At play with baby: musical instruments

At play with baby: musical instruments

When baby Clara kicks the tambourine it goes “jingle, jingle!”

When baby Clara kicks the maraca it goes “shake, shake!”

The rhythm sticks go “tap, tap, tap!”

“Jingle, jingle, shake, shake, tap, tap, tap!”

I wander if Clara can go clap, clap, clap?

See why reading to your baby is so important from Room to Grow: Making Early Childhood Count.

Leave me a comment and I will respond right here:)

• Teacher Tom Posted July 29, 2010 8:36 am

I don’t read as many blogs every day as you, Deborah, but I read a lot and sometimes when I see the word “baby” in the title I skip over it since I don’t have any babies in my life, but I’m soooo glad I read this! The whole concept of a setting up some drums (and other instruments) that are designed to be kicked while lying on your back is exciting to me. I’m now thinking of how I could build something that could take kicking from a 4-year-old!

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted July 29, 2010 9:08 am

You are always thinking of how an idea will work for you – that is what I love about you Tom!!

• Leeanne A Posted July 29, 2010 9:23 am

Hey Tom I was thinking about this too! When I taught at a Karate centre – we had a cultural childrens program – we had a tiko drum group that practiced there – their drums were made out of old rain barrels – and the sticks they used simply looked like large 2 inch dowels. I bet with your skills you could do the same – or something similar and they can definitely be laid down to be kicked – or put in many different positions!

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted July 29, 2010 9:26 am

You are going to get Tom thinking now Leeanne:)

• erin Posted July 29, 2010 9:49 am

I love your infant activities! The images are sooo sweet they make me melt to see them 🙂

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted July 29, 2010 9:51 am

Thank you Erin:) Clara is a sweet baby to take photos of!

• Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog Posted July 29, 2010 6:06 pm

Love this post! Music is so much fun for kids of all ages. 🙂

• Ms.Jessi Posted July 30, 2010 2:08 pm

I’m the with Tom, I usually skip baby titled posts…but, now that I’m expecting I’m bookmarking your cute infant activities so when my son comes around, I can do these activities with him. 🙂

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted July 30, 2010 3:43 pm

LOL – I have always skipped over them too but now that I have a toddler nephew and an infant niece, I am paying attention… And congratulations on the new baby to come! How exciting:)

• Jessica Posted August 3, 2010 11:01 am

Hi Deborah,
    I love your blog! I am doing a teacher training, and was wondering if I could use some of your lesson plans (with credit of course) as examples during our training on age-appropriate and engaging lessons/activities. Would you mind emailing to let me know if that’s alright? jhawley{at}ywcagreenville.org

Thank you!
    Jessica

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted August 3, 2010 1:37 pm

I have sent you an email:)