Magnetic pumpkin play for preschoolers

Magnetic pumpkin play for preschoolers

This is an idea that started with the DIY – magnetic can play set I shared earlier this year. I wasn’t sure if the magnets would stick once I painted my cans but I decided to give it a go.

I spray painted the cans with black and orange paint and I added magnets to orange and black pom-poms for the children to stick to the cans…

Most of the children didn’t seem too interested in making pumpkin faces which is what I thought they would do – instead they just liked decorating the cans in all sorts of ways…

I heard comments like “I am making a pretty dress” and “This is a present for my boy friend.”

The pan you see the magnetic pom-poms and cans on is also magnetic.  I got the idea of using a large metal “grease pan” from Brick by Brick some time ago.  But I got tired of looking at the boring metal color and painted the pan with spray paint too. It is now bright white on one side and bright red on the back side.  It didn’t lose the magnetic quality and now it makes a much prettier magnetic surface to play on…

I set the magnetic pumpkin set and surface all out on our tinker table for play.

• Little Wonders’ Days Posted October 15, 2011 8:33 am

Clever idea. I was just thinking about doing a magnetic/nonmagnetic tray for my little ones and this would be a fun addition.

• kristin @preschool daze Posted October 15, 2011 9:21 am

of course!

(again, i say)

• andiejaye Posted October 15, 2011 11:03 am

for a boyfriend? ahaha! that’s really a fun idea. i think my bear might like something like that! and i like the name “tinker table.”

• Scott Posted October 15, 2011 3:27 pm

I love the white surface of the magnet board. I’ll bet the red is cool, too. I may have to spruce up my magnet board, too. 🙂

• Vicki Blacken Posted October 15, 2011 6:31 pm

I wonder if you could glue magnets to the back of some colorful, foam feather, head, beak, shapes and use the orange cans again next month for the children to create some turkey cans! I think I’ll give this a try. I really like the idea of using a metal base for more exploration too. Thanks again for all your terrific ideas and ways to recycle!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 15, 2011 11:52 pm

Oooh, great way to use the cans again and I am sure you could use the magnets on the back of foam cut outs!! Ingenious!!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 15, 2011 11:54 pm

I love the white so it shows up all the colors on the board but the red side is very pretty:)

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 15, 2011 11:55 pm

We interchange the tinker table to a sand table but I like to add things the children can tinker with too at times so we call it a tinker table too!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 15, 2011 11:56 pm

Haha – You make me smile Kristin!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 15, 2011 11:56 pm

This works out very well for a large magnetic play space!

• Rachelle | TinkerLab Posted October 16, 2011 3:11 am

You’re so clever!! We’ll definitely give this a try soon.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 16, 2011 10:25 am

Thanks for stopping by Rachelle!

• Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree Posted October 16, 2011 1:05 pm

What a Great idea! Love that you always extend all the activities! You could make lots of play sets with different themes.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 16, 2011 3:04 pm

Yes – You really could!

• Sabina Posted October 18, 2011 8:03 am

love, love the idea.
    I am going to use this idea for my sensory bin at the childcare centre.
    Thank you.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 18, 2011 9:44 pm

That’s wonderful Sabina! Have fun!

• Kristina Posted October 19, 2011 12:37 pm

You have so many ideas, but this has to be one of my favorites! (although I feel like I say that every time I stop by… but you’re always finding something new and fun)

Would love you to come link up your favorite October post on my linky today. http://toddlerapproved.blogspot.com/2011/10/best-of-october-link-up.html

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted October 19, 2011 2:53 pm