On becoming a grandma for the very first time

On becoming a grandma for the very first time

Becoming a grandma is an experience that only after becoming a grandma can you begin to appreciate. Bright and early this morning, my daughter had our first grand baby – a bouncing baby boy….

We arrived at the hospital at 1:00 in the morning and by 8:00 in the morning he was here! He is so sweet and beautiful…

As he was being bathed, fed, changed, swaddled, held, kissed, and talked to, all I could think of is that every single thing that he is experiencing was for the very first time….

So much of what we do with infants, toddlers, and even preschool age children is an experience they are exploring for the very first time…

I want to share in as much of my grandson’s very first time experiences as I can…

And when I am working with young children in the classroom, I want to bring my “grandmotherly” perspective with me and remember that the children I teach are exploring and learning about their world. And often times, what I do with these children may be something they are experiencing for the very first time…

• Ariana Hall Posted April 15, 2011 10:39 pm

Congratulations, Grandma! I’m so grateful my mom was in the room when my daughter, her first grandbaby, was born. SO very special. And congrats to your daughter, as well! Yay for first times, both for babies, moms and grandmas!

• Holly Davis Posted April 15, 2011 10:40 pm

Congratulations! He is adorable!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 15, 2011 10:43 pm

Thank you Ariana – I did get to be in the room during the birth of the baby. It was the greatest gift my daughter could ever share with me:)

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 15, 2011 10:43 pm

Thank you Holly!

• D’Lynn Smith Posted April 15, 2011 10:47 pm

Deborah,
    My granddaughter is two years old now and I understand completely how you’re feeling. I had heard the “wonderful” experiences of being a grandma but did not comprehend the complete and overwhelming emotion of it all until she arrived. I tell people, “I was really a grinch until the moment she was in my arms because my heart grew ten sizes at that moment.” I revel in every new discovery and love knowing what is going on in her devleopment. Parenting is great but grandparenting is discovering the world again right along with our grandchildren. It is sharing in their wonderment and excitement and truly appreciating the beauty of life. Congratulations to you and your family!

• Aleacia@Dilly-Dali Art Posted April 15, 2011 10:54 pm

Congratulations, he’s absolutely beautiful. He’s lucky to have such an awesome grandma full of ideas!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 15, 2011 10:56 pm

I am so excited to read this! “Parenting is great but grandparenting is discovering the world again right along with our grandchildren.” It is exactly as you say – and I can’t wait to see what else is in store. As I was watching the kids care for their new baby today, I can see why grandparents have such a unique perspective. While they were busy worrying over all the details of caring for their baby (and doing a beautiful job at it) I was able to sit back and just soak it all in!

• dana Posted April 15, 2011 10:58 pm

congrats on becoming a grandma for the very first time. he’s a beautiful baby! 🙂

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 15, 2011 10:58 pm

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 15, 2011 10:59 pm

He’s already got me thinking of ideas we can do! LOL!

• Cindy Lawson Posted April 15, 2011 10:59 pm

Congratulations on becoming a grandma!! Being a grandparent is such an awesome experience. I can’t wait until this summer when I get to keep my grandkids for a week. We will do all kinds of messy activities like the ones you put on Facebook.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 15, 2011 11:00 pm

Ah – A grandma that loves messy is the best!

• Julia Posted April 15, 2011 11:06 pm

Congratulations to you all….he is beautiful. I was several states away when my “perfect” grandson was born and did not get to meet him until he was about a month old. Fortunately two years ago I was in the room when my “beautiful” granddaughter was born and was able to witness her first bath, dressing, etc. It is just AMAZING how much love you can have for someone so new to our world. Welcome to the GRANDMA CLUB <3

• Christie-Childhood 101 Posted April 15, 2011 11:10 pm

He is beautiful. Congratulations to you, Grandma, and to all of his family as you create many happy memories together x

• Debbie Posted April 15, 2011 11:11 pm

From one Grandma to another one….it is the best!! I enjoyed watching the birth of Selena, and I truly enjoy being a Grandma. Congrats!

• Stacy @ {share&remember.blogspot.com} Posted April 15, 2011 11:11 pm

Congratulations to you & your family!

• Maya Posted April 15, 2011 11:14 pm

Deb –
    COngratulations!!!!!!!
    So happy for you 🙂
    Enjoy this precious experience and thank you for sharing pics !

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 15, 2011 11:17 pm

I am so excited to be in the grandma club! I didn’t realize what a privilege it is! Yay that you got to see the birth of your grand daughter – what an amazing experience!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 15, 2011 11:18 pm

Thank you Christie!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 15, 2011 11:18 pm

From one “Debbie” to another – thank you so much:)

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 15, 2011 11:19 pm

I couldn’t help myself – I had to share the photos:)

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 15, 2011 11:30 pm

• Dawn J Posted April 15, 2011 11:42 pm

I am not a grandma but you are making me cry! Your love for him and your daughter are felt in your words above! Congrats!

• Ms. Jessi Posted April 15, 2011 11:54 pm

What a blessing he is! My parents and my husbands parents are also first time grandparents and they had to wait a loooonnnngggg time! 🙂 I’m so happy for you and for your daughter that she has someone as amazing as you to help her along the way. 🙂 Have fun and do what my babies grandparents have been doing for the past 5 months…spoil, spoil, spoil!

• Wendy Young, LMSW, BCD Posted April 16, 2011 12:17 am

Deborah,

…and at 8 in the morning, a brand new grandma was born! How incredible and wonderful and new for all of you! It’s quite amazing, isn’t it? It’s hard to imagine anything being more wonderful than becoming a mom, but it sounds like the adventure starts anew when one becomes a grandma! Enjoy that precious, beautiful bundle. What a lucky baby boy!

Wendy

• Mimi Posted April 16, 2011 12:38 am

Oh, Deborah! I have tears in my eyes as I read of this wondrous experience. Such a beautiful baby boy. Life as you knew it will never be again, and you will be soooo happy for that! Congratulations on this amazing blessing!

” Children’s children are the crown of old men,
    And the glory of children is their father. ” Proverbs 17:6

” Just make sure you stay alert. Keep close watch over yourselves. Don’t forget anything of what you’ve seen. Don’t let your heart wander off. Stay vigilant as long as you live. Teach what you’ve seen and heard to your children and grandchildren. ” Deut. 4:9

• Rachelle @ tinkerlab Posted April 16, 2011 2:39 am

Congratulations Deborah!! Your grandson is absolutely beautiful. Birth really is a miracle, and an amazing thing to witness and be a part of. I’m just thrilled for you. xo

• Kelly, Little Wonders’ Days Posted April 16, 2011 7:22 am

Congratulations! He’s beautiful. Have a wonderful time with him.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 16, 2011 8:09 am

Don’t cry or you will make me cry! 🙂

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 16, 2011 8:11 am

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 16, 2011 8:13 am

Hahaha – you have already given them 5 months of joy!! I love it and I will definitely spoil:)

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 16, 2011 8:14 am

And at 8 in the morning a brand new grandpa was born too – we are both enjoying so excited and are looking forward to the new adventure:)

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 16, 2011 8:16 am

Those are both such beautiful verses – thank you for sharing that with me Mimi! I will share them with my daughter too…

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 16, 2011 8:17 am

• Rose Posted April 16, 2011 8:23 am

Congratulations! You’re grandson is beautiful and your life will be fuller than you could ever imagine with him in it. I have one grandchild whom will be 3 in June and I can’t begin to tell you how your heart continually expands with love. Enjoy your grandPRIZE!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 16, 2011 8:27 am

Thank you Rose.. I am amazed at how life just starts all over for you and I never understood this before now:)

• Alison Posted April 16, 2011 11:08 am

How wonderful!!! It actually reminded of me of becoming a mother for the first time … amazing!!

Enjoy your Grandson, both you and he are very blessed to have one another.

• Lynette Posted April 16, 2011 12:46 pm

Congratulations on your beautiful grandbaby! What a blessing! Enjoy him! I will be a grandma, for the first time in July and then another one due in August. I can’t wait!
    Congratulations again, he is beautiful.

Lynette

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 16, 2011 1:19 pm

Yay Lynette!! Congratulations to you too!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 16, 2011 1:19 pm

• cathy@nurturestore Posted April 16, 2011 6:43 pm

How wonderfully exciting for you! Congratulations and very best wishes to you and your family.

• Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree Posted April 16, 2011 7:36 pm

Congratulations! What a young Grandma!

• Bette Posted April 16, 2011 8:15 pm

He is beautiful! Being a grandmother 5 times I know how you feel. There is nothing like it. Each time brings you so much joy. I am lucky to be able to spend all my time with 4 of them and have seen many firsts. Many more to come.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 16, 2011 9:55 pm

Haha – not so young:)

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 16, 2011 9:55 pm

I am hoping for more too!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 16, 2011 9:56 pm

• Deb @ Living Montessori Now Posted April 16, 2011 9:59 pm

Congratulations!!! What wonderful news! Your grandson is so precious – and how great that you have so many adorable photos already! I can imagine your grandson already has you thinking of lots of ideas for activities – we’ll enjoy reading about them! Have fun! 🙂

• Gloria Posted April 16, 2011 11:17 pm

Congratulations theres nothing like it in the world. Get ready to have fun fun fun!

• Kimira Posted April 17, 2011 5:50 am

Congratulations 🙂

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 17, 2011 9:52 am

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 17, 2011 9:52 am

I am ready!! Already thinking of all those little hand and footprints I want to make! LOL!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 17, 2011 9:53 am

We were on camera overload! My job was to take pictures and I made sure I took LOTs!

• Theresa Milstein Posted April 17, 2011 10:05 am

He’s beautiful! Congratulations.

• Denise Posted April 17, 2011 11:36 am

Congratulations! I will become a grandma for the first time in August! Thank you for your sweet post!

• Alona Posted April 17, 2011 11:47 am

Congratulations!!!
    A gift from above, may your heart always feel the love.
    They say that, ‘Grandmothers sprinkle stardust over children’s lives.’
    I wish you and your family a healthy and happy life!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 17, 2011 11:54 am

Thank you so much Alona – I am stocking up on that stardust now:)

• Bev Posted April 17, 2011 2:01 pm

Congratulations! What a lucky little guy to be blessed with such an awesome grandma!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 17, 2011 4:04 pm

• Jackie Posted April 18, 2011 2:49 pm

Congratulations on your beautiful grandson! What a blessing!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 18, 2011 7:28 pm

• Centers and Circle Time Posted April 24, 2011 8:01 am

There is nothing in this world like being a Mommy, I gasp at the idea of what it must be like to be a Grandma! That’s like Mommy to the 2nd power:) I love you and I know you’re going to be a terrific grandma! Thank your daughter for sharing her very special day with all of us.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 24, 2011 9:42 am

I am still in awe Myra – I love you too! I will pass along your message to my daughter!