The process of setting up the preschool classroom

by Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. on August 17, 2012

in Children's Studio, Classroom Setup

My first day of preschool begins on August 27th, 2012 and this is what my classrooms look like today! Yikes!  Both classrooms are sitting empty because my husband will be painting the inside of the indoor classroom this weekend and power washing the outdoor classroom over the weekend.

Indoor preschool classroom

Outdoor classroom

In the mean time, my assistant and I have been spending time organizing all of our preschool supplies that will go back into the classroom…

Classroom Resources

And we have been organizing our classroom curriculum materials like children’s books, Weekly Readers, flannel board stories, teaching resources, and so forth…

Children’s Books

Teaching Resources

And we have been preparing and mailing out preschool packets to all our parents so they will know what to expect the first few weeks of school…

And in the process, I have new ideas for the classroom that I have asked my husband to help me build…

In addition, I am refurbishing just a few old pieces of furniture I picked up for my classroom…

As we complete the set up of our classroom, Ms. Courtney and I will document the process and I will share as much as I can with you. I can’t wait to share with you the finished results – it will be an amazing school year!

Oh, and as far as our outdoor play area – we are working on that too! So much to do, so little time!

-Teach Preschool on Instagram
-Deborah Stewart on Google+

1 Trisha August 17, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I can’t wait to see everything completed. So inspiring! It’s nice to have husbands as assistants too!

2 Kristina August 17, 2012 at 5:00 pm

So fun! Can’t wait to see the process and the end product. I used to love setting up my classroom every fall so can’t wait to live vicariously through you :)

3 Katie West August 17, 2012 at 5:50 pm

The classroom space looks great! Can’t wait to see it when it’s all set up. I love seeing how other teacher’s set up shop.

4 Michelle August 17, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Such a wonderfully big space! What I wouldn’t give to have that much room for my preschool class. I look forward to seeing how you get it all together. I’ve spent the last week working in my classroom getting it all ready for my 3′s that return to school on the 29th. I’ll be posting pictures of my finished room in the next week (hopefully). Good luck getting it all set up!

5 Julie Locke August 17, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I think it would actually be fun to be able to start completely from scratch again. There’s just so much potential in that big empty space…

6 Karen August 17, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I like your classroom– all the windows and space! And, the outside classroom is marvelous, too… what a great idea! Can’t wait to see your
‘finished’ product!

What kinds of things do you put in your preschool packets?

Best wishes for a wonderful, successful year!
~Karen

7 Jessica Clayton August 18, 2012 at 12:09 am

For your outside area: have you considered a Sierra Club’s Nature Explore Classroom. Check it out. I have to be honest. It’s somewhat expensive, but the results look amazing! Good Luck!

8 Ellieliz August 18, 2012 at 7:52 am

YAY! so exciting! Cant wait to see the finished rooms and backyard!

9 Wendy August 18, 2012 at 8:27 am

So excited to see the process! You inspire me!

10 Susan Case August 18, 2012 at 11:04 am

Looks like the children are in for some great fun – and learning. Aren’t husbands who know how to use tools wonderful?

11 andie jaye August 18, 2012 at 3:30 pm

so excited to see what it’s going to end up looking like! setting up and rearranging the rooms was always sooo exciting to me! and you’ve got such great spaces to work with!

12 Andrea August 18, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Oh my god…I’ll have the same work in January when the school I work will move to a better and bigger building. But it’s all worth the hard work.

13 Jolie Delja August 20, 2012 at 11:25 am

Hi Deborah,
I am curious if you can post in more detail your welcome mailing to the parents of your incoming students? What do you include in the packet and how do you make sure the parents actually read everything you want include?
Thank you!
Jolie

14 Stacie August 20, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I’m so envious of your outdoor classroom! It’s awesome!!

15 Nadine September 30, 2012 at 5:23 am

Looks very neat! I am considering to open a preschool here in Egypt and I was just wondering if you’d let me in on what’s in all those boxes for classroom supplies? What items do you leave out for the kids to play with all year and which items do you rotate around?
Thank you for a beautiful blog! I’d be grateful for any advice!

16 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 30, 2012 at 11:06 am

Hi Nadine – that is a big question for one comment:) I wish I could stop right now and answer it for you basket by basket but I think I will have to see if I can perhaps write about it in a blog post.

17 Nadine October 3, 2012 at 7:36 am

That would be wonderful! I really love your blog. Since I discovered a week ago, I have been reading everything, month by month, post by past. :-) I admire your creativity! I’m sure those baskets hold quite a few treasures. I’ll be looking forward to that blog post… ;-)

18 Nadine October 3, 2012 at 7:37 am

Sorry for the typos. My son is sitting on my hands as I write.

19 Deborah February 21, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Love your spaces – left me wanting to see more!

{ 1 trackback }