The early childhood world is just a bit smaller now

by Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. on August 22, 2011

in Meet the Experts, Meeting New Friends

Today will be my first day in preschool. I will be sharing many wonderful things about my sweet class so be sure to stick with me.

While I am eagerly waiting for my new students to arrive in class, I wanted to take this time to share with you some of the amazing folks I have met in person since I started reaching out to others through my blog and through other means of social networking. I never knew I would ever get the wonderful chance to meet so many amazing people. Through technology, I have found that the world of early childhood education isn’t so far out of reach, it is instead just a bit smaller…

Stacie from The Amazing Mess!

Stacie from The Amazing Mess came to Indianapolis along with her friend, Crystal from Meet Money Saving Mom last weekend ( I didn’t get a photo with Crystal because she was the one taking the photo of Stacie and me). We met up downtown Indianapolis and had a fun visit at Starbucks! Next time, they need to join me at my house for dinner  :)

Ann isn’t a blogger but she is a new friend that I met while down town with Stacie. Ann said she followed my blog and so we had to stop and take a photo! Ann had come all the way downtown from the south side of Indy to meet Crystal but was sweet enough to go out of her way to meet me too. Ann should join us for dinner at my house too!

Lisa Murphy "The Ooey Gooey Lady"

I have had the privilege of meeting up with the very popular Lisa at several conferences now! Maybe I can get her to stop over for dinner next time she comes to Indianapolis…

Ellen Galinsky, President and Co-Founder of Families and Work Institute

Ellen is such a kind and gentle person that you would never know when meeting her what a major role she plays in the advancement of early childhood education. I had the privilege of meeting Ellen here in Indianapolis as well – maybe she can come to dinner some time too! I have a very large table!

Jim Aylesworth

Jim also came to Indianapolis and while here, I got to sit down with him for a bit and listen to him share some history of his work as an author. I had him autograph some of my favorites. Do you think I can get Jim to come to dinner with the rest of us?

Karen Nemeth of "Language Castle"

Karen is just one of those people who reaches out to everyone and makes them feel at home. She has been such a huge support to me on my blogging journey. I am counting on Karen to join me for dinner at my house next time she is in Indianapolis!

Debbie Clement, "Rainbows Within Reach"

Debbie Jo Clement and I met each other in Washington DC and found out that we had the same middle name. Debbie is a wonderful author and song writer and the kind of person who lights up a room. I am counting on Debbie to take me up on dinner at my house some day!

Other folks I have met along my journey…

Greg and Steve, Singer and Songwriters

Charlotte Diamond, Singer and Songwriter

Red Grammer, Singer and Songwriter

Do you think I can get all these folks to join me for dinner? Perhaps one day but just meeting these leaders in early childhood education and sharing a moment of their talent and great heart for young children has been motivating to me.

-Deborah Stewart on Google+ or Teach Preschool G+ Page

1 Wendy Young, LMSW, BCD August 22, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Deborah,

You may have a very large table, but I think your heart is even bigger!

Wendy =)

2 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 23, 2011 at 12:28 am

Ah Wendy – thank you for that sweet comment. You are invited to dinner too!!

3 jeanne August 22, 2011 at 11:31 pm

I agree with Wendy :) Your table and heart are quite large! Love all the ‘who’s – who’ photos!

4 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 23, 2011 at 12:29 am

Jeanne – I better rush out and get a bigger table because I am not going to be able to fit you and everyone else:) The who’s who photos are fun to share!

5 jenny @ let the children play August 23, 2011 at 12:57 am

So Deborah, when are you coming to Australia to meet some of us x

6 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 23, 2011 at 1:37 am

It is on my list Jenny! My husband and I have been wanting to go their for some time!

7 TheBargainBabe August 23, 2011 at 1:22 am

Wow! I have found some new blogs through your post here. I knew about Money Saving Mom (Crystal) already, so jealous that you got to meet her!

8 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 23, 2011 at 1:37 am

She is super sweet:)

9 Vanessa @Pre-K Pages August 23, 2011 at 8:09 am

What fun Deb! Add me to the list of people with the middle name Jo :)

10 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 23, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I didn’t know you had the middle name Jo!! No wonder I like you so much:) I thought it was because you are so smart and talented but now I know it is our shared name! LOL!

11 Jamie @ hands on : as we grow August 23, 2011 at 8:34 am

Amazing! I hope to meet you someday too Deborah! You are an amazing person. And all your ‘guests’ are too!

12 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 23, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I hope we cross paths in person Jamie – that would truly be a blessing to me!

13 Greg August 23, 2011 at 8:47 am

Deborah, I am sure they were just as excited to meet you. Perhaps you were their day’s highlight.
I echo Jenny’s sentiments about coming Down Under!

14 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 23, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I have so many friends there now – How could I resist? I would love to go to Australia!

15 Nora August 23, 2011 at 9:46 am

How wonderful! I may have to steal this idea for a blog post of my own! I LOVE conferences, I’m always in aw of the leaders in the field and it truly amazes me the professional and personal connections that have come to pass and deepened all because of social media.

16 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 23, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Isn’t it amazing? It is so nice how social networking has made it possible to actually meet folks from all paths in the field of early childhood education.

17 Debbie Clement August 23, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Wow!!!! I feel like I’ve really made it to the big-time to be listed amidst this group. It is truly a treasure to get to know Deborah in person. All of her efforts on behalf of children & those who love them are indeed eclipsed by her compassion — which shines thru every conversation, with the queen or the janitor.

This Deborah is brilliant on so many levels. I feel fortunate to have her focus and undivided attention when we are together.

Thanks for including me, Deborah.

Debbie JO

(Vanessa, seriously another JO? We need to have club t-shirts made!)

18 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 23, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Haha – I want a t-shirt!

19 ayn colsh August 23, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I can’t wait to meet some of the awesome folks I’ve met through ECE groups online! I feel like I already know many of them, so a face to face meeting would be pretty cool. And if I’m ever in Indianapolis, you can bet I’ll stop by to see you! Maybe we could go out for dinner, since you might need a little break from cooking for everyone! :)

20 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. August 23, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Haha – you have a deal Ayn:)