A kitchen timer and a preschooler

A kitchen timer and a preschooler

Last week, I bought this little egg timer. My plan was and, still is, to add it to one of my activity boxes. I hadn’t decided what else to include with the egg timer yet so I left it sitting out on my counter…

My little friend Tristan found the egg timer on my counter and for the rest of the day, he carried it around. He used it to tell everyone what “time” it was. He would turn the dial and say, “Hurry up, it’s time to go,” and then make the bell ring. “Too late time is out” he would announce…

He used his fine motor skills to turn the dial back and forth…

He had me listen to the ticking sound and often reminded me, in his own words, how time was of the essence!

All of this play, motor development, and exploration of time was far more than any game I could have planned. So now I know what to add to the activity box – just more egg timers!

Link Party Thursdays

• Chel Posted April 29, 2011 12:39 am

I dropped by to let you know that your blog has been awarded the Versatile Blogger Award. Congrats! Follow this link to know what you need to do next.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 29, 2011 8:12 am

• jenny Posted April 29, 2011 5:00 am

Okay, so now I’m going to have to find myself some egg timers!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 29, 2011 7:53 am

Haha, I need to pick up a few more too!

• Scott Posted April 29, 2011 8:30 am

I think I need to gather a few timers, too. I’m thinking of lots of things to do with them….

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 29, 2011 11:27 pm

I can’t wait to see what you would come up with Scott – I love your rocks and scale post. I was planning a similar post too but you beat me to it:) Yours is better than I had planned so well done!

• Laura@art4littlehands Posted April 29, 2011 9:59 am

Very fun. We have an egg timer, but it isn’t something my kids love. I set the timer when they need to get something done in a certain time. I set it for a half hour and they have to clean their room. Anything left out after a half hour gets taken away. Aren’t I mean? Anyway, thanks for sharing on my link party. Your son is adorable.

• Laura@art4littlehands Posted April 29, 2011 10:05 am

just reread the post and realized that isn’t your son. He is a cute guy anyway. I looked over your blog more after reading this post and realized it is a preschool teachers blog not a mommy blog. Sorry for the confusion.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 29, 2011 11:22 pm

That’s okay – it is for anyone who works with preschoolers and I wouldn’t mind claiming Tristan as a son:) He is such a sweetie!

• Jamie @ hands on : as we grow Posted May 1, 2011 1:53 pm

I’m gonna have to let Henry have a day with my egg timer! I got it ‘for him’ but for me to use ‘with him’ — it has been a big help with picking up toys, or getting ready — but I’ve never let him have free reign with it. I’m curious to know what he’ll come up with to do.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted May 1, 2011 1:56 pm

I think that is part of the fun is just to leave it sitting down and see what they come up with. This really was an accident but once he started playing with it, I realized that he was now teaching me 🙂