R is for rice in preschool

R is for rice in preschool

The children were exploring the letter “R” by gluing rice on the red letter…

By gluing on the rice, the children are able to draw the connection of the sound of the letter “R” to something familiar, something they will remember, and something they can feel…

The “R” shape was precut for the children so they could focus on the gluing experience and the texture experience…

Rice is such a fun medium to explore…

See how to make colorful rice here!

• shar Posted February 17, 2011 4:43 am

Loved the colored rice too. I am going to make shakers with the children soon and I usually use rice to fill some. Coloured rice in clear plastic ‘shaker’ bottles would be great!

• Little Wonders’ Days Posted February 17, 2011 7:01 am

Great idea! We should try this one and do your colored rice recipe. I noticed you used capital letters. I’d love to hear your thoughts on introducing lower and capital letters.

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted February 17, 2011 8:40 am

I think you want to introduce both the capital and lower case letters to young children. You can do that through a variety of ways from making sure you print children’s name in upper and lower case to providing a print rich environment. This activity is just one of many we use to introduce letters whether it be in the capital form or lower case form. Does this answer your question?

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted February 17, 2011 8:41 am

Yes – shaker bottles is a terrific idea!

• Amy A Posted February 17, 2011 10:17 pm

We just made the rice shakers with the colored rice… Still working on what to use inside to make them more like rain sticks. They turned out great with the colors though! http://childcentralstation.blogspot.com/2011/02/what-would-you-do-with-it-wednesday_16.html

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted February 18, 2011 12:37 am

That’s awesome! Perhaps some beans would work well!

• KM Posted February 19, 2011 4:57 pm

I really would love to find the time to make some VIBRANT colorful rice!! I think I might like to play with it as much as the kids!

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted February 19, 2011 8:53 pm

I love all the colors you can make – I hope you can find the time!

• Little Wonders’ Days Posted February 20, 2011 10:07 am

Yes, thanks Deborah. I’ve used mostly lower case, but will make more of an effort to bring in upper case letters. You’ve given some great examples to do that.

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted February 20, 2011 11:35 pm