Hot cocoa activity box for preschool

Hot cocoa activity box for preschool

I posted before on activity boxes we use in preschool and this week, for a little dramatic play and fine motor fun, our curriculum coordinator put together a cute little hot cocoa box…

Inside the box is a baggy filled with scrunched up construction paper pieces for the hot cocoa mix. Some cotton balls for the marshmallows. Spoons and cups and “Hot Cocoa” counting cards.

The idea is for the children to make their own cup of pretend hot cocoa. First, they spoon some hot cocoa mix into the cup…

Then they add a marshmallow on top…

Click here for cards

Or two., or three, or four…

The children made some hot cocoa paintings as well this week. They used real marshmallows and dipped them into white paint then made prints on brown construction paper.

Of course, we need to try making some real hot cocoa at the end of the week too!  If you want to see some other hot cocoa ideas, check out these links below!

Foxy Toy Box: Winter Hot Cocoa

My Hot Cocoa Song on Little Fingers that Play: Hot Cocoa

Preschool Playbook: The Hot Chocolate Shop

“How do you Like Your Hot Chocolate?” graph is cute by First Grader…at Last!

And these Hot Cocoa cards were made by Melissa Brubaker of Around the Sun Montessori Preschool and go perfectly with the “Hot Cocoa” song above!

The children also glued some Marshmallows on their letter M!

• Lisa’s Play Palace Posted January 5, 2011 8:21 am

LOVE these cute ideas….
    are the templates to print the mugs of cocoa on the website here?

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted January 5, 2011 8:34 am

Click on the picture that says “Click here for Cards.” I went back and added them for everyone:)

• elizabeth Posted January 5, 2011 6:21 pm

Such cute ideas! 🙂 Love them!

• Kerri Posted January 5, 2011 8:11 pm

I love the cocoa idea!! Thanks so much for adding the cards too! Kerri

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted January 5, 2011 10:30 pm

You’re welcome Kerri!

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted January 5, 2011 10:31 pm

Thanks for stopping by Elizabeth! I love all things hot cocoa:)

• Suz Flee Posted January 6, 2011 9:27 am

Thanks for adding the cards. I just gave my 3’s brown paper and had them do the tearing – so many of them have a hard time with tearing but when I told them they had to tear before they put in the marshmallow, they showed a lot of persistence!

• Suz Flee Posted January 6, 2011 9:30 am

I also like the one-to-one correspondence of the next set of cards but when I went to the Montessori page I couldn’t find a way to get to them?

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted January 6, 2011 10:31 am

I think she may just be offering them as examples rather than downloads:)

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted January 6, 2011 10:32 am

LOL – a little treat along the way can always produce a little more effort.

• Deb Chitwood @ Living Montessori Now Posted January 8, 2011 4:53 pm

What fun activities! Thanks for the great links as well – I especially love the Montessori-inspired idea by Melissa Brubaker. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted January 9, 2011 12:38 pm

Thanks for Stopping by Deb – I love that one too!

• Darcey Posted January 9, 2011 9:01 pm

Deborah, this is a great idea. It’s a creative activity box and I love hot coco as a theme. I didn’t know there were this many hot coco activities. Great post andI’ve included it on my weekly favorites here: http://play2grow.blogspot.com/2011/01/weekly-favorites-for-january-9-2011.html

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted January 9, 2011 9:10 pm

Thank you for including a link to the hot cocoa post on your blog Darcey! I tweeted your post too earlier this evening!!

• Trackback: Hot Chocolate Sensory Activities - Fantastic Fun & Learning