Natures color wheel in preschool

Natures color wheel in preschool

I saw a color wheel at one of our schools recently where the class glued colorful plastic flowers on each section of the color wheel. It got me thinking why not use real flowers?

We went on a little nature walk to find flowers and put them in a bag.

Wy wasn’t exactly sure why we were picking flowers but it did get him to notice the flowers and we were able to use our color words often.

Wy liked putting the flowers and leaves (and anything else that would fit) into our small lunch bag.

Once we got back to the house, I cut out a circle and drew lines to make our color wheel shape.

Wy dumped all the flowers and leaves on the table and then he put them back into the bag.

I put some glue on a section of our wheel and then had Wy tear apart a flower and stick the petals to the glue.

Since Wy did not grasp the concept of the color wheel, I didn’t worry about which color went where on the wheel. We just tore up flowers and leaves and glued.

Wy wanted to try the gluing part too but he wasn’t quite strong enough to get the glue to come out of the bottle. We will work on the gluing skills on another day. Today was about colors and nature:)

As we put each color on, I said the color names of each flower often. When the last color we had was on the wheel, Wy couldn’t understand why we didn’t use all the flowers so he dumped the whole bag on top of our wheel.

But they didn’t stick to the glue – LOL!  So this is our finished wheel…

You will notice that we are missing the color blue. We looked everywhere today for blue but could not find any blue plants or flowers. So tomorrow, I will look for a blue flower so we can add it to the wheel.

I think I will frame this for Wy’s mommy!

Or I might just frame this one for myself:)

Links to Grow on

Be sure and check out this terrific flower shop idea on Teaching Two and Three Year Olds!

Books available on Amazon

• Sherry and Donna Posted July 26, 2010 7:58 am

That’s a lovely activity Deborah and very sensory too.
    Donna 🙂 🙂

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted July 26, 2010 9:35 am

My daughter and I were just talking about all the ways you could really bring more sensory into this idea.

• Lisa Posted July 26, 2010 10:05 am

Blue flowers are really hard, hydrangeas are the closest thing to blue I’ve ever found!
    Love the way this came out!

• Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog Posted July 26, 2010 12:15 pm

This is brilliant!! I love it, and I think I will do something similar for Clara. She would LOVE it! Great idea!!

• Carolina Posted July 26, 2010 3:22 pm

I teach colors all the time in Italian preschool (in fact it was our theme today in Italian camp) as well as lessons on flowers and gardening. This is a great variation. Can’t wait to try it!

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted July 26, 2010 4:37 pm

Be sure to share it on your blog – I would love to see it!

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted July 26, 2010 4:37 pm

Wow – how awesome to have Italian preschool!

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted July 26, 2010 4:38 pm

I never did find any blue flowers:) Maybe I should have thought of that before we started our adventure!

• Teacher Tom Posted July 26, 2010 6:10 pm

Yep, that’s moms’ biggest gripe about flowers — very few blue ones! She makes a point of planting any blue flowers she finds. She has a separate blue section in her backyard although I have no idea what they are.

• Jen Posted July 26, 2010 8:09 pm

Wonderful! Sensory and colorful.

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted July 27, 2010 12:34 am

I never did find any blue ones here:) Tell your mom to save some blue ones for me next time!!