Simple tip for organizing activities that go with your favorite children’s books

I thought I would share how I keep track of some¬†of my favorite teaching resources that go with some of my favorite children’s books…

There are some activities or materials that I just know I will want to use the next time I read a specific book to my class so I simply tuck the activity or resource inside the book. For example, I keep this simple elephant pattern for making a patchwork painted Elmer the Elephant inside the book…

I have a second copy of the book that I leave out for the children to read but when I don’t have a second copy, I simply remove my materials from the book and put them back in once the children are done…

I keep all kinds of things in the back of my books like the transparencies I use for “The Mixed-Up Chameleon” by Eric Carle and my apple stick puppets and felt board pieces that go with the book “Ten Red Apples” by Pat Hutchins…

I also keep a little frog beanie baby with the book “Hop Jump” so we can pass it around as we read the book and play other frog games

With my “F is for Flag” book, I keep a folded up flag in the back so we can practice folding and discussing how to care for flags

With my “Very Hungry Caterpillar” by Eric Carle, I keep my felt sequencing game. I think I have kept this game in this book for over 20 years!

This isn’t the only way I keep track of my teaching resources but when I am in a hurry, I have gotten in the habit of simply tucking the materials inside the book for safe keeping or until I can come back later and put it away.

Comments

1. Linda says

I do the same kind of thing but I keep mine in one of those plastic library hang up bags (Libraries here in Australia use them for books with tapes generally) as sometimes my materials are a little too big to fit in the book. I have a teeny plush caterpillar that goes with my Hungry Caterpillar book along with some sequencing cards with velcro attached.

2. says

I love these Ideas! So often I try to tie stories and art together and this is a great way of keeping those resources well cared for! I’ve added them to my ‘pin board’ on ‘pinterest’ which means that others may see them and click on the link which brings them right back to your articles. It’s a great community for teachers and crafters and just about anybody really :) If you haven’t’ already joined and become addicted, email me back and I’ll send you an invite too. Sorry if this sounds like spam, it’s really more of a compliment and shared excitement :)

3. says

What an ingenious, yet simple idea. Aren’t most of the best ideas simple ones though. I will have to try this strategy as I’m always misplacing this thing & that. Of course many of them i leave out for the children anyway, so they might end up anywhere.

4. Danielle Morris says

I am trying to look for ideas to go with my books this summer. I would love it if you would ask on your facebook page for everyone to list one of their favorite books and their extended activities to go with them. Your ideas are great, I havent ever read Elmer I will have to check it out.

5. Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. says

I will leave the question tonight before I go to bed! I am sure you will get more answers than you could possibly need:)

6. Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. says

It serves me well for the most part! Sometimes things can still get lost but I use this especially when I am in a rush!

7. Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. says

I will stop by and take a look Lorie… I have other ways of keeping materials too but this is something I use when I am in a rush or procrastinate on organizing in a better way:)

8. Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. says

Great idea to use the plastic bag too! I have lots of stuff that would certainly not fit inside the back of my books and I usually can’t find them when I need them:)

9. says

Of course you can imagine that one of my very favorite things on earth is seeing how teachers extend picture books!!! VOILA!!

I love the thought of 20 year old felt pieces!!! I would ascertain from that concept that this system is working for you, Deborah!

10. Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. says

You books have lots of potential for extending the content into all areas of the classroom Debbie!

11. says

thanks so much for the idea! i’m constantly looking for organizational tips, as i can’t quite seem to keep track of my books and their accompanying resources.