Five simple tips for summer time learning

by Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. on June 3, 2011

in Five Tips for Summer Time Learning, Media

Today, Indiana Fox 59 Morning News invited me to come and share some tips for keeping the learning ongoing during the summer time. Some of you may be thinking “Hey, its summer so let the kids chill!”  I agree, kids should spend time relaxing and enjoying their summer but there are ways to keep the learning going without having to make it feel like summer school…

Oh, and before I go on – let me give a big SHOUT OUT and thank you to my friends on Teach Preschool on Facebook. I asked the folks who follow Teach Preschool on Facebook to help me come up with a few ideas and they came up with far more than I could talk about in this news segment. After reading all of their amazing suggestions, here are the tips I decided to share…

Tip Number One:  Create a bucket list

Yesterday, I shared my nieces Toddler Fun Bucket but for children who are a bit older you may wish to create a bucket list.  No need for me to write about this because there are already some wonderful articles about creating a bucket list from Living Montessori Now and Little Wonders Days.

I created the summer bucket list form (see above) to share in my news segment but the pdf isn’t on my home computer so I will add it tomorrow for those of you who would like to download a copy…

Tip Number Two: Read, Read, Read

Reading is one of the most important ways to promote learning during the summer. Reading can be done anywhere – anytime. Include favorite children’s books or magazines to read together and invite your child to read environmental print that is around you everyday. Environmental print can include the back of a cereal box, a menu, a grocery list, and a recipe.

Learn more ways you can promote reading during the summer with these five simple tips shared on Spin Doctor Parenting: “Help Your Kids Prevent Summer Brain Drain” .

Tips Number Three: Cooking with kids

Cooking is such a wonderful and fun way to promote all kinds of math, science, language, literacy, and daily living skills.  Cooking with kids is something I will have to write more about – as the ideas of how children can learn though cooking are abundant! Be sure to have handy a few children’s cookbooks to promote more reading as well. And don’t forget clean-up time – a little time learning to clean up teaches responsibility and a responsible student is a successful student…

Tip Number Four: Board Games

Be sure to introduce your child to a few new board games over the summer. Board games promote strategical thinking, a sense of fairness, playing by the rules, taking a turn, as well as all kinds of core concepts for learning. Sometimes, playing board games with a young child can seem difficult because of that “fairness” or “I want to be the winner” issue. Be patient and keep it fun but remember – the best place for a child to work through some of these issues is in an environment where he or she feels safe and secure….

Tip Number Five: Get Outside and Play

Out door play is a critical component to addressing the needs of the whole child – the whole learner. Out door play offers many opportunities for exercise, play, and exploring the child’s natural environment. You don’t want to structure every moment of your child’s summer but throwing in a scavenger hunt or a family walk in the park and then journaling about it later is a great way to build memories, get a little exercise, and promote learning.  To learn more about what kids can do for outdoor play – visit – Let the Children Play!

I hope your child’s summer is filled with many wonderful opportunities to learn, play, and relax with the family!  You can view my tips for summer time learning on Fox 59 by clicking the “play” button below or go to Fox 59 Website!

If you are viewing this post by email or in a reader, you may need to come to the blog to see my latest news segment: Summer Time Learning!

And one more blog post with summer time ideas from Educational Creativity!

-Teach Preschool on Instagram
-Deborah Stewart on Google+

1 Laura@art4littlehands June 3, 2011 at 2:31 am

Thanks! This post is now bookmarked and I will be getting all ready for my kids summer tomorrow. I think these tips will really help me to make it a fun summer for us all.

2 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. June 3, 2011 at 8:48 am

With your creativity – I have no doubt you will have a wonderful summer!

3 Annette W June 3, 2011 at 8:20 am

This looks a lot like my plans for the summer. I only have two recipes for cooking though…Chex Mix and Rice Krispie Treats. (We bake together frequently already.) What are some other kid friendly recipes??

Have fun!

4 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. June 3, 2011 at 8:45 am

Good question Annette – I will send you an email with some ideas for you to look over!

5 Vanessa @Pre-K Pages June 3, 2011 at 8:31 am

Wonderful ideas! You are such an inspiration! I especially like the list, I think it ties everything together nicely and helps organize the ideas for little ones (and parents).

6 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. June 3, 2011 at 8:46 am

Thank you Vanessa – there are so many more great ideas too. I just couldn’t include them all:)

7 Child Care Aware(R) of Central Missouri June 3, 2011 at 11:27 am

Love the idea of a summertime bucket list for kids!

8 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. June 4, 2011 at 1:34 am

9 Scott June 3, 2011 at 11:46 am

Great list of ideas, Deborah. I think my head is filling up with inspiration. (Now, that doesn’t really sound like a good thing, does it?)

10 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. June 4, 2011 at 1:34 am

LOL Scott – just what you need is more inspiration!!

11 Ashley MacQuarrie June 3, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Thanks for sharing these tips! The Bucket List is a great idea. I’ll have to share these activities with the parents of our students.

12 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. June 4, 2011 at 1:34 am

I think your parents will enjoy the ideas!

13 Wendy Young, LMSW, BCD June 3, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Deborah,

What a FAB list! Thanks for the link back to the Spin-Doctor Parenting Blog. I adore everything you do! Thanks for being such a champion for children and parents everywhere! You teach locally, but your reach is global!

Wendy @Kidlutions

14 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. June 4, 2011 at 1:34 am

Thank you for stopping by Wendy! I feel the very same way about all that your do!

15 Kelly, Little Wonders' Days June 3, 2011 at 11:00 pm

You look so comfortable on tv! I love your list of ideas. I need to incorporate more board games into our day. My littlest ones are just starting to understand Candy Land. Thanks again for the blog mention.

16 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. June 4, 2011 at 1:33 am

17 Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree June 4, 2011 at 9:15 am

Great List and reminders!

18 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. June 6, 2011 at 12:31 am

Thanks for stopping by Melissa!

19 Melissa Taylor June 4, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I love this preschool version of a bucket list!
. . . http://imaginationsoup.net/2011/06/viva-boredom-let-your-kids-get-bored/

20 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. June 6, 2011 at 12:31 am

I do too – it was a nice surprise when my niece sent it to me:)

21 KM June 4, 2011 at 11:02 pm

You are a super star!!!!! Fox was lucky to have you!!!! All the parents who happened to catch your ideas and tips are lucky too. :) :)

22 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. June 6, 2011 at 12:31 am

Ahh, thank you Katherine!

23 Deb @ Living Montessori Now June 5, 2011 at 3:34 am

Great ideas for summer, Deborah! I always enjoy your news segments, too! I added a link to this post at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2011/06/02/how-to-create-a-summer-bucket-list-for-your-family/

24 Deborah J. Stewart, M.Ed. June 6, 2011 at 12:32 am

Thank you for the link-up Deb – you are such a sweetheart!

25 Kristah June 13, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Thanks so much for posting my link. It has brought me a lot of traffic and confidence. My daughter loves to cook, too. I would love to hear your ideas for simple kid loving recipes for extra picky 4 year olds.

{ 1 trackback }