Tissue box challenge: making simple squares in preschool

Tissue box challenge: making simple squares in preschool

I just love a challenge because it makes me think “outside of the box” – yes pun intended…

JDaniel4’s Mom and The Activity Mom are hosting this fun little challenge as a creative way to recognize earth week. The challenge is to make something out of a tissue box! I really am not all that creative but I do love to paint so I decided to do a little tissue box painting…

I simply started off with a tissue box (I had two empty ones just for fun) and some finger paint that I picked up from Walmart but I am sure any kind of paint will do. Then I squirted several colors of the paint on the paper plate…

Next, I pressed the bottom of the tissue box in the paint…

And started making tissue box prints (squares) on my paper…

I got carried away with the prints and used the side of the tissue box for rectangles too…

This was really fun and I ended up making three different papers of tissue box prints by the time I decided it was time to stop…

So don’t throw away that tissue box and be sure to check out all the other creative ideas you can do with tissue boxes by clicking on the box below!

• Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree Posted April 17, 2011 6:27 pm

Those are awesome!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 17, 2011 6:29 pm

Don’t you just love it? Simple and fun too:)

• JDaniel4’s Mom Posted April 17, 2011 7:31 pm

What a great idea! The boxes made great patterns in the paint.

• The Activity Mom Posted April 17, 2011 7:59 pm

So creative! That turned out great. I like the way you put the colors on the plate so that they were mixed on the print. We will have to try this for sure!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 17, 2011 9:53 pm

I really love lots of bright colors! If you try this and blog about it – be sure to let me know!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 17, 2011 9:53 pm

Yes, I was surprised to see all the patterns from the box!

• Lisa @ Two Bears Farm Posted April 18, 2011 6:44 am

Lovely painting! What an easy way to make big squares.

• Tara Sumner Posted April 18, 2011 8:50 am

I cut up an alien tissue box, and made cards for my seven students. They turned out really cute, and the kids thought it was cool to see the tissue box cut up!

• Nadia Posted April 18, 2011 12:22 pm

I love how you have taken something that would normally be thrown out and turned it into art material. I think the pattern that it adds is gorgeous! I don’t have small square tissue boxes i have those big rectangular ones… (oooh the possibilities…hehe)

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 18, 2011 7:28 pm

You will come up with something outstanding with those big boxes:) Let me know if you post an idea!!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 18, 2011 7:29 pm

Oh that is a super cute idea! My tissue box was not all that cute to begin with – I am going to have to start shopping for tissue based on how cute that box is! LOL!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 18, 2011 7:30 pm

I love “Large” art:)

• Scott Posted April 18, 2011 7:36 pm

So it IS true…you can paint with anything! This is a really fun idea, Deborah. Thanks for sharing it.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 18, 2011 10:41 pm

I hope you give this a try Scott and blog about it too!!

• home schooling reading Posted April 19, 2011 6:02 am

Very colorful and creative work, kids really enjoy doing the art which make them messed up at the end in doing something else. This is what we really want from our kids, their thoughts should flow in paper, no matter what ever it is. Thanks for sharing this beautiful thing.

• Liz Burton Posted April 19, 2011 3:35 pm

Giant stampers – how fun :0)

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 19, 2011 8:54 pm

Haha – yes they are!

• Kelly, Little Wonders’ Days Posted April 19, 2011 9:49 pm

I love these prints! I have to put this activity on our must try list.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 20, 2011 10:50 am

Put it at the very top of the list:) And let me know how it went especially if you blog about it – I want to see!!

• Sarah Posted April 20, 2011 8:10 pm

I just thought – what a great activity to do to reinforce those shapes and the difference between square and rectangle. Thanks for the great idea!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 20, 2011 11:44 pm

You are welcome Sarah:) It is a simple way to reinforce these shapes!

• Esther Posted April 22, 2011 9:44 am

What a great idea! My daughter loves painting and she would be very happy to try this! Easy way of stamping squares!

• Trackback: Tissue Box Challenge Winners! - JDaniel4s Mom