Apple tree fingerplay in preschool

by Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. on September 6, 2011

in Flannel Board Stories, Way Up High In the Apple Tree

“Way Up High in the Apple Tree” is one of my all time old favorite finger plays. I have been using it since I started out as a preschool teacher over 20 years ago. If you don’t know this simple rhyme, let me share it with you…

Way up high in the apple tree,

Five red apples smiled at me.

I shook that tree as hard as I could,

Dooowwwwwwwn came an apple….

Mmmm, it was good!

Repeat the rhyme until all the apples are off of the tree!

I like letting the children say this rhyme first by just using our hands. We act out the rhyme by shaking our tree and making our hands go down to the ground as each apple falls down.

Then we repeat the rhyme using the flannel board. Each child takes a turn removing an apple from the tree.

Be sure to use lots of expression when sharing fingerplays and rhymes with your students. We only have one sad little apple left on that tree…

During center time, I leave the felt pieces and the flannel board out where children can give this a try on their own…

Using the flannel board with your fingerplays is a great way to teach rhymes in preschool and build a child’s memory of those rhymes. Do you have a favorite apple rhyme you like to use too? Perhaps you can teach me a new one to add to my list!

Links to grow on..

See how you can make your own flannel board here.

See a fun book to read with your apple tree rhyme here.

Available on Amazon

-Deborah Stewart on Google+ or Teach Preschool G+ Page

1 Anne September 6, 2011 at 10:33 am

If your readers are interested in flannelboards, they should check out Flannel Friday. Lots of pictures on the pinterest account: http://pinterest.com/flannelfriday/

Also got your 404 error when clicking on the make your own flannelboard link.

2 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 6, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I fixed it – thanks for the heads up and the links!

3 andiejaye September 6, 2011 at 11:23 am

i love this one! felt boards are one of the greatest inventions. love the bitty in the picture sitting in circle time with her lovey blankie. too precious for words :) that gave me a happy heart. thanks and have a blessed day!

4 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 6, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Yes – we love that blankie!

5 Anna @ The Imagination Tree September 6, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Cute! I don’t know that rhyme, probably not familiar here in the UK. But it’s so sweet! It could be a great time to introduce it to my little ones, thank you! PS love using felt for play and learning!

6 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 6, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Now – you can make it familiar there too!

7 Brenna September 6, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Love this fingerplay. I have an entire theme week on apples, so I’m definitely gonna remember this activity. We do Johnny Appleseed, too, and the students learn the names of different apple varieties. It’s a fun week.

8 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 6, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Sounds like great fun Brenna!

9 Kelly September 6, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Love it!!! The children will think this is super!!!

10 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 6, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Thanks Kelly! It is a very old favorite!

11 Aimee September 6, 2011 at 8:17 pm

That is the cutest idea ever! They must of loved it.

12 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 6, 2011 at 8:30 pm

They look so darling on my wall too:)

13 Leeanne A September 6, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I really should get out my flannel boards – I haven’t done that in awhile! Oh and Aimee great link!

14 Leeanne A September 6, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Woops sorry – I ment Annes link! :)

15 kristin @preschool daze September 7, 2011 at 6:53 am

we did this too! but funny, i’ve never done more than 2 apples on the tree (each hand turns to a fist to be the apples).

we’ll up the number now. : )

16 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. September 7, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Haha – I usually choose the number of apples based on the number of children in the group or based upon how long I think they will stay interested.

17 Jackie September 8, 2011 at 9:27 pm

We’ve been using this poem recently too! We made apple shakers out of paper plates and beans but I love your felt board ideas too. I just made our first felt board and it has been a big hit! Thanks for the play ideas! We’ll be trying this out.

{ 1 trackback }