Ghost writing in preschool

Ghost writing in preschool

We tried a little ghost writing in our class. You can call a process that you do many times by a different name and add perhaps a different color of paint and suddenly the process is very new and interesting once again…

For each child, I placed a small amount of white tempera paint in a black Styrofoam tray. The children used cotton swabs to make their ghost writing on the black tray…

I also set out black construction paper for the children either to add some ghost writing on the paper…

Or they could make prints of their ghost writing on the trays…

Most of the children tried it both ways…

By repeating a process, the children get more proficient in the process. By modifying the process to reflect a new season, holiday, or other interest of the child – the children stay more interested in the process…

Here are some of our ghost writing prints that I saved and put on the wall..

Available on Amazon

See more of on how we use this writing process by clicking here!

Linking up to The Play Academy!

Linking up to: Living Life Intentionally

• Little Wonders’ Days Posted October 21, 2011 6:44 am

I love their pictures and how you displayed them on the wall!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 21, 2011 9:41 am

• Esther Posted October 21, 2011 10:03 am

Wow! just love it! my ghost obsessed girl will love it! The combination of black and white is just wonderful. We had done line arts using chalk on black construction paper to go along with book “In a Dark, Dark woods!”

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 21, 2011 10:06 am

I need to find my copy of that book!

• Taleah Posted October 21, 2011 11:17 am

What type of paint do you use?

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 21, 2011 11:52 am

This is just white tempera paint.

• Heather @ Creative Family Moments Posted October 21, 2011 11:46 am

Love the title! Very fun yet simple idea that I never would’ve thought of! Sweet!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 21, 2011 11:53 am

The kids like it better too when you give it a fun title:)

• Cat Posted October 21, 2011 1:17 pm

ok super fun. I think I need to try this! love your ideas!!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 21, 2011 1:25 pm

Thank you for all your comments Cat:)

• Jill Posted October 21, 2011 2:46 pm

LOVE THIS! such an awesome creative idea!! We will defintly will be doing this next week!!! Thanks for sharing! i just love this website and all the ideas!!! Its helped me sooo much!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 21, 2011 11:06 pm

I am so glad you are enjoying my site Jill:)

• Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree Posted October 21, 2011 8:10 pm

It is funny… I agree when adding a word like “ghost” it adds a whole dimension. AS an art teacher even 5th graders would start talking about ghost stories when we did “ghost” prints. (prints that are the lightest quality after printing many times) Silly kids!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 21, 2011 11:04 pm

Haha – I think even grown-ups enjoy a new little spin on familiar ideas.

• andiejaye Posted October 22, 2011 1:31 am

this looks so fun! i will have to try using q-tips. my son refuses to write in paint with his fingers ((but he’ll get down and dirty with shaving cream!)) we are going to be doing your egg-cracking painting (from that one newscast that this was in) next week!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 22, 2011 9:55 am

Haha – you are? I haven’t done that in quite some time.

• Beth Posted October 22, 2011 6:25 am

Simple & cute ~ love it! Thanks for sharing. I would love for you to link up at http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/search/label/Linkey%20Parties
    ~Beth