My busy book: Crayons

My busy book: Crayons

If you are planning a road trip or just need to keep a preschooler busy – try making a Busy Book!

This busy book is My Crayon Busy Book

To make the Crayon Busy Book you will need 3-ring binder, some crayons, some paper, and sticky-back velcro. I used the velcro to attach the crayons to the inside cover of the 3-ring binder. This makes it easier to keep track of crayons so they don’t get lost.

I added large unlined index cards to the three ring binder to color on but you could add any kind of paper you like. I chose index cards because they are a little more sturdy for coloring on.

So far I have made six different busy books (which I have briefly demonstrated in this news segment) so I can rotate them. I find that if I put all the activities in one book then the child goes through all the activities quickly and is asking for something else to do. By making a set of busy books, I can design each book to be unique and then rotate the books as needed.

I have chosen to use a small 3-ring binder so I can toss the binder in a bag and so a preschooler can hold it more easily in his or her lap if needed (like in a car). Stay tuned for my next Busy Book post – My Sewing Busy Book.

To learn the basics of how to make a busy book – click here!

• shar Posted March 18, 2011 2:44 am

Such fun! I want one for myself!

• Scott Posted March 18, 2011 6:56 am

Love the busy books. I love the “self contained” nature of them.

• Joan Posted March 18, 2011 7:18 am

Wow! I love this idea for next year. I am going to purchase one for each of the seven children in my class and buy all the supplies at those great back-to school sales. I have also used inexpensive composition books and dated each page. – Good to use as a child’s portfolio at parent conferences.

Deborah, I can’t wait to begin my school day with one of your super ideas. Could I come work at your preschool? LOL!

• Michelle G Posted March 18, 2011 9:55 am

Deborah,
    These are such cool ideas! Do they sell paper in the size of the notebook? I have a couple but always cut the paper to fit and I would prefer a neat look, lol…I know, its for preschoolers but, hey, that’s me lol!
    Michelle

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted March 18, 2011 10:42 pm

I know what you man Michelle – I tend to like everything orderly too:) I do think they sell paper in the size of the notebooks but I just used the index cards so I am not for sure..

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted March 18, 2011 10:43 pm

Hi Joan,
    You have some lucky kids!! I would be honored to work with you:)

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted March 18, 2011 10:44 pm

I like that too and I love the creativity of designing them. More fun for me:)

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted March 18, 2011 10:44 pm

Haha! Spoil yourself!

• Brandy Posted March 19, 2011 1:42 pm

That is fantastic! Just last night we couldn’t find the crayons in the car! Going to copy this one for sure!

• KM Posted March 19, 2011 8:02 pm

Sensational!!!!!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted March 20, 2011 9:03 am

🙂

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted March 20, 2011 9:05 am

Oh no – loose crayons in the car is trouble!

• Jackie Posted March 20, 2011 10:03 pm

This is great. I’ve seen the crayon “holders” that are made out of fabric with an individual pocket for each crayon but I’ve never gotten around to sewing one and I honestly don’t think my two year old could put the crayons back without help. But this idea looks MUCH easier and I think he could return the crayons to the front. Thanks!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted March 20, 2011 10:38 pm

All he has to do is stick it on:) It is actually harder to take off then put it on depending on the kind of velcro you end up using!

• maryanne Posted March 22, 2011 5:07 pm

The velcro to keep the crayons in place is brilliant!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted March 22, 2011 7:37 pm

Thank you Maryanne. I found that the velcro wanted to pull off the binder at first but after a day or two the stickiness set a little more permanently…

• Jen Posted April 23, 2011 11:06 pm

I would consider a pencil case with the rings to attach it to the binder rather than velcro time consuming and will probably lose its velcro if not buy the childen peeling it off than in time. love the books concept thow!

• Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. Posted April 23, 2011 11:41 pm

The velcro is a good brand that doesn’t peel off so easily from the plastic but it may just do that in time:) I like the child being able to see the crayons laid out in one place so adult and child can easily know if the crayons are all back in place. This helps keep track of crayons in a car but I also think having the crayons out and visible helps the child develop organization skills visually and physically.