Painting fall trees with egg cartons in preschool

by Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. on September 25, 2011

in Creative Art, Fall Leaf Egg Carton Prints

After a little fun with fall leaves on the flannel board, we explored a little fall leaf egg carton printing..

The children started by drawing their own fall tree branches on a sheet of paper…

Then they dipped the bottom of a cut-up egg carton container into some red, yellow, or orange paint…

Next, they pressed the egg cartons on the paper to make fall leaf prints…

Each child chose a little different approach to their painting with the egg carton…

Some of the children preferred to go up and down with the egg carton and others chose to rub the egg cartons around on their paper…

Although we had paint on the bottom of the egg cartons when we finished, I still saved the egg cartons to use again for another day…

Linking up with No Time for Flashcards!

-Deborah Stewart on Google+ or Teach Preschool G+ Page

1 Lessons from the Boys September 25, 2011 at 10:58 am

I love this idea. My 2 year old doesn’t like to paint, for fear of getting dirty. But I think he would like this, because his hands won’t go near the paint!
Thanks

2 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 26, 2011 at 12:20 am

Haha – this may just help!

3 Gaby September 25, 2011 at 11:30 am

Thanks! Excellent idea. I`m goning to do this job with my kids

4 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 26, 2011 at 12:20 am

Thanks you Gaby:)

5 Amber September 25, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Yes, simple but “new” idea for me. One thing I love about blogs. Even after 15 years I can find a new twist on things. Easy to get in a rut when it comes to projects. Anyway, this is a perfect project for tomorrow! I think we’ll work together and make a fall tree for the entranceway. Like another reader mentioned, I have a 2 year old that doesn’t like to get paint on him and every time he uses a brush he gets it on him somehow or another so we’ll try it with egg cartons! Thanks for the idea!

6 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 26, 2011 at 12:20 am

I have some children that do not like getting paint on their hands so this did seem to be a nice alternative. Have fun with your project!!

7 Lauralee September 25, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Such an awesome idea! I never would have thought of it.

I’m reposting it on Facebook!

8 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 26, 2011 at 12:19 am

Thanks for sharing it with others Lauralee!

9 Andrea September 25, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I love that! I needed a leaf craft for our fall unit – thanks for sharing this one!

10 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 26, 2011 at 12:18 am

You are welcome Andrea:)

11 Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas September 25, 2011 at 8:15 pm

oh, I had never thought of this! How creative & fun! I love recycling & crafting crafts! :) The trees came out great & it’s always nice to see how different the kids finished products come out.

Hope to see you share on the Sunday Showcase

Bern

12 KM September 25, 2011 at 10:55 pm

So lovely!!!!

13 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 26, 2011 at 12:18 am

14 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 26, 2011 at 12:18 am

I keep forgetting to add my link! Thanks for the reminder:)

15 Kristina September 26, 2011 at 3:50 am

These turned out great. I agree with Amber- love how simple it is… and yet, something I wouldn’t have thought of. I have tons of egg cartons stacked in my “trash” cupboard… this could be fun to do with a Halloween theme too. White paint on black paper (dragging them a bit) and make lots of little ghosts… or orange paint and make lots of little pumpkins. Love it when your ideas move me to try something different.

PS- I shared your blog on my new weekly Sunday Blog Share post. http://toddlerapproved.blogspot.com/2011/09/sunday-blog-share.html

Thanks for your wonderful ideas!

16 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 26, 2011 at 9:14 am

Haha!! I agree – the ideas are endless!!!

17 Christie-Childhood 101 September 26, 2011 at 4:59 am

What interesting prints, I love this :)

18 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 26, 2011 at 9:15 am

I liked that it made four at once – I think we will explore it some more so the children can see other ways to use the ‘four-print’ process…

19 La-La's Home Daycare September 26, 2011 at 6:59 am

What a wonderful idea! I have plenty egg cartons I have been saving. We can put some to use now!

20 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 26, 2011 at 9:13 am

Terrific!

21 Darlene November 4, 2011 at 4:59 pm

What a great idea, using egg cartons for leaves!

22 Reyna November 14, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I now know how to incoporate Autumn with this weeks lesson plans!! :)

23 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. November 14, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Yay!! I love it when a plan comes together:)

24 Akane January 5, 2012 at 2:34 am

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing! I did some egg carton painting with my daughter…and she loved it! http://www.jugglingwithkids.com/2012/01/egg-carton-painting.html

25 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. January 5, 2012 at 2:39 am