Fine Art in preschool and kindergarden

Fine Art in preschool and kindergarden

We have a wonderful kindergarten teacher that allows me to come in and observe her children in action any time I am available. Over several weeks, this classroom has been working on a collection of their own fine art modeled after many famous artists.

They each made their own art portfolio to keep their collection of fine art in as they studied the style of each artist.

With each artist they studied, the children kept a short log of information.

The portfolios included a folder to place their own work they modeled after each artist. Here are some of the finished pieces of their fine art!

Henri Matisse

Claude Monet

Georgia O’Keeffe

Pablo Picasso

Vincent Van Gogh

Georges Seurat

Books on Amazon

Links to Grow on

Be sure to check out this fine collection of preschool fine art by No Time for Flashcards!

• Teacher Tom Posted August 6, 2010 10:29 am

My daughter was lucky enough to have a similar experience in kindergarden. In the long run, the best part is that she came away knowing great artists by name and style, which makes going to art museums WAY more fun. She’ll still say things like, “I remember making my own Mondrian painting,” while looking at a real one!

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted August 6, 2010 7:50 pm

And as the artist you are – I am sure this is music to your ears (or art to your ears:)

• Stacie Posted August 7, 2010 11:00 pm

We’ve been doing our study of artists on “Masterpiece Monday!” You’ve probably seen them, but here is a link – http://www.amazingmess.com/search/label/Masterpiece%20Monday. Just like Tom said — it is so much fun when my daughter identifies an artist’s piece! I love it!

I’ll have to make a portfolio! Great ideas!

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted August 7, 2010 11:19 pm

Oh my gosh – I haven’t seen them! They are wonderful and I will share on facebook (On Monday)! Thanks for sharing with me:)

• butterfly wishes and wonderland dreams Posted August 9, 2010 6:19 pm

wow AWESOME!!! I’m going to do something like that for my little Prek’r this year for mommy school!

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted August 9, 2010 7:53 pm

Awesome – you can really do some great things with one-on-one participation!!