Polk-a-dots and straws in preschool

Polk-a-dots and straws in preschool

This week, the children explored making polk-a-dots with straws.

Red, yellow, and blue paint was set out along with a straw in each paint.

The children dipped the end of the straws into the paint.

Then pressed the painted end of the straw on the paper.

New colors were added to the page as desired.

The amount of paint that was on the end of the straw determined how solid the polk-a-dots would be.

A simple process that the children enjoyed.

I just love Polk-A-Dots!

Available on Amazon

• Kristine Posted July 13, 2010 6:01 pm

I’m always trying to find different ways for my son to paint– he just turned 3.
    I guess he was a little bored with JUST doing the dots so he decided to draw a dinosaur and have it rain on him while turned the straw different ways. He had so much fun!

Thanks for this great idea 🙂 We had fun. Afterward- he wanted to do a hand print collage painting.

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted July 13, 2010 6:17 pm

Haha – adding a dinosaur is definitely much more fun:)

• Clemencia Posted July 13, 2010 7:14 pm

If you love polka dots you’ll love this http://www.education.com/activity/article/Impressionist_Dot_Art/?cid=60.21
    I hope is o.k. to post the link, I’ve been saving it to make this project with my daughter 🙂

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted July 14, 2010 11:16 am

I do love that – we did some artwork like that this summer. I took photos and will post them soon!

• meghan Posted July 14, 2010 9:42 pm

I am so doing this with my lil guy this weekend!

• Emiy Posted July 18, 2010 2:51 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for the great ideas. I tried this with my boys (http://ourlifeinpictures2008.blogspot.com/2010/07/rainbow-art.html) and they loved it, well at least the older one. Can’t wait to check out the rest of your blog for more ideas.