Our take home math bags in preschool

Our take home math bags in preschool

I found these bags at our local Dollar Tree. They were 2 for $1.oo each and I knew that they would be perfect for our take home math bags…

A math bag was sent home with each child.  We added each child’s name on their bag as well. The children take home their bags each Thursday and bring them back by the following Thursday…

Instructions were sent home to the parents as well. They are to help their child collect no more than five items each week to put in the bag. The items should be small and something that the children (or parents) will not mind donating to our school. For example: acorns, plastic lids, coke tabs, rocks, buttons, and so on….

On math day, the children will share what they brought to school (sort of like show and tell) and then they will all sort the items into baskets. All the acorns will go in one basket and so on.  We will graph the number of items each child brought, count the items, and use them for making patterns and games…

Each child can choose five different items to bring or they can be all the same. The reason for bringing five or less items is because when we combine all the items from the entire class together – it makes for a lot of graphing, sorting, and counting…

The parents get to be involved just a bit too which is always a plus for opening conversations about preschool at home! This is our first week for bringing our math bags to school so I will be sure to share more as we go along.

Books on Amazon

• Vanessa @Pre-K Pages Posted September 14, 2011 8:17 pm

I love how you incorporated math with show and tell, brilliant! I bet the children just love filling those bags and sharing with the class 🙂

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 14, 2011 8:21 pm

They keep asking me when they get to show me what they brought! They are very excited! We use this in place of show and tell in our part time preschool. It still allows a little bit of the show and tell approach to sharing and bringing things from home but lets us combine the math skills too!

• D’Lynn Smith Posted September 14, 2011 8:18 pm

I love this! I do a smiliar activity with our letter of the week, but I love the idea of adding the mathmetical component too. I’m going to have to figure out how to add this to our routine. Thanks!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 14, 2011 8:22 pm

It gives us a chance to focus on so many math skills and the children love to share things they brought from home!

• TheBargainBabe Posted September 14, 2011 8:30 pm

Very cute, I love that it gets families involved in their child’s education!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 14, 2011 8:33 pm

That is part of the fun for sure. I also like hearing stories the children tell about home as well when they share their collections!

• Sally Sims Posted September 14, 2011 8:43 pm

Great parent involvment idea.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 14, 2011 9:10 pm

Yes- a simple way to get parents involved in our learning:)

• Carla Posted September 14, 2011 9:23 pm

How fun! I really love the show and tell aspect–kids just love to be the teacher!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 14, 2011 9:30 pm

Yes they do:)

• Amanda Posted September 15, 2011 12:57 am

I really like this idea! A school that I am involved with now for an internship does not permit “share days” because of items being lost, broken, etc. so this could be a way to still have a bit of it! Thanks for the ideas!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 15, 2011 2:34 pm

Thus may work as a fun alternative for you.

• shar Posted September 15, 2011 8:10 am

Fantastic! I can think of all sorts of ways that this idea could be used. Such a fun activity that the children will remember for ev’a!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 15, 2011 2:37 pm

I look forward to seeing what else we can do with our collections!

• Heather Posted September 15, 2011 8:39 am

I know you said you would share more as you go along. But would you share a picture of your graph?! I would love to see how you are doing that.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 15, 2011 2:38 pm

Sure!

• Jen Dermody Posted September 15, 2011 6:12 pm

I really love the parent involvement piece! I’ve done similar things with sending home fine motor tasks for home. Kids LOVE taking home special bags like this and tend to be more excited about their “homework”. Thanks for sharing!

Jen

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 15, 2011 9:45 pm

You are welcome Jen:) Send home fine motor activities are an excellent idea!

• Trackback: Hurrah for Math in Preschool! | Teach Preschool
  • Trackback: Hurrah for math in preschool!