I served the children jello aquarium cups instead…

Yum but sweeeeet!

Available on Amazon

Linking up to No Time for Flashcards: Link and Learn

• Amber Posted October 24, 2011 7:35 am

Looks neat with the sun shining through them up on the door! My kiddos love gel bags also.

• abbie Posted October 24, 2011 9:07 am

Love this idea! Thanks for sharing.
    And yes, I think we all have those days!

• TheBargainBabe Posted October 24, 2011 10:03 am

love the aquarium squishy bags! That is a super idea. I’ve done squishy bags but never actually put something else IN.

By the way, I’m going to be in your neck of the woods soon. Shoot me an email if you wanna meet up!

• shar Posted October 24, 2011 10:26 am

I just want to reach right into my computer screen and touch one! Love the idea and have pinned it – thank you. ps – our fish pond looks that colour at the moment!

• Andrea Posted October 24, 2011 6:00 pm

That’s okay – the other day one of my cuties asked how to make red and I sat there thinking for a second until my mom helper pointed out you can’t. I’m sure she left wondering about her child’s teacher that day! 😀

• John Bowman Posted October 24, 2011 8:27 pm

Very cool activity, Deborah! Looks like the kids had a great time.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 25, 2011 7:54 am

• Jill Posted October 25, 2011 2:10 pm

I just LOVE this!! Great actvity for those kids that dont care so much for getting dirty!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 25, 2011 3:49 pm

For sure!

• Terri Posted October 26, 2011 3:08 pm

What fun and what a great sensory experience! I can just see the kids walking by to touch them all day… it would be too tempting not to!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 26, 2011 10:01 pm

I think I touched them more than the kids did:)

• Beth Posted October 30, 2011 2:23 pm

Those look AWESOME! Love the creative, fun idea! I wanted to invite you to link up at my TGIF Linky Party – http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/search/label/Linkey%20Parties
    ~Beth

• Lisa Posted October 31, 2011 11:52 am

My aunt owns a preschool and I think she will really appreciate this activity. Though you made an error with the color combination, I think the aquarium still turned out amazing. I can’t wait to see the effects when there is light. And serving them jello was brilliant.

• Darla Hutson Posted February 21, 2012 6:09 pm

Absolutely love these. Thanks so much for sharing your “squishy-fishy!”