Our play dough is under construction in preschool

Our play dough is under construction in preschool

Wrapping up our first week in preschool, we continued to explore our new classroom environment and enjoy a few fun activities along the way. Today we pulled out the play dough and play dough accessories but instead of using all those fun play dough accessories, the construction workers showed up with their tools and hard hats and went to work…

They used screwdrivers to make lots of holes in their play dough…

And saws to cut the play dough into tiny pieces…

And hammers to flatten out the play dough…

They worked and worked on their play dough with those tools. Perhaps they will try the play dough accessories on another day!

Here is a fun little activity for construction. See Hammer Time from Fugal Family Fun Blog

I agree with  A Teacher at Heart that Teacher Tom has shared the best recipe for homemade playdough!

Make your playdough smell good by adding Kool Aid – see this recipe by The Chocolate Muffin Tree!

See other playdough recipes here!

• Elise Posted August 26, 2011 3:15 am

We love playing with playdough when we incorporate some of our toys and crafting supplies too!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted August 26, 2011 8:44 am

I hadn’t thought about hammering on playdough until the children started giving it a try. It was terrific fun!

• Kelly Gardner Posted August 26, 2011 6:19 am

I am noticing that you allow them to mix the playdough colors. I would like for my kids too, but it turns a yucky color & than I end up having to replace it often, which becomes expensive.
    Love the construction idea!!

• Amber Posted August 26, 2011 7:45 am

I like to allow children to mix colors also but have the same feeling about expense. I find that if I make small batches of homemade playdough in different colors it’s a little less expensive. We also take the route of mixing two primary colors together. Then perhaps mix with white dough (great fine motor to squish and pinch 2 colors together, as we all know). As the playdough is coming to the end of it’s “life” I’ll bring out the various colors and let them explore. Usually ends up with that lovely greenish brown but that’s a good lesson also!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted August 26, 2011 8:48 am

Yes – letting the children mix the playdough can cause you to go through the playdough a little more frequently but I find that the children will still play with the multi-colors for just about as long as the playdough really lasts. The play dough often dries out before the color mixing makes the playdough look all brown. I will be making batches of homemade playdough on a regular basis so the cost isn’t that much to replace the playdough.

• Amber Posted August 26, 2011 7:47 am

Love the freedom the children have to bring other tools to a different center. Construction tools with our playdough is definitely enjoyed here!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted August 26, 2011 8:50 am

I would have missed out on how fun it is to hammer and saw on playdough if I hadn’t let the children bring the tools on over! We had fun “working” on that playdough!

• Joan Posted August 26, 2011 8:02 am

Love using other items other than the usual playdough accessories! When the playdough turns that yucky brown and is ready to be tossed, we like to roll it out, make seasonal cookie cutter shapes, leave out to dry for a few days and then paint them. Apples and leaves will be our first playdough masterpieces!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted August 26, 2011 8:50 am

Super great idea Joan – I will add that idea to my to-do list!

• Paula Posted August 26, 2011 8:22 am

What is the best homemade playdough recipe?

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted August 26, 2011 8:51 am

I added some recipe’s to favorite homemade play dough up above at the end of my post to answer your question Paula. This way others can see it too!

• Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree Posted August 27, 2011 9:22 am

Thanks for sharing my kool aid play dough post!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted August 28, 2011 12:00 am

You are welcome Melissa:)

• Sarah Posted August 27, 2011 9:58 am

Thanks for sharing our homemade play dough post!! We had fun trying it out!! And surprisingly, after being stored in the fridge, it is still nice and squishy!!

Sarah@A Teacher at Heart

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted August 28, 2011 12:00 am

You are welcome Sarah:)

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted August 28, 2011 12:03 am

I love nice and squishy play dough:)

• Sheryll Posted August 27, 2011 12:32 pm

My son will LOVE this activity. He loves playdough and is currently obsessed with Bob the Builder.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted August 28, 2011 12:04 am

The kids loved using the tools – I hadn’t even thought of adding tools to the play dough until they started giving it a try!

• Jackie Posted August 27, 2011 3:18 pm

Why didn’t I think of that? Great idea. My boys will love it.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted August 28, 2011 12:05 am

I said the same thing Jackie when the kids started playing with the tools – “why didn’t I think of that?”

• Shannon Posted September 19, 2011 3:46 pm

What a great idea to put tools with the playdough. I will definitely be trying that out.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted September 19, 2011 9:37 pm

I can’t believe I never thought of this myself – it took the children to show me that tools are fun with playdough:)