This week our Discover and Explore team has chosen to share with you simple activities you can do to promote and talk about the five senses…
In my classroom, we explored the five senses in a variety of ways but the children really enjoyed exploring my DIY five senses kit. Mrs. Courtney gave me the brilliant idea of saving these plastic containers with the dividers (mine had fruit or veggies in them) for things like collage materials and sorting games and paint holders. Since the containers come with a lid, I can prepare them ahead of time and set them out as needed…
I decided to take two of my saved containers and make two five senses kits for my class to discover and explore. I filled each container with…
- Smell: A smelly fall candle
- Taste: Mini-Boxes of Raisins (enough for each child to have one)
- Touch/Feel: Sand paper and Carpet Scraps
- Sound: A windup egg timer
- Sight: A few gems and mini-magnifying glasses
And I put a label for each of the five senses inside each compartment of the kit…
I never know if my students will find something like this fun or not so I was super excited to see a group of children exploring the materials all throughout the morning. There was never a time when the materials were not being explored and some of the children asked me questions about the materials like, “What is this soft thing in here?” so I could explain “It is a piece of carpet for you to feel with your sense of touch.”…
The items that got the least attention were my candles so perhaps putting something a little more interesting in place of the candles would be smart…
The favorite senses to explore were taste (since everyone got a box of raisins) and sound (the children loved playing with the egg timers) with the magnifiers coming in at a close third…
Stick around and check out all the other Five Senses ideas shared below…. Available on Amazon
Discover and Explore: Forest!
Currently Open - Five Senses
September 25 – Pumpkins
October 2 – Community Helpers
October 9 – Halloween
Please read the following guidelines for sharing:
- Share family-friendly posts related to the weekly topic — kids activities, crafts, recipes, nature outings, printables, etc.
- By linking up, you are giving me permission to share your post including one photo in our weekly feature post and on social media channels.
- Visit 2-3 other posts that have linked up, find some new ideas & meet new friends!
- If you’d like, grab a button for your post — we love to share and want to find lots of great activities to highlight for you!
The linky will remain open for one week. Then all five co-hosts will feature activities in a separate post the Friday after the linky closes. All featured posts will be shared on the Discover and Explore Pinterest Board. (Be sure to follow so you don’t miss any features!)
The Discover & Explore Team