In the Mailbox: butterfly jar

In the Mailbox: butterfly jar

Last week I ordered this butterfly jar and it came in the mail today!

I found this little gem from Surviving a Teacher’s Salary and for some crazy reason, I bought it!

I plan to take it to preschool for my very own show and tell. The butterfly isn’t real but it looks almost real. It flitters around in the jar when you tap on the lid or when the lid gets some extra vibration. Here is a little video I took of the butterfly in the jar…

I wont be able to leave the jar out for the children to freely play with for several reasons..

• The jar is real glass
  • The lid can be removed and if it gets removed, it will likely break the wire that is used to make the butterfly move
  • I really love this silly thing and want it to keep working

So I will just save is as a great way to introduce butterflies or when we talk about starting our own collections…

Be sure to check out the butterfly sensory bags in case you missed it!

• Sandie Lloyd Posted April 6, 2011 7:03 am

Very cool! This will be a great to go along with the real butterflies we study in the room. Thank you for sharing!

• Kristi @ Creative Connections for Kids Posted April 6, 2011 8:18 am

This is very cool! Thanks so much. 🙂

• Kristi @ Creative Connections for Kids Posted April 6, 2011 8:35 am

Also…thanks for featuring my Super Spider. I haven’t been blogging and wondered why I had a bounce in traffic…now I know!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 6, 2011 8:55 am

You are welcome!

• Crystal Posted April 6, 2011 11:38 am

I’m so glad you love it! I saw it in a store somewhere too just recently and thought how COOL!! I’m just afraid my overambitious preschooler will find it and break it! :)~

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 6, 2011 11:49 am

They are fragile for sure!

• TShapiro Posted April 6, 2011 2:46 pm

These are available with lightweight plastic jars instead of glass at Toys R Us in the science section.

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 6, 2011 6:40 pm

I will have to take a look next time I go to a Toys R Us! Thanks for the tip!

• mama roses Posted August 1, 2011 9:31 am

I have to confess the butterfly and its movements look so real. We did a real case of metamorphosis this spring and that is exactly how the butterfly moved in the jar. Next spring, I am on! I will pick this up if we do not pick real caterpillars :)!