Turn a box into toddler fun

Turn a box into toddler fun

My plan was to decorate this box and make it really cool like this one here.

But as much as I liked the idea of making a cool oven

Wy  had other plans.

Wy was all about the play!

In and Out went Wy

And

Open and Shut went the “doors”

Since the doors were what Wy loved most…

we cut a few doors and windows out.

And played a little peek-a-boo!

While Wy climbed in and out of the box, I began to decorate the outside…

And then Wy began to undecorate!

So the box remained just a box for Wy to play with.

“knock-knock” is any body home?

What value was this play experience?

• Large Motor: Crawling

• Fine Motor: Opening and shutting the doors

• Communication Skills: “Peek-a-boo” and “Is anybody home?”

• Vocabulary: In – Out, Open-Shut, knock-knock

• Imagination: A box can be a house, an oven, a cave, or a place to hide.

• Teacher Tom Posted July 11, 2010 10:25 am

Did you know that the cardboard box was recently added to the toy hall of fame in Rochester, NY? I think it belongs at number 1!

My great disappointment right now is that the last appliance retailer in town who would save boxes for people has stopped doing it. Ahh! I don’t know what we’re going to do for giant boxes: they’re essential to childhood!

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted July 11, 2010 11:52 am

We have a local senior center that save boxes for recycling and people from all over the community drop off all there boxes at the center. We are allowed to stop by anytime and pick one up. At times, you can nab a large box too:)

• Donna-Lee Posted July 11, 2010 11:09 am

We recently moved into a new house and my 3 children have been having a great time with the empty boxes.

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted July 11, 2010 11:52 am

Wy would so want to come and play at your house today:)

• Jen Posted July 12, 2010 10:40 pm

Isn’t a box such a wonderful toy! My kids always loved empty boxes more than the toys of their shelves. Love the photos of the creative play. I recognized you on my blog today for having an awesome blog.

Jen
    Creative and Curious Kids!

• Deborah J. Stewart Posted July 13, 2010 6:19 pm

WOw – thank you Jen – I will check out your post. I am very honored:)

• Michelle Willow Posted July 21, 2010 5:02 am

Yes, cardboard box is always fun 🙂 So simple thing that can bring so much fun and can be really great as creative outlet. Deborah, thank you for link to that Bulgarian blog. Found there some coolest stuff. 🙂