Apple tree fingerplay in preschool

Apple tree fingerplay in preschool

“Way Up High in the Apple Tree” is one of my all time old favorite finger plays. I have been using it since I started out as a preschool teacher over 20 years ago. If you don’t know this simple rhyme, let me share it with you…

Way up high in the apple tree,

Five red apples smiled at me.

I shook that tree as hard as I could,

Dooowwwwwwwn came an apple….

Mmmm, it was good!

Repeat the rhyme until all the apples are off of the tree!

I like letting the children say this rhyme first by just using our hands. We act out the rhyme by shaking our tree and making our hands go down to the ground as each apple falls down.

Then we repeat the rhyme using the flannel board. Each child takes a turn removing an apple from the tree.

Be sure to use lots of expression when sharing fingerplays and rhymes with your students. We only have one sad little apple left on that tree…

During center time, I leave the felt pieces and the flannel board out where children can give this a try on their own…

Using the flannel board with your fingerplays is a great way to teach rhymes in preschool and build a child’s memory of those rhymes. Do you have a favorite apple rhyme you like to use too? Perhaps you can teach me a new one to add to my list!

Links to grow on..

See how you can make your own flannel board here.

See a fun book to read with your apple tree rhyme here.

Available on Amazon

• Anne Posted September 6, 2011 10:33 am

If your readers are interested in flannelboards, they should check out Flannel Friday. Lots of pictures on the pinterest account: http://pinterest.com/flannelfriday/

Also got your 404 error when clicking on the make your own flannelboard link.

• andiejaye Posted September 6, 2011 11:23 am

i love this one! felt boards are one of the greatest inventions. love the bitty in the picture sitting in circle time with her lovey blankie. too precious for words 🙂 that gave me a happy heart. thanks and have a blessed day!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 6, 2011 12:27 pm

I fixed it – thanks for the heads up and the links!

• Anna @ The Imagination Tree Posted September 6, 2011 5:47 pm

Cute! I don’t know that rhyme, probably not familiar here in the UK. But it’s so sweet! It could be a great time to introduce it to my little ones, thank you! PS love using felt for play and learning!

• Brenna Posted September 6, 2011 6:42 pm

Love this fingerplay. I have an entire theme week on apples, so I’m definitely gonna remember this activity. We do Johnny Appleseed, too, and the students learn the names of different apple varieties. It’s a fun week.

• Kelly Posted September 6, 2011 7:53 pm

Love it!!! The children will think this is super!!!

• Aimee Posted September 6, 2011 8:17 pm

That is the cutest idea ever! They must of loved it.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 6, 2011 8:30 pm

They look so darling on my wall too:)

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 6, 2011 8:30 pm

Thanks Kelly! It is a very old favorite!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 6, 2011 8:33 pm

Sounds like great fun Brenna!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 6, 2011 8:41 pm

Now – you can make it familiar there too!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 6, 2011 8:44 pm

Yes – we love that blankie!

• Leeanne A Posted September 6, 2011 9:16 pm

I really should get out my flannel boards – I haven’t done that in awhile! Oh and Aimee great link!

• Leeanne A Posted September 6, 2011 9:19 pm

Woops sorry – I ment Annes link! 🙂

• kristin @preschool daze Posted September 7, 2011 6:53 am

we did this too! but funny, i’ve never done more than 2 apples on the tree (each hand turns to a fist to be the apples).

we’ll up the number now. : )

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 7, 2011 7:34 pm

Haha – I usually choose the number of apples based on the number of children in the group or based upon how long I think they will stay interested.

• Jackie Posted September 8, 2011 9:27 pm

We’ve been using this poem recently too! We made apple shakers out of paper plates and beans but I love your felt board ideas too. I just made our first felt board and it has been a big hit! Thanks for the play ideas! We’ll be trying this out.

• Trackback: Week 1: Letter A and Circles – Home-Baked Goodness