Painting with circles in preschool

by Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. on November 2, 2011

in Circle painting, Paper tube circle painting

We are off on a new adventure as we explore shapes over the next few weeks and today, we spent a little time painting circles…

Just to make it a little more interesting, I stapled groups of paper tubes together for the children to paint with.  I had tubes in groups of one, two, three, and four circles….

I also set out new colors of paint for the children to paint with.  It seems we have used so many fall colors lately that it was nice to see a little pink and purple on the table for a day…

We explore shapes all the time in our classroom but I like to highlight shapes throughout the year so today we just focused on making circles…

This last photo I am sharing just because I thought it was interesting to see this child examining the tube. You never know what will be of ultimate interest to a child in the process of creating…

-Teach Preschool on Instagram
-Deborah Stewart on Google+

1 Brenna November 2, 2011 at 6:13 am

Good idea for a new painting technique. I’m gonna have to try this one. thanks.

2 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. November 2, 2011 at 9:07 pm

It has lots of possibilities!

3 Amber November 2, 2011 at 7:44 am

Something that happened once, entirely on accident, but now I do it intentionally is that I had put a good amount of dishsoap in the paint. When they were painting with the tubes and other cylinder containers to make circles, they would actually end up with bubbles on their paper! Then it would pop leaving a neat effect inside/outside the circle print.

4 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. November 2, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Oh – that is such a great idea Amber. I will give that a try!

5 Esther November 2, 2011 at 8:29 am

I love the bundled roll stamping idea! My daughter has a circle theme @school. May be we will try some circle stamping @home.

6 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. November 2, 2011 at 9:07 pm

I love that you are extending her learning at home! What a great mom!

7 Little Wonders' Days November 2, 2011 at 8:30 am

This looks like fun! I love that it is so easy too.

8 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. November 2, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Definitely super easy:)

9 Heather E. November 2, 2011 at 10:53 am

This would be a GREAT way to make wrapping paper! To paint on the non-shiny side of freezer paper! So cute! Thank you for the idea.

10 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. November 2, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Great idea Heather!

11 Kierna November 2, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Deborah – you’re a life saver, I wanted a new but simple painting activity for this week & lo behold when I log on this evening there you are with this – thanks! Kierna

12 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. November 2, 2011 at 9:05 pm

This was definitely simple:)

13 Jill November 2, 2011 at 3:40 pm

We just did a painting project with different colors as well because I felt as though the art work was looking “gloomy” with all the reds, oragnes, browns, and blacks! I love using toilet paper tubes! And I love all the inspriation i get out of your blog!!!

14 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. November 2, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Thank you Jill:) I love the fall colors but I too was glad for a brief change:)

15 Home School Coach November 3, 2011 at 4:10 pm

This was such a good idea. I love toilet paper rolls. I am going to use this idea for sure. I also had a wonderful time doing shape activities with my grandchildren. I’d love to share http://home-school-coach.com/teaching-children-geometry-through-shapes/

16 Jenni & Jody November 4, 2011 at 12:34 pm

This is a great, inexpensive, easy-to-do idea for parents looking for a rainy day activity. The pictures on your blog make every post interesting! Thanks for sharing your creativity.

17 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. November 5, 2011 at 10:41 am

Thanks for stopping by Jenni and Jody!

18 Tammy Herr March 4, 2012 at 8:12 pm

My preschool class did this! They loved it!!! Def recommended (my class is 3/4 year o lds).

19 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. March 4, 2012 at 9:02 pm

That is so awesome to hear Tammy!

{ 1 trackback }