Using lots of glitter on our glittery stars in preschool

by Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. on December 22, 2011

in Christmas, Creative Art, Glittery Stars, Star Tree Topper

This was the first time, I have introduced the use of glitter to my students this year.  And oh my, did they love it!! And oh my, did they use a ton of it!!

I suppose I could have approached this in a different way but I was actually prepared to let the children waist  explore all the glitter I had set out:)

In the process of using all that glitter, we made one star out of cardboard for the class Christmas tree topper…

Our cardboard star was then glued to a paper tube and set aside to dry. After it was dry, we placed the star on top of our Christmas tree…

The children enjoyed this glittery experience. In time, we will focus on being a bit more frugal with the glitter but since this was our very first time to explore this new material, I wanted the children to feel free to explore.  We did talk about the different holes in the top of the bottle and how the lid didn’t need to be set on the biggest hole openings – but that didn’t quite register with the children as a concern just yet…

I have to show you this star that one of my girls made. The happy face was so perfect that I thought my assistant must have somehow helped her but as you can see from the photos, this little one did it all by herself…

After all the stars were done, all of the different glitter colors were now mixed together so I just scooped it all into one tray and saved it in an empty glitter container for our next glittery adventure…

Available on Amazon

-Teach Preschool on Instagram
-Deborah Stewart on Google+

1 Leeanne A December 22, 2011 at 7:16 am

This is so exciting – I just love glitter! I have learned to tape up a few holes in the shakers so there is not a sea of glitter on the table after! LOL However there are times when ya just have to let it flow!
I really would love to find a source to get bulk glitter really cheap! I always grab it at garage sales and thrift shops when ever it’s available!

2 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 22, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Ok – that is a good idea. I should have thought of that after the fifth child turned the dial on the lid. They just look and see that some of the holes are closed and think – “that needs to be opened more!” No matter what I say, they just can’t help but turn that dial:)

3 Little Wonders' Days December 22, 2011 at 7:38 am

I remember loving, and I mean loving, glitter when I was little. Seriously, just look at it…so sparkly. So many moms and teachers shy away from it, the mess I’m sure, but kids love it. Glad to see you just rolled with it and had fun! The stars are very pretty.

4 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 22, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Many do shy away from it – I know even for myself, I have to get in the “glitter mode” for something like this:) But it is such a wonderful product and as much as teachers may dread it – the children love it all that much more!

5 Scott December 22, 2011 at 8:29 am

I never use glitter. I’m not sure why. (Maybe some childhood glitter trauma!) I love a good mess but we will not be using glitter.

I love how you let them explore and experiment with the use of glitter. You’re a brave one, Mrs. Deborah!

6 hayley December 22, 2011 at 10:17 am

I love glitter but have a limited supply. In order to have enough for the year, I tape over many of the holes on the shaker. this way the children can explore and I can ration my limited supply.

7 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 22, 2011 at 5:29 pm

This is a good idea Hayley! I hadn’t thought of doing that but now it is on my list for saving glitter in the future:)

8 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 22, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Oh Scott – I can’t believe you will not break down and try the glitter in your class. We are seriously going to have to give you some glitter therapy:)

9 Michael Ann December 22, 2011 at 10:11 am

Oh, we love glitter at our preschool too! We let them sprinkled it in the playdough as well. We use the ones with only the small holes, I think they come from a school supply company. Anyway, this is a great idea and one I might even use next year for our tree at home. Why did I not think of the carboard tube idea? Thanks!

10 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 22, 2011 at 5:30 pm

This was actually something my daughter made for me when she was only two. I saved hers and put it on my tree at home every year. I decided that we could make one for our class too!

11 Ms. Jessi December 22, 2011 at 10:14 am

We did some glue and glitter last week and I’m still finding it everywhere! I do enjoy the look on their faces when the glitter basket comes out. :)

12 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 22, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Oh yes, they were very excited to try that glitter!!

13 ApplePie December 22, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Seems like the kids enjoy the session and made some good arts as well.

14 Kim December 22, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I had to share this from my own classroom….we were making ornaments for our classroom tree & one of my students says to me, “I cant use any glitter, my Mom doesnt like it in our house”. I said ok, we wont use any on your decorations. I later asked his Mom about what he had said. She said, the last project he brought home, I said yes, honey that’s nice & I like it, but go throw it away now. I was so saddened by this. We havent used any glitter on his art since then. I didnt want his things thrown away. :(

15 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 22, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Perhaps for the future, you can let him make two projects. One to hang in the classroom with glitter and one to take home without glitter. Or perhaps you can wrap the glittery project in a baggie and tape it shut to send home with a little poem. Something like …

(Child’s name) made this at school today
And added glitter and glue.
So you won’t have to throw it away,
I sealed it in a bag for you!

16 Having fun with our kids December 22, 2011 at 4:14 pm

We’re just getting into glitter. Love these new ideas.

17 Sheryl @ Teaching 2 and 3 Year Olds December 22, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Yep, we use glitter with our 3′s and yep, they love to dump it! If I take my eyes of them for a moment, we have a big glitter pile. But I so love it for the holidays, and sometimes for a few other activities!

18 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. December 22, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Haha – yes, I stayed near by the glitter table the entire time:)

19 Ali December 23, 2011 at 6:11 am

Oh I love this. We use glitter all the time and end up with mountains being poured on. My daughter loves it and I put up with it.

{ 2 trackbacks }