Paper plate spin art without the spinner for preschoolers

Paper plate spin art without the spinner for preschoolers

This idea is a “spin-off” from my Tissue Box idea posted yesterday…

Any time I start creating something, I can’t just stop. This is kind of how we want preschoolers to feel too. We want to provide ideas and materials then let them use their own creativity to discover the possibilities…

I used fingerpaints from Walmart for this simply because it was so easy to squirt the paint in little spots around my paper plate.  Choose any paint you have on hand and have the child put dabs or lines of paint colors on the paper plate.

Next, invite the child to flip the paper plate over on a large sheet of paper. Then press down firmly with one hand and “spin” or turn the paper plate while pressing down…

I hate using my own hands for these post – it shows how badly I need to get my nails done:)  But I digress.. When you are done giving the paper plate a few turns then lift the paper plate off the paper…

And there you have your very own spin art! Move the paper plate over a bit and then try it again as many times as you like…

You actually end up with two pieces of artwork at the same time – the paper plate is just as beautiful as the paper! You can let the child keep one and display the other…

I just bought my own Salad Spinner to try a little spin painting that way but you can go ahead and check out these Spin Art activities here…

Spin, Spin, Spin from The Artful Parent

Spin Art Easter Eggs from The Chocolate Muffin Tree

What Can we Spin? from Tinkerlab

Giant Spin Art from Craftzine

Salad Spinner Art from Pepper Paints

Salad Spinner Flowers from Irresistible Ideas for Play Based Learning

Look who tried this too! No Spin Spin Art from Habeebee Homeschool

Available on Amazon

• Maureen Posted April 18, 2011 8:25 pm

So simple, so beautiful – love it.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 18, 2011 10:42 pm

Thank you Maureen – I really love it too!

• Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree Posted April 18, 2011 8:47 pm

Thanks for featuring me here! This is Awesome!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 18, 2011 10:41 pm

You are welcome:)

• Lian Posted April 18, 2011 8:56 pm

Oh, I like this art idea. Simple and beautiful. I am going to get my little boy to do it today. Thanks and looking forward to that book you’re putting together.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 18, 2011 10:40 pm

I love that your little one will give this a try – I hope he loves it:)

• Ameera Posted April 18, 2011 10:45 pm

Awesome, so yeah I will be doing this tomorrow..I have the same paint and paper plates LOL (joking but I do have paper plates) I like this, its simple, fun, and creative. My boys will love it

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 19, 2011 6:58 am

You are half way there with the paper plates!!

• Nic Hahn Posted April 19, 2011 8:35 pm

Great project here, thanks for sharing. Please see my site, I would like to award you the Versatile Blogger Award…

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 19, 2011 8:54 pm

Thank you so much! What a nice surprise:)

• TG Posted April 20, 2011 6:56 am

Wow. This is really great. You knwo the best part about your art and craft are the steps. You have no idea how useful this is for workign with kids who are visual learners (for instance kids on the autism spectrum). I just want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for doing this !! I even got a salad spinner to do the spin art 🙂

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 20, 2011 10:50 am

Yay – You will probably get to use your salad spinner before I do!! I can’t wait to give it a try. I love the steps too – it helps us think more about what the children will get to do as a part of the process! If they don’t get to do anything than it isn’t any fun:)

• Gianne Posted April 20, 2011 12:49 pm

You jut keep pumping out the awesome ideas!!! We did the color mixing fun last night! http://www.cowsgomooandducksgoquack.blogspot.com WHAT FUN!!!
    Thansk again,
    Gianne

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 20, 2011 11:45 pm

Awesome:)

• Scott Posted April 20, 2011 4:35 pm

Another great idea! So easy and yet creating a wonderful result. Thanks, Deborah.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 20, 2011 11:44 pm

Thank you Scott!

• Laura@art4littlehands Posted April 29, 2011 10:01 am

Awesome! I just bought a salad spinner for art yesterday! If you have an Ikea close they are super cheep. I like this idea a bit better. Easy and fast! Thanks for sharing at my link party. I am now a follower on your blog.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 29, 2011 11:25 pm

I am following your blog too! I love it! I haven’t used my salad spinner yet but it is on my to do list.

• Laura@art4littlehands Posted May 5, 2011 8:12 am

Yeah, I see that you already got the featured button! I loved this post and put it up today as a feature.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted May 5, 2011 8:24 pm