Exploring colorful cups in preschool

Exploring colorful cups in preschool

I am always looking for ways to invite the children just to explore colors. I have a set of brightly colored cups that I purchased this summer in the birthday party supplies at Target, so I brought them in for the children to play with…

I set them out on the table and let the children just play with them as they liked…

Some chose to stack the cups up to make a single line tall tower…

Others chose to stack them together across the table…

I was actually surprised that the children preferred stacking the cups inside each other rather than trying to stack them on top of one another. In this photo, the children worked together to create the tallest tower they could…

I actually purchased these cups to use on my light table but as you can see, the children had better plans for them!

• Debbie Clement Posted September 27, 2011 6:02 pm

LUVLUVLUVLUVLUV this post.
    Luv the colors.
    Luv the ease.
    Luv the sharing.
    Luv the documentation.
    Luv the whole entire concept!!!!!

You’re the best!!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 27, 2011 7:12 pm

• Brenna Posted September 27, 2011 6:25 pm

Check out this post I put up last week when my students were stacking cups. Not colorful cups but a similar activity as your class.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 27, 2011 7:11 pm

I sure will!

• Kristina Posted September 27, 2011 6:26 pm

What fun colors! We have been using cleaned out empty play-doh containers to build lately. I have a feeling your cups would be way more fun 🙂

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 27, 2011 7:11 pm

The bright colors add a little fun for sure!

• heather Posted September 27, 2011 6:49 pm

love it! don’t you just love when the simple things bring such collaboration and creativity? beautiful!!!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 27, 2011 7:10 pm

Yes I do!

• Cara Posted September 27, 2011 9:42 pm

So funny that you posted this, because I just posted about a similar activity with my 4 year old. I had no idea that plastic cups could hold a preschooler’s attention for so long! I’m going to have to get some pretty cups like yours now. Love your blog!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 27, 2011 10:38 pm

Thank you Cara — Isn’t it wonderful how some of the most simple things can be so much fun for young children!

• laral Posted September 27, 2011 10:26 pm

I would love to post this article if you would allow me to!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 27, 2011 10:38 pm

Where will you post?

• Susan Finklestein Posted September 28, 2011 7:40 am

I do this too, but not with the colored cups. They really have to learn to work together on this activity. And they learn that failure(cups dropping) can be solved. Great confidence builder.

Love your site.

• Colleen Posted September 28, 2011 10:07 am

where did you find the clear colored cups? I looked awhile back for some and couldn’t find “clear” colored cups.

• Cheryl Posted September 28, 2011 2:27 pm

So did any color discussion take place?. . . You didn’t really say. . . I wondered if they would stack 2 together and observe a color change?. . . (Particularly if placed near a sunny window.) 🙂

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 29, 2011 3:07 am

No, my original intention was to use these cups with the light table so we could discuss color but I realized that the children just needed to play with them this time. I will bring them out again later on and see if we can use them to talk about color a little more;) Great question!

• Esther Posted September 28, 2011 4:44 pm

A neat activity! My daughter loves stacking and I think she would love the colored cups. How fun! simple things can keep the kids engaged. Sometime back we had visited Tennessee children museum, They had built a gigantic sculpture using disposable cups and hot glue.

• pammypam Posted September 28, 2011 8:25 pm

on a whim i gave my older twos a bunch of dixie type cups this summer to see what they would do. who knew they would become the best toy ever? i had to keep giving them more and more cups, they couldn’t get enough!!