O is for Octopus in preschool

O is for Octopus in preschool

A drawback to being an administrator in a preschool program is that often times I have to actually “administrate” and when I do, it pulls me away from the classroom. So when this happens, I often only get to see what the children made after they are finished rather than while they are in the process. I still thought I would show you some of the terrific things our preschoolers made during our letter “O” week…

The children made Cheerio octopuses which you can read how to make at Little Learner’s Lounge!

This class made these adorable toilet paper roll Octopuses which you can read how to make at Crafts N Things!

The teacher told me that if you have the children cut the legs before you paint that as the paint dries, the legs will curl up naturally which makes each octopus a little more unique…

Unfortunately, what I can’t show you is some of the play the children enjoyed liked our Cheerios sensory tub! Perhaps they will still have it out tomorrow – I will try to go back into the classroom and take a peek.

Available on Amazon

• Kristina Posted January 28, 2011 10:12 pm

Love this! Especially the cheerios!

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted January 28, 2011 10:21 pm

Thank you Kristina!

• sophie {red dust love} Posted January 29, 2011 2:33 am

I love the cheerios on the octopus! A great morning tea activity!

• A Treble Maker Posted January 29, 2011 9:11 am

I was surfing the web and found your page while my 4 year old was looking on and she just went NUTS for your Cheerios Octopuses! She ran for the pantry, grabbed the Cheerios box and begged me to make it with her. Which is awesome, because I’ve been trying to get her to be excited about using them for counting games and so far, no luck. Thanks for inspiring us 🙂

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted January 29, 2011 9:15 am

How fun to hear that – she definitely knows how to keep learning fun!

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted January 29, 2011 9:17 am

LOL! Yes it is!

• Joan Banker Posted January 29, 2011 9:49 am

Love all these ideas! Can’t wait to do these during our ocean unit! We do our letter “O” during the Fall and make our own owl babies after reading that wonderful book!

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted January 29, 2011 10:33 am

We made some Owls and read that book too! I love it!

• Amy M Posted January 29, 2011 1:33 pm

Such neat “O” Ideas. 🙂

I am not sure others would be but I would be interested in learning how you plan the teacher meetings. I am still an ECE major and I hope to own or direct a center one day. I get very excited at the idea of planning teacher meetings that are fun and informative. 🙂 So to me it would be super neat to read about if you have a chance. 🙂

• Debbie Miller Posted January 29, 2011 8:07 pm

We just completed “O” week in class last week with our 4 year olds. We did a study of the ocean and the children were totally fascinated. We painted a large white piece of paper blue and let the children create their “ocean”. We left out a lot of books with pictures of the ocean. Then the children each told us a fact that they learned about the ocean which we wrote on a cut out fish and added to our ocean. It looks great hanging in the hall of our school!

• Kerri Posted January 30, 2011 8:18 pm

My little one would love these crafts! Thanks for sharing! Kerri

• Little Wonders’ Days Posted January 30, 2011 11:03 pm

I love the cheerio octopus, very cute.

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted January 31, 2011 10:36 pm

I love it too!

• Carla Posted February 7, 2011 2:32 pm

Hi Deborah,

When we make the toilet roll octopus, we use those little white reinforcements (the kind you use to repair a ripped hole in loose-leaf paper) for the suction cups….cute addition and great fine motor skill practice (removing and placing them down).

You have a wonderful website!